Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Do You Use To Help Your Wifi?

Typical campground beef, lousy wifi. Sure, the sign says wifi available but try to use it anywhere but the clubhouse and it's impossible. What do you all use when in this predicament? We're not tech beginners, we know our way around the computer, it's just that we can't get past this hurdle. There are repeaters, extenders, adapters, etc. Is there any one method or product that seems to be the "go-to" for help?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If we can't get a good signal from the campground wifi, we use one of our smart phones as a hot-spot. When that happens, we try not to download too much so we don't exceed our data plan. However, even if we have a terrific signal from the campground wifi, we will use the hotspot any time we want to pay bills or do banking. That way we don't have to worry about our private financial data being hacked.

Sometimes if were on the road, and we can get into a McDonalds, they have free wifi.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm do the same as Jim and Ginnie. We have a separate hotspot device from our cell carrier. I can work from where ever I set my laptop down so the hotspot has been great to avoid the less than stellar campground WiFi signals. I have yet to overrun my plan but am careful not to do large downloads.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a separate Verizon Hot Spot, called a Jet Pack. It's 4G where available. I have it bundled with our cell phones & MLB's iPad, so we share
    10 Gigs of data a month on the 4 devices. I'll pop into a McDonalds, Starbucks, or other place when I need to download/upload big files. For me, that's usually photos.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Pepwave Surf-To-Go. It picks up weak signals, you connect to the best one and your devices connect to the network created by the Pepwave. This means you don't have to configure your devices for each campground or whatever, just the Pepwave.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also use Verizon hotspot on our phone. We switched to Verizon for this reason. We check into satellite internet but it was way too expensive.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others we use a seperate hot spot from our cell provider. That usually seems to work, unless we are camping where there is no cell service.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option is, which depends on two factors, 1. if it's an Android phone, and 2. More importantly, how brave/techy you can be, you can make just about any Android phone a mobile hot spot. There are some Android forums out there that teach you how.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have AT&T for cell with 3Gb shared data. We used the smart phone for a hotspot until we saw how much data it was going through. the Pepwave device might be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestions, if anyone else can contribute a workable idea I'd like to hear it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
    I use the Pepwave Surf-To-Go. It picks up weak signals, you connect to the best one and your devices connect to the network created by the Pepwave. This means you don't have to configure your devices for each campground or whatever, just the Pepwave.

I took a look at the Pepwave device. As I understand, it is essentially an amplifier. In my experience in RV Parks, the problem is not always a weak wifi signal. I can frequently get a strong signal, but I have very slow download/upload speeds. I have attributed that condition to too many users on the network or "not enough bandwidth." Will the Pepwave, or a similar device help with that situation?
    (I'm a liberal arts bozo, so Keep It Simple please.)

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast