User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the issue with greasy brakes just that the grease seals on the hubs were faulty? So replacing them with new seals would fix it? Or was there a different problem that caused the grease leak?
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    Is the issue with greasy brakes just that the grease seals on the hubs were faulty? So replacing them with new seals would fix it? Or was there a different problem that caused the grease leak?
    Many posts on this and well documented. My early 2017 model had it. Dealer lied and said they fixed it but did not. The problem was bad, liquidy grease...along with poor installation methods and cheap grease seals. They are now using better grease. It's a long story.

The only proper way to remedy is full tear down, clean all bearings while checking for defects on bearing surfaces, new seals and a complete de greasing of the hub area. Existing brakes to be checked for contamination of grease. Brake linings cannot be cleaned. If needed, you replace the entire backing plate assembly (which are sold as a unit), a few bolts, couple of wires, readjust brakes, done! Actually quite simple. A disgusting story that never should have happened and it happened to many of us.

I can say however, this was the worst thing happened to my trailer. It has been mostly rock solid and very few minor needs other than that. I think the earlier trailers like mine, 2017 and older, may have had a bit more attention to detail than the newer ones based on comments here.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue was really the type of grease LCI used and the fact that they pumped the grease in(they have since changed grease type and method). I've used the exact same seals (new of course) when repacking bearings and had zero grease leakage. Once grease is on the pad, it's done, no amount of cleaning will get the grease out because of how porous the pads are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    The issue was really the type of grease LCI used and the fact that they pumped the grease in(they have since changed grease type and method). I've used the exact same seals (new of course) when repacking bearings and had zero grease leakage. Once grease is on the pad, it's done, no amount of cleaning will get the grease out because of how porous the pads are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    True! With the right grease, which was the real problem, the factory type seals are adequate. The grease is not going to get by!
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I am curious now to look at mine. Since I bought it used, I am hoping the previous owner would have fixed it, or that the dealer might have at least installed new seals and pads before reselling it. We'll see when I can get it home and take off the drums.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I am curious now to look at mine. Since I bought it used, I am hoping the previous owner would have fixed it, or that the dealer might have at least installed new seals and pads before reselling it. We'll see when I can get it home and take off the drums.
    Most sources recommend new seals every time you pull the drums and you’ll need to repack bearings and adjust brakes. It is believed that the problem was caused by installing the seals dry. They failed before any lubricant could get to them.

If you have good braking power, I wouldn’t be in a huge hurry to open it up unless you want to check everything and repack for a baseline.

I have a bunch of trailers and I try to keep a close eye on brakes and bearings, but I cheat a little to save time and work. I use an endoscope with my phone to look inside the drums via the wiring hole for grease bypassing the seal and to check shoe condition. I use an infrared thermometer often. When I pull in someplace that requires braking, like a rest area, I quickly check all my hub temperatures. The actual reading isn’t as important as how they compare. A cool one says the brake is not doing it’s share, and a hot one points to dragging or bearing issues.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea with the infrared thermometer and endoscope.

The dealer service dept is supposed to get back to me soon about what exactly they did before they sold me the camper. I am hoping all I need is to adjust the brakes, but I think I'd like to also replace the 16ga wire for the curb side with 14ga from the junction box.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea with the infrared thermometer and endoscope.

The dealer service dept is supposed to get back to me soon about what exactly they did before they sold me the camper. I am hoping all I need is to adjust the brakes, but I think I'd like to also replace the 16ga wire for the curb side with 14ga from the junction box.
    My dealer said they inspected the brakes before they delivered it as I requested on the sales contract. I also insisted they take pictures of every one when disassembled. When I got there they said they inspected but failed to take pictures. I refused delivery or even signing any paperwork until they pulled each drum with me watching. 2 of the 4 were contaminated and they replaced the complete assemblies before I signed anything.

Dealers may tell you what you want to hear.

Pull the drums and inspect them yourself.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update! Drove 300 miles to PA and back. Boy was it hot out! The braking was good. I ended up with the controller set at 6.0, still way down from the 9.5. I can feel that delay that’s built in and then I feel them grab. In my driveway I tested them before taking it back to storage. I get to 10 mph and pinch the controller, it locked atleast one tire up and took maybe 10’ to stop. It definitely won’t be pulled at idle.

For the $70 and couple hours I spent I’d say this definitely worth it before dropping big bucks on discs.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks for the update. Did you clean up the wiring on the street side at all?

This is a great first step (if there are no grease issues) and way cheaper than $2000 for disk brakes. If drum brakes are adequate when adjusted properly and wired correctly, then that's all it needs.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast