User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you run your refrigerator while towing?

This is sort of an appliance question. Do you leave the propane on while towing to keep the refrigerator going? Is it really that dangerous? I'm a newbie and the manual for my Imagine 2500 RL says to shut off the propane before towing. I plan to do a trip in August that will take 2 days to get to me destination and thought I might leave the propane on while towing. I dont expect to be going through any tunnels.
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Just turn the fridge off when going to refuel. Gas vapors and open flames don't add up too well.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run mine, fire it up the night before we leave and run it for the 2 hour trek to set up. Once we get there plug it in and switch over source. It is only a fairly short drive for us. Never had an issue doing so
    2010 Passport Express - Sold
    2020 Imagine 2600RB
    2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post
    This is sort of an appliance question. Do you leave the propane on while towing to keep the refrigerator going? Is it really that dangerous? I'm a newbie and the manual for my Imagine 2500 RL says to shut off the propane before towing. I plan to do a trip in August that will take 2 days to get to me destination and thought I might leave the propane on while towing. I dont expect to be going through any tunnels.
    Lots of threads on this very subject. Well worth reading.

We do run the fridge on propane when traveling. Some people do, others don't. Yes, there is a risk to doing so.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, we do too. The risk is low, in my opinion. The biggest risk is when fueling the TV and the refrigerator is running that the flame in the refrigerator might ignite gas vapors from someone gassing up their vehicle next to you.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always get mine cooled down a couple days before and if only a short run, say <4 hrs, it will stay cold until reconnected to shore power. Farther than that then I keep it on the gas. Never really thought about the refueling part, but I rarely am in the gas lanes, as I use the truck diesel lanes.
    Last edited by Bigmo1; 05-24-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo1 View Post
    I always get mine cooled down a couple days before and if only a short run, say <4 hrs, it will stay cold until reconnected to shore power. Farther than that then I keep it on the gas. Never really thought about the refueling part, but I rarely am in the gas lanes, as I use the truck diesel lanes.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This topic always comes up and has all sorts of answers. If you have a diesel truck and go through the truck lanes that dont have gas pumps, there is probably not much to worry about. The flash point of diesel is 126F, I highly doubt diesel fuel is that warm with the tanks being stored in the ground. Gas pumps are a different story since the flash point of gas is -45F.

Not saying what the right answer is, just use as much info as you can to determine your risk (fire or food safety).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who don't do it is there another option to keep food cold for long trips? Can you add something to make the fridge run on battery?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kangarooelaine View Post
    For those who don't do it is there another option to keep food cold for long trips? Can you add something to make the fridge run on battery?
    Yes, an inverter, and get lithium batteries. My husband just added an inverter, and wiring for the refrigerator to our rig and we have 2 lithium batteries (and solar).

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast