Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Large Window Removal

I am curious if anyone out there has any experience or advice on how to remove the large window in the slide out by the kitchen table. I have purchased a new couch to replace the piece of j..k that came from the factory, and I am not sure that it will fit through the door. Therefore, I may need to hoist the new couch through the window.

Thank you, in advance.

Gordon Fuchs
    Presently home
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bringing it back to the top of the heap, hoping for some insight.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    Bringing it back to the top of the heap, hoping for some insight.
    I'd try the other forum. I'll be interested in what you learn. I can imagine going to a residential refer one day.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you bought RV furniture it likely breaks down enough to get in the door. Unfortunately I can't help with window removal
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What other forum ?
    I did Utube it and found that it looks fairly easy, although cumbersome. Not a one man job.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    I'd try the other forum. I'll be interested in what you learn. I can imagine going to a residential refer one day.

-Steve
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post

-Steve
    If you want the residential fridge it will go in the door if you remove the doors, same thing with the Norcold coming out the door. I just had this done and they did not have to
    remove the dinette window.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's easy as can be. I've assuming you have framed windows given the year of camper. First, you'll want to put a few pieces of quality masking tape along the outside frame to tape the window to the fiberglass exterior of the slide box. You don't want the window to accidentally fall out in mid-removal. Go inside and remove all of those screws you see on the inside frame. Be prepared, you will lose some of the screw heads due to factory over-torque. No big deal to replace. Once they are all removed, pull off the inside window frame. Now you need a helper for extra hands and a flexible putty knife. With your helper leaning on the exterior side of the window to keep it against the opening, remove the tape you put in place and run your putty knife all the way around the window to cut the seal between the frame and the fiberglass exterior. You will either encounter a gasketing foam or butyl tape sealant. Once you've separated this, head inside and work with your helper to push the window out of the opening and relocate somewhere safe. To reinstall, you'll need some good butyl tape sealant - this is the best I ever worked with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Clean off the old gasket or butyl from the outside frame and install the fresh butyl. Set the window back into the opening, pressing evenly, and have the helper hold it while you go inside and reinstall the interior frame. Snug the screws all the way around the frame, and then go around taking the a step tighter, then another step tighter so that your compress the butyl uniformly. In a day or two, do this a final time. Your choice if you wish to run a bead of caulk around the top of the frame and partially down the sides on the exterior side for added protection.

FWIW - dealers and the factory pull out the slide box to bring in oversized furniture or appliances. Either will work, but be real sure the window will work for your particular piece, especially negotiating around anything inboard once you push it through, before you commit!

I too am looking for a better sofa solution, but continue to be challenged because I only have 38.5" of depth so that the slides are free of obstruction. Not an easy depth to get, especially when you want a LONG sofa (I want to lay comfortably and I am 6'-5"). Right now seems my best option is a custom sofa, and I can have that made in two pieces to come through the door, but that $1800 price tag HURTS!
    Last edited by geotex1; 05-28-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania