User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer braking is weak... maybe?

I have a 2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ with trailer package, so the trailer brake control is built in. I have a 2017 GD 2150RB trailer.

I just got the truck and trailer last year and took one trip with it. In the truck owner's manual, it says how to adjust the trailer brake gain:

1) Go at least 25mph
    2) Set the trailer brake gain to 1 and pinch the brake switch.
    3) Increase gain higher until pinching the switch causes the trailer brakes to lock up.
    4) Then back off 1 step on the gain.

I got all the way to 10 on mine and the brakes never locked up. Do I need new pads maybe? Does anyone else have a Silverado 1500 and a similar weight trailer and have to set gain to 10?
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When was the last time the trailer brakes were adjusted? If the trailer brakes are out of adjustment it won't matter what the gain is set at it still won't lock up.

I would properly adjust the trailer brakes then start your gain adjustment all over again.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree - correct place to start.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the adjustment doesnt work, I would pull the hubs and check for greased brakes. 2017 models were affected by the LCI grease issue. If you are unfamiliar with the issue, just search the forum for greased brakes and allow yourself hours to read through all of the discussions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    When was the last time the trailer brakes were adjusted? If the trailer brakes are out of adjustment it won't matter what the gain is set at it still won't lock up.

I would properly adjust the trailer brakes then start your gain adjustment all over again.
    Adjusted... hm. When I bought it last August, the dealer supposedly 'checked' the brakes. Not sure what that means though. I can call and ask them what they usually do with their used trailer inspection. Since it's a safety issue, they may want to check it again. Thanks!
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    If the adjustment doesnt work, I would pull the hubs and check for greased brakes. 2017 models were affected by the LCI grease issue. If you are unfamiliar with the issue, just search the forum for greased brakes and allow yourself hours to read through all of the discussions.

Grease on brakes... that would be bad. :-) I do car brakes myself, so I can likely do trailer brakes... clean, degrease, scuff up. I'll see if the dealer wants to back up their 'inspection' 9 months ago first though.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    Grease on brakes... that would be bad. :-) I do car brakes myself, so I can likely do trailer brakes... clean, degrease, scuff up. I'll see if the dealer wants to back up their 'inspection' 9 months ago first though.
    If you decide to inspect the brakes yourself and find grease on them, it might be worthwhile to call LCI and see if they will help you out. They will need your axle serial number, but I'd the problem has never been addressed on your axles, they might send you new brake assemblies. If they wont help, it's easier to replace the entire brake assembly compared to just the shoes. It will be no more than $50 per wheel depending what size axle you have, 5 bolts and 2 wires and you are done. Dont forget to replace the grease seal (recommended anytime the hub is pulled).

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    If you decide to inspect the brakes yourself and find grease on them, it might be worthwhile to call LCI and see if they will help you out. They will need your axle serial number, but I'd the problem has never been addressed on your axles, they might send you new brake assemblies. If they wont help, it's easier to replace the entire brake assembly compared to just the shoes. It will be no more than $50 per wheel depending what size axle you have, 5 bolts and 2 wires and you are done. Dont forget to replace the grease seal (recommended anytime the hub is pulled).

Oh, is there a recall or TSB on the brakes or something?
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not just the shoes that get contaminated. Trailer brakes use Electro magnets that ride on the drum to move the shoes. Magnets require dry drums and magnets.

My brand new 2017 had contaminated brakes at delivery due to leaking grease seals.

I eventually went to Disc Brakes which made a world of difference.

Here’s a picture of mine when I insisted that the dealer pull the drums and inspect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 250D39DA-2F76-4E76-A114-EC1BEE4DCD86.jpeg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    It’s not just the shoes that get contaminated. Trailer brakes use Electro magnets that ride on the drum to move the shoes. Magnets require dry drums and magnets.

My brand new 2017 had contaminated brakes at delivery due to leaking grease seals.

I eventually went to Disc Brakes which made a world of difference.

Here’s a picture of mine when I insisted that the dealer pull the drums and inspect.
    Wow! I wonder if mine are leaking then. Holy cow... that would not be a good thing towing downhill.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast