User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    Oh, is there a recall or TSB on the brakes or something?
    No recall or TSB, but GD and LCI has paid dealers to do the replacement or send you the parts to do yourself.

My intention wasnt to turn this into a greased brake topic, I think you should start by checking the adjustment on your brakes, but being a 2017, if it has never been inspected for greased brakes, there is a good possibility that you have greased brakes. If you recently got the trailer, its obviously used, did the prior owner or dealer you purchased from provide any insight if bearing inspections have been performed? There is no way to do a bearing inspection without seeing the brakes, so maybe the problem was previously addressed. If no bearing inspection was ever done, its time to do that as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adjusted... hm. When I bought it last August, the dealer supposedly 'checked' the brakes. Not sure what that means though. I can call and ask them what they usually do with their used trailer inspection. Since it's a safety issue, they may want to check it again. Thanks!
    The dealer is going to tell you whatever they think will make you happy. Even if they inspected them doesn't mean they're adjusted properly.

First don't freak out on the grease issue just yet. You posted you know how to adjust car brakes. If you know how to adjust drum brakes your trailer brakes are no different. Although it can be adjusted with a screw driver a proper drum brake adjusting tool (local auto parts store for a few dollars) is easier.

Always start at the simplest item first (brake adjustment). If that doesn't work move on from there.

Until I can't physically craw under the trailer there is not a dealer in this world I would let adjust my brakes. It's my life it'll be my adjustment.
    Last edited by ckreef; 05-20-2020 at 06:51 PM.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also pulling the drums off to check for a grease issue should be simple enough.
    Charles and Susan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    No recall or TSB, but GD and LCI has paid dealers to do the replacement or send you the parts to do yourself.

My intention wasnt to turn this into a greased brake topic, I think you should start by checking the adjustment on your brakes, but being a 2017, if it has never been inspected for greased brakes, there is a good possibility that you have greased brakes. If you recently got the trailer, its obviously used, did the prior owner or dealer you purchased from provide any insight if bearing inspections have been performed? There is no way to do a bearing inspection without seeing the brakes, so maybe the problem was previously addressed. If no bearing inspection was ever done, its time to do that as well.

They supposedly greased the bearings as part of their pre-delivery process. I'll have to ask them tomorrow if maybe they forgot to adjust the brakes after that...? I gather from this thread that I should be able to get the trailer brakes to lock up somewhere between 1 and 10 gain.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They supposedly greased the bearings as part of their pre-delivery process. I'll have to ask them tomorrow if maybe they forgot to adjust the brakes after that...? I gather from this thread that I should be able to get the trailer brakes to lock up somewhere between 1 and 10 gain.
    Depending on the quality of the dealer, greasing the bearings doesnt mean an inspection. A low quality service department would use the zerk fitting and pump grease in (these bearings should be hand packed, not injected). A reputable dealer would pull the hubs, inspect the bearings, hand pack with grease and install new grease seals.

Either way, seems like you should start with adjusting your brakes, if that doesnt work, go down the path of greased brakes.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    The dealer is going to tell you whatever they think will make you happy. Even if they inspected them doesn't mean they're adjusted properly.

First don't freak out on the grease issue just yet. You posted you know how to adjust car brakes. If you know how to adjust drum brakes your trailer brakes are no different. Although it can be adjusted with a screw driver a proper drum brake adjusting tool (local auto parts store for a few dollars) is easier.

Always start at the simplest item first (brake adjustment). If that doesn't work move on from there.

Until I can't physically craw under the trailer there is not a dealer in this world I would let adjust my brakes. It's my life it'll be my adjustment.
    Yes, if it's a simple drum brake setup with the slot on the inside to adjust the 'star' wheel, I've done that many times. I assume they are not self-adjusting like many cars, so you would adjust until the pads are just touching the drums.

I don't have the trailer close by -- it's at the dealer's storage facility about 30 miles away for $25/month. The price can't be beat, but it's a 1.5 hour drive out and back to get the trailer. Their storage yard is right next to their repair building, so that's why I'm thinking they might be able to at least check the brakes right there so I don't have to haul it back to my house and then back out there again.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, if it's a simple drum brake setup with the slot on the inside to adjust the 'star' wheel, I've done that many times. I assume they are not self-adjusting like many cars, so you would adjust until the pads are just touching the drums.

I don't have the trailer close by -- it's at the dealer's storage facility about 30 miles away for $25/month. The price can't be beat, but it's a 1.5 hour drive out and back to get the trailer. Their storage yard is right next to their repair building, so that's why I'm thinking they might be able to at least check the brakes right there so I don't have to haul it back to my house and then back out there again.
    Yes it's a simple drum brake with a star wheel.

Not sure if you really need it too lock up the brakes. Everything I've read is get going at 20 mph, take your foot off the gas then push the brake controller. The trailer brakes should be able to stop your entire rig in a reasonable amount of distance.

Properly adjusted your trailer brakes should stop the trailer with the truck brakes stopping the truck. If adjusted too tight you run the risk of locking up the trailer especially in the rain. If adjusted too loose you don't stop fast enough especially going down hill.

If it was me I'd take a Saturday, make the drive home, do an inspection, make the adjustment and see where you're at.
    Charles and Susan

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Locking the brakes on a heavy camper can be difficult. Easier on an empty flatbed or livestock trailer since they have brakes sized for the loaded trailer which are oversized for the empty trailer.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have adjusted my brakes so tight the wheel doesn’t spin one full revolution if I try to spin it by hand. Yet my brakes feel weak too, when new I had to set my gain to 8.5, I have it set at 9.5 now.

So today I started to rewire the brakes. Etrailer says the brake wire should be 12ga or preferably 10ga. 14ga was installed on mine, it’s it’s kind of a sloppy job, it’s about 6ft too long, has an extra splice and I’m told that wiring running through the axles is only 16ga! I’m now gonna run 14ga to the left and right sides of the unit. I’ve read that is effectively an 11ga setup. I’ll report back this weekend. I’m hoping to be able to back off the preload on the brakes since they are running a little hot as is.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    I have adjusted my brakes so tight the wheel doesn’t spin one full revolution if I try to spin it by hand. Yet my brakes feel weak too, when new I had to set my gain to 8.5, I have it set at 9.5 now.

So today I started to rewire the brakes. Etrailer says the brake wire should be 12ga or preferably 10ga. 14ga was installed on mine, it’s it’s kind of a sloppy job, it’s about 6ft too long, has an extra splice and I’m told that wiring running through the axles is only 16ga! I’m now gonna run 14ga to the left and right sides of the unit. I’ve read that is effectively an 11ga setup. I’ll report back this weekend. I’m hoping to be able to back off the preload on the brakes since they are running a little hot as is.
    Yes, please let me know how thicker wiring might help. Maybe not enough voltage is getting to the brakes? You might try just measuring voltage at the brake end of the wire while someone applies different gain settings. I wonder what the specs are?
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast