User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help! Anyone have serious issues with cargo cap limits

We just began our full time adventure in our 2020 GD Solitude 390 RK-R. GVWR 16800 (14576 UVW )After driving 2 hours had a blowout! Before first drive we weighed at CAT scale reading said 14620 on rig axel when weighed attached to truck. When weighed without being attached was over 18000 -yikes!!! Didn’t seem that full- had lots of space. So dumped a TON of stuff-sadly. Now we have the blowout so again dump stuff ...more than I was comfortable with. We are basically at bare bones LIVING stuff. Weighed it and well- only 200 over the 14000 axel rating and still overall over 17000—- we don’t have even close to 1000 pounds to take out. Grand Design... this is a serious issue for a rig designed for full timing(extended stay). Anyone have advice or suggestions.
    Joe and Beth - Not in Kansas anymore…
    2018 Ford F350, 6.7L Diesel, DRW, CC, LB
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious what type of tires and what pressure they had prior to your journey. Luckily no one was hurt. You are closer to your weights now, so that's a plus. I guess you really need to evaluate what stuff you NEED to keep with you and go from there. Maybe in 6 months if you havent used something, get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you've added more than 3,500lbs of gear. That is a lot!!! We owned a 2019 Solitude 373FB-R which has the same GVWR and axle rating as your 390RK-R. We added 1,830lbs of gear and that included a washing machine, dryer and dishwasher. When we load our RV's, we try hard to minimize weight where we can. Every time we put something in the RV, we ask if we really need it and if there is a lighter alternative. Some examples - we use a Sleep Number bed which is very light. We use plastic storage containers rather than glass. We use Corel dinnerware and rather than a service of 16 like at home, we have a service of 4. Plastic drinking cups rather than glass. No extra sheets for bed. Limited wardrobe (no need for 30 shirts or 20 pairs of socks or 3 coats per person, etc). Avoid canned food. A lot of people really go overboard on tools. I left most of my tools in storage. I figure if I really need something I don't have while on the road, I'll buy it.

The bottom line is there are a lot ways to save weight and since most RV's only have 2,000-3,000lbs of payload capacity, we all need to pack light!

I'm really sorry to hear about your blowout. That is one of my worst nightmares - a blowout on a bad road in the rain at night, etc. The Westlake G rated tires actually have a very good reputation (unlike their E rated tires) so your blowout is actually pretty rare. What PSI do you run in your tires and do you check them before leaving on each drive?
    Last edited by bertschb; 05-17-2020 at 03:40 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for response

Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    It sounds like you've added more than 3,500lbs of gear. That is a lot!!! We owned a 2019 Solitude 373FB-R which has the same GVWR and axle rating as your 390RK-R. We added 1,830lbs of gear and that included a washing machine, dryer and dishwasher. When we load our RV's, we try hard to minimize weight where we can. Every time we put something in the RV, we ask if we really need it and if there is a lighter alternative. Some examples - we use a Sleep Number air mattress which is very light. We use plastic storage containers rather than glass. We use Corel dinnerware and rather than a service of 16 like at home, we have a service of 4. Plastic drinking cups rather than glass. No extra sheets for bed. Limited wardrobe (no need for 30 shirts or 20 pairs of socks or 3 coats per person, etc). Avoid canned food. A lot of people really go overboard on tools. I left most of my tools in storage. I figure if I really need something I don't have while on the road, I'll buy it.

The bottom line is there are a lot ways to save weight and since most RV's only have 2,000-3,000lbs of payload capacity, we all need to pack light!

I'm really sorry to hear about your blowout. That is one of my worst nightmares - a blowout on a bad road in the rain at night, etc. The Westlake G rated tires actually have a very good reputation (unlike their E rated tires) so your blowout is actually pretty rare. What PSI do you run in your tires and do you check them before leaving on each drive?
    Trust me we have done all that... we are down to bare bones for existing. Which is ridiculous when you have a higher end RV supposedly designed for the full timer. We have done two purges in the last 2 months... there is nothing else to purge. 😬
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also.. Yes we check the tires before every drive.. Have only had two other shorter ones. We keep them at the recommended 110 psi.
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joebethbark View Post
    Also.. Yes we check the tires before every drive.. Have only had two other shorter ones. We keep them at the recommended 110 psi.
    May I ask what brand tires?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just began our full time adventure in our 2020 GD Solitude 390 RK-R. GVWR 16800 (14576 UVW )After driving 2 hours had a blowout! Before first drive we weighed at CAT scale reading said 14620 on rig axel when weighed attached to truck. When weighed without being attached was over 18000 -yikes!!! Didn’t seem that full- had lots of space. So dumped a TON of stuff-sadly. Now we have the blowout so again dump stuff ...more than I was comfortable with. We are basically at bare bones LIVING stuff. Weighed it and well- only 200 over the 14000 axel rating and still overall over 17000—- we don’t have even close to 1000 pounds to take out. Grand Design... this is a serious issue for a rig designed for full timing(extended stay). Anyone have advice or suggestions.
    I have no suggestion on cargo, weight capacity and what to take with you (or not), but check, check and recheck tire pressures AND CONDITION on a regular basis. As you know, you are overloaded. I strongly recommend a TPMS (tire pressure monitor system). Start with your tires at the rated pressure (probably 110 PSI). Make sure your tires are at least load range G for the trailer. If you are replacing tires, consider using Sailun or Goodyear G rated tires. Both makes are well regarded. The stock Westlake (load range G) tires are good but I questions how much margin they have to handle over loaded conditions and you have no idea how they were treated in transport from the manufacture. The lighter Westlake (load range E - a different animal) have a bad history of blowouts. You really are overloaded, but you can consider changing to 17.5" load range H tires. This will require new wheels and tires and will be expensive. It will not change the frame, suspension or axles, but will give yo more margin on your tires.

Good luck

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 05-17-2020 at 03:44 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the blow out on the same wheel position? If so, there may be some contributing factors such as heat build up due to a bearing or brake issue, axle alignment, any of which may be causing excessive heat on the specific wheel. Use a temp gun at each stop to see if they are within the same range as each other.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    isn't the 14620 on the rig axle almost 600 pounds over the axle limits? With 21% on the truck and a GVWR of 16800 you should carry about 3530 on the truck. What "we" are missing is the dry weight of the unit per the CAT scale. Nothing in the tanks, full propane, battery and hot water tank full (plumbing pressurized) and weigh the rig.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big problem is , per the Gd specs , that rv only has around 2200 lbs CCC. Pretty low for a 41’ rig.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast