Thread: Urban Towing

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urban Towing

Good Day!!

Being new to the RV world - I am totally inexperienced. We currently live in on a cul-de-sac, but will be moving in a few months due to my retirement.

I'm wondering if its possible to turn a Ram 3500 and a connected 30' TT around within an "average" size cul de sac? I can't recall seeing anyone do this, so not sure. A couple days ago, a new neighbor moved in, and his furniture was delivered by a semi - he backed out the way he came in. I know I'm not driving a semi - but this is concerning to me as I will need practice backing this set up and would prefer to not learn in my neighborhood - if you get my drift?

Ideally, I'd like ot park my rig in the street, in front of our house and set it up. I'd be a little nervous if I learned I couldn't turn around in the cul de sac, and had to back out all the way down the street. Just don't have that confidence yet.

Thanks!
    Steve

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you should measure your area you have available for turning and replicate that area in a big open parking lot and practice. It should be able to be done depending how your neighbors are parked. It might take a multi point turn, but I think its doable. The only thing to watch for is your trailer contacting your truck bumper on a 90 degree turn if its necessary to turn that much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What he said. I知 sure it can be done. Get some cones or cut some tennis balls in half for markers and mimic the circle. Lots of empty mall parking lots around. While your at it try backing it up a few hundred feet. Not necessarily because you値l have to do this on your street, but because you値l never know when you will need to do it! Practice practice.

Eventually you値l be able to put that thing in a mailbox.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To start with try making the circle with just the truck. Does it make it fairly easy or not at all, or with the steering wheel turned all the way to make it. If it makes it somewhat easy then you will have to think about how tight it looks like it might be with the trailer behind you, will it be so tight the trailer might jackknife trying to make the turn. Would the trailer have to be 9o degrees to the truck to make the turn.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need 50 feet to safely turn my F-350 towing my Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel.

Take you rig out to a big open parking lot, mark it with some cones and see how much room you need.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most cul-de sacs are sized to fit the largest fire apparatus. I can turn my F-250 and 303 with plenty of room to spare. Just be aware of the tail swing on mail boxes and parked vehicles.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll touch on a little bit different thought. With the issues pertaining to spring hangers, I would be checking them closely after each trip into the cul-de-sac.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought to myself, this is an easy answer. "don't". As in "don't tow in urban areas" if you can avoid it at all. It sucks, I've done it (around DC) and it's not fun at all, the roads are destroyed as you get in closer to the cities (at least in the NE), bridges, tolls, traffic. I only do it when I can't find a reasonable way to get around it, and reasonable for me is "+100 miles to avoid it" or so.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pencka View Post
    Good Day!!

Being new to the RV world - I am totally inexperienced. We currently live in on a cul-de-sac, but will be moving in a few months due to my retirement.

I'm wondering if its possible to turn a Ram 3500 and a connected 30' TT around within an "average" size cul de sac? I can't recall seeing anyone do this, so not sure. A couple days ago, a new neighbor moved in, and his furniture was delivered by a semi - he backed out the way he came in. I know I'm not driving a semi - but this is concerning to me as I will need practice backing this set up and would prefer to not learn in my neighborhood - if you get my drift?

Ideally, I'd like ot park my rig in the street, in front of our house and set it up. I'd be a little nervous if I learned I couldn't turn around in the cul de sac, and had to back out all the way down the street. Just don't have that confidence yet.

Thanks!
    Steve
    Best thing to do is practice in an empty parking lot. Great if you can replicate your cup de sac with cones. One thing to note most of these replies talk about a 90 degree turn angle. From your post you have a travel trailer and will not be able to approach a 90 degree more like 30-40 degrees angle trailer to truck. Repliers have fifth wheels which ideally can reach a 90 degree angle.
    Practice as above and you will 1) get progressively better and 2) learn what you can do in a relatively safe environment. Have fun with the new Rig.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    I'll touch on a little bit different thought. With the issues pertaining to spring hangers, I would be checking them closely after each trip into the cul-de-sac.
    I agree, I think you are going to stress the trailer suspension making a sharp turn. I wouild have a spotter observe the trailer when making this turn. Can you perhaps back into the cul-de-sac?
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast