User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    "Home" is Dacula, GA. Currently working in Waynesboro, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfiltered Waterlines! Tell me it isn't so.

Due to my job I live in my 369RL during the week. It's permanently parked in a RV Park that has become my home away from home. I've had the Solitude for a little over 4 months after owning another for a couple of years. Last Friday I lost water pressure for my cold water lines. I didn't lose pressure for hot water so this one stumped me. Not really knowing where to start I contacted a RV service company here on the site to see if they could figure this one out. He came out and briefly did some checking around and said he'd probably reach out to Grand Design to see if there were some check valves on line that he couldn't find. While we were talking on the phone he mentioned he started to check the lines today but someone had come out to the park to work on the well. That got me thinking and I decided to do a little research on my own. First step was to open up the panel in the basement to see if I could figure out the waterlines. Have any of you done this? Wow, looks like a pile of spaghetti. Lines going everywhere. After looking at the system I started wondering if I was seeing something I didn't like. The main line coming into the RV splits in several directions with one of the lines working it's way to the canister filter which I assumed was online for the whole system. I opened up the canister and sure enough problem solved! The filter was totally clogged with sediment. I replaced the filter and low and behold I have cold water again. I'm a little embarrassed to be admitting that I overlooked this from the get go but there's a reason for me not checking it and it's now my overall concern. The reason I didn't check the filter was because I assumed (yes, I know what that means) the filter system was online for the whole water system NOT just a portion of it. Based on that assumption if the filter was clogged then I wouldn't have any water pressure, hot or cold. Apparently this isn't the case. So what this tells me is that the cold water to my kitchen sink (?) is filtered but possibly nothing else? Why? If you look at the box for a new filter it states the following: reduces the following contaminants - chlorine, RUST, SEDIMENT, TASTE and ODOR, Cryptosporidium, Giardia Cysts, Volatile Organic Chemicals, Cysts. So the other lines don't need to be protected from this? Based on what happened this weekend I'm now going to assume my water heater is probably full of sediment and will now need to be flushed. I'll also be purchasing an online filter for the main waterline to the RV, which is an expense I didn't expect since there's one built in. This also explains why I occasionally get an odor in the RV when I turn the hot water one. I'll also have to be careful when I fill the water tank as it will most likely be unfiltered.

Overall I've been pleased with the Solitude. Most of the issues I've had were minor and I've been able to either fix them myself or the Dealer has been able to fix them. This one is really disappointing and I felt I needed to share this.
    Don and Jean - Dacula, GA
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2015 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW Long Bed
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager - Let the Good Times Roll!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use a Camco in line filter, and a whole house filter in line to my portable water softener. So far no problems
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used an online filter on my previous RV as well and was very pleased with how they worked. Point is this one was sold as having a built in filter. No need to add anything online. Tonight I found out this isn't the case. Or at least for most of the lines. To me the main line should have been routed to the filter then any splits should have taken place after it's run through the filter. This way everything is filtered. I may end up doing this myself to avoid having to buy two filters.
    2015 Solitude 369RL

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up. That is something I will be checking A.S.A.P. I do have a question though. Is there any logical reason for the water to be routed the way it is in your unit, Don and Jean ?

Gord and Janet Fuchs
    Presently in Palmetto State Park, LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logical? I'm not sure about that one. I took some pictures with my phone last night but it's such a confined space I couldn't get all of it in one picture. Tonight I'll pull the panel back off and use a camera. I'll be able to get all of it with better clarity.
    2015 Solitude 369RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I would think that GD would jump in here,,,,,,,,,,

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    So I would think that GD would jump in here,,,,,,,,,,
    GD monitors the tech issues page.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don and Jean View Post
    Due to my job I live in my 369RL during the week. It's permanently parked in a RV Park that has become my home away from home. I've had the Solitude for a little over 4 months after owning another for a couple of years. Last Friday I lost water pressure for my cold water lines. I didn't lose pressure for hot water so this one stumped me. Not really knowing where to start I contacted a RV service company here on the site to see if they could figure this one out. He came out and briefly did some checking around and said he'd probably reach out to Grand Design to see if there were some check valves on line that he couldn't find. While we were talking on the phone he mentioned he started to check the lines today but someone had come out to the park to work on the well. That got me thinking and I decided to do a little research on my own. First step was to open up the panel in the basement to see if I could figure out the waterlines. Have any of you done this? Wow, looks like a pile of spaghetti. Lines going everywhere. After looking at the system I started wondering if I was seeing something I didn't like. The main line coming into the RV splits in several directions with one of the lines working it's way to the canister filter which I assumed was online for the whole system. I opened up the canister and sure enough problem solved! The filter was totally clogged with sediment. I replaced the filter and low and behold I have cold water again. I'm a little embarrassed to be admitting that I overlooked this from the get go but there's a reason for me not checking it and it's now my overall concern. The reason I didn't check the filter was because I assumed (yes, I know what that means) the filter system was online for the whole water system NOT just a portion of it. Based on that assumption if the filter was clogged then I wouldn't have any water pressure, hot or cold. Apparently this isn't the case. So what this tells me is that the cold water to my kitchen sink (?) is filtered but possibly nothing else? Why? If you look at the box for a new filter it states the following: reduces the following contaminants - chlorine, RUST, SEDIMENT, TASTE and ODOR, Cryptosporidium, Giardia Cysts, Volatile Organic Chemicals, Cysts. So the other lines don't need to be protected from this? Based on what happened this weekend I'm now going to assume my water heater is probably full of sediment and will now need to be flushed. I'll also be purchasing an online filter for the main waterline to the RV, which is an expense I didn't expect since there's one built in. This also explains why I occasionally get an odor in the RV when I turn the hot water one. I'll also have to be careful when I fill the water tank as it will most likely be unfiltered.

Overall I've been pleased with the Solitude. Most of the issues I've had were minor and I've been able to either fix them myself or the Dealer has been able to fix them. This one is really disappointing and I felt I needed to share this.
    Hi @Don and Jean,

Please reply back (or send me a private message) with the last 8-digits of your RV VIN to help us research this for you. Thanks in advance...

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don and Jean View Post
    "First step was to open up the panel in the basement to see if I could figure out the waterlines. Have any of you done this? Wow, looks like a pile of spaghetti. Lines going everywhere."
    I've been in there and yes I agree with you, it is a rat nest of a mess.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2299.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	1262
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2274.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	1263
    But I need to go back in there and see if it is the main water line going into the filter and then from the filter to the rest of the camper. If not, like you, I will have to see about getting this corrected or run a second filter (Camco) coming in from the main line.
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to Mark Houser and Ryan Prough with Grand Design today. While Mark seemed concerned I can't say the same for Ryan. Ryan confirmed that the only thing that is filtered is the cold water. The question asked to me was why do you need to filter hot water? That answer is quite simple. Filters do more than just filter out bacteria just read the box the next time you buy one. So the hot water system is not filtered for anything NOR is the water holding tank. Imagine the impurities sitting in it if you use it. According to Ryan this is how they come from the manufacturer. And that's the way it is. If you want to change it you're on your own. I pointed out their brochure advertises their product as having a whole house filtration system. What I got was BS about everything is subject change. So with that CYA they don't have to do anything about it. So what if that's what they're telling their sales reps to tell us. Guess the brochure is just a guideline even for "standard" features. Guess I'll be buying online filters to filter the rest of the RV until I fix their poor design.

Needless to say I am not a happy camper.
    2015 Solitude 369RL

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast