User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Urban Towing

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    I agree, I think you are going to stress the trailer suspension making a sharp turn. I wouild have a spotter observe the trailer when making this turn. Can you perhaps back into the cul-de-sac?
    I think the Semi driver backing out tells you all you need to know about whether you can turn around or not.

Most likely, you are going to have to either back it in or back it out. Don't take your TT down that road unless you are comfortable with backing that TT down that road.

By-the-way, being able to back your TT up is the best thing you can do to give yourself confidence in towing. Basically, if you can get it in somewhere, you should be able to back it out. Once you are confident in backing, you will be confident in towing.

Personally, I have backed out of some very interesting places !!!

Go out to a big parking lot and practice backing up in a straight line, be sure to use your mirrors (personally, I never turn around to look out the back window, I simply sit looking forward while constantly checking my mirrors on BOTH sides).

I would also suggest you have your spouse learn to back up the TT as well (who knows, maybe she has a talent for backing).

I would suggest: instead of taking the TT to the house for loading, you take your supplies to the storage lot and load the camper there. We have often taken everything to to the stored camper to load up for our trip, this gives us extra days to load and makes the process much easier.

Check out a recent YouTube video from "Keep Your Daydream" where they give tips on backing up a travel trailer.

Good Luck and Happy Adventures !!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you're new to towing, I would also suggest looking for RV driver training courses. We had never towed anything before we got our 43' 380TH, and lessons were a must! (Our guy was a semi-retired Commercial Drivers' License instructor.) One weekend of training and we were in much better shape for a successful RV lifestyle.
    Ussuri Bruin (and his owners)
    2014 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 DRW
    24K Pull-Rite SuperGlide Hitch
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have a spotter and good 2 way radios. Those light stanchions have a way of being where you don't expect them. Don't ask me how I know this!
    Jerry and Jack (Standard Schnauzer)

Currently in Benson, AZ

2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp75_CO View Post
    Since you're new to towing, I would also suggest looking for RV driver training courses. We had never towed anything before we got our 43' 380TH, and lessons were a must! (Our guy was a semi-retired Commercial Drivers' License instructor.) One weekend of training and we were in much better shape for a successful RV lifestyle.
    I'll just toss it in here, we had never owned/towed any sort of trailer prior to buying our Reflection. We signed up for the RV driving course. Our instructor was a truck driver (can't recall if he was retired or still driving, but I digress). During the portion of the time I was behind the wheel, he directed me to turn down a street (that he recalled as being a short street connecting to the bigger street about 1/2 block down). But, apparently, he hadn't been in the area for a while and that short street was now actually a cul-de-sac. Yay, guess who got to make a major u-turn. Happily, there were only 2 cars parked on the cul-de-sac and it was fairly wide. I made it in one go.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live on a culdesac. Most culdesacs can handle your trailer with a wide swing. If you're truck will fit into your garage, pull into the garage, easy peasy to back it out. Used to back my trailer into my drive for packing. Way easier to pull my truck into the garage leaving enough space to drop the trailer, then pull the truck into the garage.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pencka View Post
    Good Day!!

Being new to the RV world - I am totally inexperienced. We currently live in on a cul-de-sac, but will be moving in a few months due to my retirement.

I'm wondering if its possible to turn a Ram 3500 and a connected 30' TT around within an "average" size cul de sac? I can't recall seeing anyone do this, so not sure. A couple days ago, a new neighbor moved in, and his furniture was delivered by a semi - he backed out the way he came in. I know I'm not driving a semi - but this is concerning to me as I will need practice backing this set up and would prefer to not learn in my neighborhood - if you get my drift?

Ideally, I'd like ot park my rig in the street, in front of our house and set it up. I'd be a little nervous if I learned I couldn't turn around in the cul de sac, and had to back out all the way down the street. Just don't have that confidence yet.

Thanks!
    Steve
    I think you can do it. I had a Ram 3500 and a 34' Open Range tt. Although I never had to turn around with them in a cul-de-sac, I think it would make it. Definitely with a 30'er.
    2018 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Laramie Longhorn
    GVWR 12,300
    Open Range 2910RL TT (soon to trade in)
    In search of Grand Design Fifth Wheel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a cul de sac and have a similar sized trailer as you pulled behind a Ram 3500 megacab, so its long. I have a Propride hitch so my pivot point is about 12" behind a standard weight distribution hitch. It allows me to turn very sharp and not hit my bumper. It can be done as I do this 10 times a season at least.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pencka View Post
    Ideally, I'd like ot park my rig in the street, in front of our house and set it up. I'd be a little nervous if I learned I couldn't turn around in the cul de sac, and had to back out all the way down the street....

Hi. My brother lives near the end of a cul de sac. He has a 42 foot 5th wheel. There is not enough room to make the turn even without cars parked there. His house is on the right side of the street. Normally, he pulls into the cul de sac with the door on the same side as his house for loading, then he backs out of the cul de sac. When he has to winterize or un-winterize he backs into the cul de sac then pulls out head first. Just know you are not alone!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I am not normal I tend to think of something else for you to consider. 3 point turn. Yeehaw I have gotten myself into a lot of trouble with these, and gotten myself out of trouble also. It's one of those things you might want to try in a big area first.

But depending on the way the driveways are set up and where the neighbors cars are it may work better for you than a big circle. Just mind that tail swing....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Because I am not normal I tend to think of something else for you to consider. 3 point turn. Yeehaw I have gotten myself into a lot of trouble with these, and gotten myself out of trouble also. It's one of those things you might want to try in a big area first.

But depending on the way the driveways are set up and where the neighbors cars are it may work better for you than a big circle. Just mind that tail swing....
    In my opinion, backing out of the cul-de-sac would be easier and safer than trying to do a three-point turn.

Obviously, both skills are important tools to have, but, backing is my first choice in most situations.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast