User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have a 2022 390RK. I have my tires at max PSI 125. We have the coopers.
    Dan and Kathy
    2022 Solitude 390RK
    2022 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD Duramax
    USMC Semper Fi

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    You realize this won't change the "legal" trailer GVWR on the sticker, don't you?

Rob
    Rob,

I am well aware this does nothing for the sticker on the side of the of the trailer. I am also well aware that when 390RKs ship from the factory with 8k axles they get a sticker that says 18,000 GVWR on the same frame. That does mean there are potential legal liabilities with putting 8k axles under it and towing more than 16,800, but the trailer is safe to operate and tow at the increased weight with the higher capacity axles. Heck I may even take it up with GD to try and get a new sticker with the additional weight capacity.

In 2022, Grand Design put "Lippert Rhino" frames under these trailers so be aware for anyone looking to swap out their pin boxes! I figured this out because I tried to put a Reese Goosebox on it and only four of the bolt holes would line up. It does not have the 1621 pin box frames of the previous years.

I seriously doubt this trailer weighed the "14,414 UVW" that is annotated on my sticker when it was empty. When we traveled we were very minimal in our packing and still barely made it under the trailer's GVWR.

Scott
    My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR and grid heater delete, GDP airhorn and heater, ARP head studs, 5" TBE, billet VB, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs. My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,500 rolling.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott,
    Do you have disc brakes? We ordered ours with 7k w disk brakes. Like you, if we had known, we would have ordered the 8k w/ disks.
    Do you already know the axle p/n yet? Does it come with springs and disk brakes?
    I've been looking around and can't find a kit.
    Thanks
    Dan
    Dan and Kathy
    2022 Solitude 390RK
    2022 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD Duramax
    USMC Semper Fi

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    Hi. We have a 2016 Solitude 379FL. We have had three blowouts with our last two 5th wheels, one of those in the Solitude with Westlake tires. Depending on who you ask, you will hear that you should always start out with the pressure set to the maximum recommended or to start out with slightly less pressure than maximum. Let me say from experience it doesn't matter. The blowout in the Solitude started out at exactly the max cold 80 PSI and 90 minutes later we were on the side of the road with shrapnel falling off our rig! I checked he remaining tires ad found them near 100 PSI. I let air out of them before continuing. On our previous RV we had load range "C" tires which I changed to "E" after two blowouts starting at lower than max pressure.

The moral of my story is this: I asked my tire dealer about my problem and was told that Carlisle had 16 in, load range "G" trailer 14-ply trailer-only tires rated at 4400 Lbs at 110 PSI (the maximum PSI for my rims as well). They cost less than the tires on my Taurus. I then bought an EZ-Tire Monitor kit for all four trailer tires and the six on my truck. I ended up getting the "repeater" unit also because the Solitude is so long it kept dropping the signal, but has never dropped it since. What I found out on the very first trip was that the trailer tires GAINED 20 TO 30 LBS WHILE DRIVING!!! At the recommendation of my tire guy I started that trip at 95 PSI. An hour of freeway later I had to stop and let air out of all four tires as they were already at the 110 PSI maximum! We left Friday, May 23 (yesterday) for a 2.5 hour trip on all 2-lane roads to a campground. At departure, all four tires were at 87-88 PSI. 45 minutes later at 60 Mph the alarm went off that two of those same tires were already at 110 Psi! We had to stop to let air out again. This is becoming normal thing. The tires on the sun-side run about 5 PSI higher than the shade-side.

So, what I can attest to is that now that I know that the tires were gaining air pressure while driving I can mitigate the problem by starting at a lower pressure and then the EZ-Tire monitor will keep me from blowing any more tires. Conversely, when coming back from Florida this Easter we started the trip at 86 PSI and 85 degrees outside. When we finally stopped for the night in northern Kentucky, it was 35 degrees outside (we were wearing shorts!). The tires dropped into the 70's by morning and I had to add air to silence the alarms on the EX-Tire monitor.

I will never again pull my RV a single mile without a working tire monitor kit. There are a few different brands of tire monitors out there, but get one! All of them are much cheaper than the $500 deductible on the $1750 insurance claim due to the blowout!
    WRONG WRONG WRONG. Tire pressures are set COLD!!!! Never let air out as it heats up. You are running UNDER INFLATED!!

2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canald View Post
    Second Chance, You are exactly correct. Doesn't matter if we try to make the trailer or truck safer. The only thing that counts is the stupid sticker. GD manufacturer and dealer have "hamstrung" its customers by allowing the UVW to increase because of the upgrades. For me and my families safety, I will ensure the 5th wheel and truck are brought up to weight standards. The label be damned.
    Unless GD wants to help us out.
    So for, I have at least 5 owners that have the same problem with their 390RK.

Signed not help with GD right now.
    Dan
    Do you care about the sticker. or what is real? GD raises the GVWR when they install 8K axles at the factory. That gets a sticker stating so. You cannot get the sticker, but you CAN raise the physical GVWR, by installing 8K axles and matching tires.
    That is what I would do.

On a side note: 8K axles will also get you stronger brakes, even more so if you go with discs (which I highly recommend)
    Last edited by huntindog; 05-30-2022 at 08:57 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canald View Post
    Scott,
    Do you have disc brakes? We ordered ours with 7k w disk brakes. Like you, if we had known, we would have ordered the 8k w/ disks.
    Do you already know the axle p/n yet? Does it come with springs and disk brakes?
    I've been looking around and can't find a kit.
    Thanks
    Dan
    Dan,
    I found a company that will sell the whole kit and caboodle (brakes, axles, springs, etc) and that will probably be the direction we go.

I called Morryde about doing the 8k IS upgrade, but it is about $3,000 more and you have to drive to Indiana to get the best install. The advantage is that it is set to your tow rig and is a much better setup than the old straight axle. We will likely be upgrading our tow rig to a DRW setup so unless I have that truck, I wouldn’t do IS (budget pending of course).

https://performancetrailerbraking.com/disc-brakes

That is the place I found and most customers are pretty happy with them. I will do all of the work myself (if this is the route we go). Like any upgrade, if you look hard enough you will find someone that says it sucks.

As far as brakes, I run a stout setup on the truck. I have EBC orange stuff pads, Stoptech slotted rotors front and rear, and Lucas DOT 4 brake fluid. The trailer brakes are drum and setup aggressive with heavy electric and 6.5 gain. The trailer brakes are a little grabby, but it feels confident.

Good luck with it. Next month we are driving from San Diego, CA to Denver, to Colorado Springs, to Wyoming, to the Black Hills, to Denver and back to San Diego. I will make a better report after that with the current combination.

To get some headway in our limits, the truck just got 4.10 gears installed and I am putting Raceline wheels rated for 4,000lbs and Michelin LTX 295/70r18 that are rated to 4080lbs. The AAM 11.5 axle housing is rated to 10,000lbs so I am not so worried if I wind up a few hundred pounds heavier from our last trip.
    My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR and grid heater delete, GDP airhorn and heater, ARP head studs, 5" TBE, billet VB, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs. My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,500 rolling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've WAY overloaded our Solitude. But it has upgraded axles. Tires have been no problem, but we got expensive ones. Never any problems whatsoever.
    2017 Solitude, F-350 towing, Anderson Hitch
    Can you hand me the wrench? Thanks. 🤪

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schoolbus View Post
    Dan,
    I found a company that will sell the whole kit and caboodle (brakes, axles, springs, etc) and that will probably be the direction we go.

I called Morryde about doing the 8k IS upgrade, but it is about $3,000 more and you have to drive to Indiana to get the best install. The advantage is that it is set to your tow rig and is a much better setup than the old straight axle. We will likely be upgrading our tow rig to a DRW setup so unless I have that truck, I wouldn’t do IS (budget pending of course).

https://performancetrailerbraking.com/disc-brakes

That is the place I found and most customers are pretty happy with them. I will do all of the work myself (if this is the route we go). Like any upgrade, if you look hard enough you will find someone that says it sucks.

As far as brakes, I run a stout setup on the truck. I have EBC orange stuff pads, Stoptech slotted rotors front and rear, and Lucas DOT 4 brake fluid. The trailer brakes are drum and setup aggressive with heavy electric and 6.5 gain. The trailer brakes are a little grabby, but it feels confident.

Good luck with it. Next month we are driving from San Diego, CA to Denver, to Colorado Springs, to Wyoming, to the Black Hills, to Denver and back to San Diego. I will make a better report after that with the current combination.

To get some headway in our limits, the truck just got 4.10 gears installed and I am putting Raceline wheels rated for 4,000lbs and Michelin LTX 295/70r18 that are rated to 4080lbs. The AAM 11.5 axle housing is rated to 10,000lbs so I am not so worried if I wind up a few hundred pounds heavier from our last trip.
    PTB are great to work with. I strongly recommend if you do the 8K axles, also do the disc brakes and the 17.5" wheels/H rated Cooper tires. PTB will send you everything you need except the wheels and tires. You can buy those already mounted from e-trailer and sell your old ones to recoup some money. You can also sell your old axles too. I had PTB come to me for the install. Took them about 6 hrs total and was well worth it to have them do the work. If you take your rig to a GD rally that they are at, they will do the conversion at the rally with a discount. That has to be scheduled pretty far in advance. If you do the 8K axles without the disc brakes and H rated tires, you will regret it!
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456