User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black HVAC Cover = Added Inefficiency??

In Arizona, and elsewhere, the sun can beat down relentlessly and I have been wondering how much inefficiency is added by having a black cover vs a white cover.

As we have learned in school, black absorbs heat and those RV air conditioners, as inefficient as they are, are wanting to get rid of heat up there on that hot roof. Seems that a black cover may add to the problem and lessen the life of these things and just keep the inside not quite as a cool.

Does anybody have any thoughts or good knowledge about black vs white covers?

Thanks!

John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200517_174859.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	26563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190920_180217.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	26564
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not so sure the answer is black or white here. When it’s on the unit is moving enough air that the color of the cover doesn’t matter. For home units the general thoughts are that you want AREA around the unit to be shaded so it’s cooler there for all the air that it’s sucking in as it’s dumping the hot air. That’s why it’s recommended that a unit be installed on the north end of the house. I think in the RVs case the white roof is more important. It creates the cooler environment for the surrounding air.

One of these sources basically say direct shade over the unit is less than a 3% gain, the other source says a shaded area can create up to a 10% gain.

https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/...save-you-money

https://www.cooperclimatecontrol.com...oner-worth-it/

So you have a direct shade on your unit but it’s probably not optimal like you are thinking. Based on what I read though it seems it may only make a <3% difference. Are you thinking of painting it?

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I painted the top of mine white on a previous RV. I was going to paint mine on current rig but found that paint didn't adhere well. So, for now, they are still black. If I replace them I would get white. Any amount of heat reduction on the cover has to help, whether 3% or whatever; I think black is a choice so it matches the look of the rig.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flip94ta : Are you thinking of painting it?

I was but I knew that plastic usually doesn't take spray paint well and the post below confirmed that. I thought about trying to sell the covers I have and purchase white in color replacements. Not sure yet. Not that fond of the black A/C units in any event. So... not sure what I'll do. If it was proven closer to a 10% increase in efficiency, I would change them out in a heartbeat.

Thanks!

John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think you’ll get a 10% improvement, that’s the AREA effect, something we can’t replicate in our RVs other than parking in shady areas. I’m not really worried about painting mine, I camp mostly in northern climates, and I think the unit is sized nicely for the area it has to cool. I would think you might have to scuff up the paint in order for it to adhere?

That’s a very clean roof, you remind me that I need to give mine it’s first bath.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings