User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back Up Camera Wiring Burned - Imagine 2400BH

Hi all, first time post here for me! I just picked up my new 2021 Imagine 2400BH and installed the Furrion back up camera which was super simple with the plug and play power connector. On checking i had power to the camera after install I noticed smoke coming from the mount. I powered down the vehicle and removed the camera noting that the additional factory terminated wiring underneath had burned pretty good. Looks like they maybe had the live and neutral wires terminated together! Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Connordunn View Post
    Hi all, first time post here for me! I just picked up my new 2021 Imagine 2400BH and installed the Furrion back up camera which was super simple with the plug and play power connector. On checking i had power to the camera after install I noticed smoke coming from the mount. I powered down the vehicle and removed the camera noting that the additional factory terminated wiring underneath had burned pretty good. Looks like they maybe had the live and neutral wires terminated together! Has anyone else had a similar experience?
    Welcome to the forum!

Nope, haven't seen that problem reported by anyone here. The wiring of that camera mount seems to be one of the more-haphazard things of too-many haphazard things done by the piecework hands who build these things, but smoking wires is a new one.

I normally counsel NOT going to the dealer since dealer service often means weeks or months without your trailer and work that is often shoddy. However this is something I'd want the dealer to look into. I would first be calling Grand Design, talking about safety concerns and ensuring that they press the dealer to take down cabinets and luan/wallboard and properly check everything back there. Could be a safety issue that wouldn't flare up (maybe literally) for a while.

While the dealer is doing that and the necessary re-wiring ask that they be sure to wire such that the camera gets its power from the running lights circuit. It's what most owners want - to see something from the camera turn on the truck's lights, easy-peasy. As I said the GD factory has been really haphazard about it and owners have found their camera would be powered on all the time, or not powered at all, or in a few cases powered only when the bathroom or kitchen fan is on!

Sorry that your introduction to life with a GD trailer has started like this. Best of luck with the warranty service.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the wiring was burned all the way to the end, the short was likely in the camera or its wiring.

A fuse somewhere should have been sized to protect that wiring, either in your tow vehicle if the light circuit powers the camera or in the camper fuse panel if powered internally.

Don’t use the term neutral when talking to the dealer or GD, because they will panic and think you hooked to the AC side and possibly blame you. No neutral in the DC wiring.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 05-19-2020 at 08:10 AM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just purchased a 2021 Imagine 17mke, we tried to install a camera using the "plug and play" wire but it also burned up. Did you ever find out why yours burned? We noticed ours was bundled in with other wires with only a pig tail hanging out so we are wondering if it really wasn't prewired for a plug and play. I don't know how to find out or where to take it to have it checked out. We are newbies at this.
    Just wondering if you ever solved your situation or if anyone out there can help us.
    Thanks,
    Ken and Janie (Haneyjack)