User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing 17MKE with V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I am want to purchase the 17MKE TT - it's so nice compared to other trailers that size. I have a 2019 Jeep GC to tow with (the 6 cylinder). Factory tow package. Towing capacity is 6200#, max tongue weight 625# - payload 1050 It's just me and two dogs so I think I'll be okay with the payload after adding the hitch weight and tongue weight. The trailer is 4700# dry with a max gross of 6000#. I have almost a 115" wheelbase, so I think I'm okay with the 22' length. Anyone tow with a similar setup? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve seen JGC towing some decent size trailers, they’ve all had one thing in common... they towed at 55-60mph. It’s a pretty short wheelbase and a relatively light vehicle. The trailer will be pushing you around which is why you might want to keep it at moderate speeds. You’ll want a good quality hitch WD hitch with sway control like a equalizer 4 point, Pull Pride or Hensley.

Assuming you guys don’t weigh more than 400lbs you will probably be fine. You’ll really want to watch the tongue weight, all travel trailers post these light numbers but they really come in higher than they publish. Empty will probably be a little closer to 5000lbs, Loaded up with a littte bit of water you might be 5500lbs, with 13% on the tongue, that’s 650lb already. If you live by a scale great, if not consider buying or borrowing a Sherline tongue scale.

In researching this I was curious as to what your gross combined rating was, or GCW or GCWR. That’s the weight of the Jeep and trailer. Many midsize SUV’s can be snagged by this, like max tow is 6200lbs and a 150lb driver. Now FCA doesn’t publish a US spec which is concerning but I found one in an Australian brochure of 12080lbs. When you surpass the GCW is when you start to have transmission problems usually. 12,000 is a pretty generous number, you may still want to consider more frequent transmission fluid changes since you’ll be around 90% capacity while towing.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    I’ve seen JGC towing some decent size trailers, they’ve all had one thing in common... they towed at 55-60mph. It’s a pretty short wheelbase and a relatively light vehicle. The trailer will be pushing you around which is why you might want to keep it at moderate speeds. You’ll want a good quality hitch WD hitch with sway control like a equalizer 4 point, Pull Pride or Hensley.

Assuming you guys don’t weigh more than 400lbs you will probably be fine. You’ll really want to watch the tongue weight, all travel trailers post these light numbers but they really come in higher than they publish. Empty will probably be a little closer to 5000lbs, Loaded up with a littte bit of water you might be 5500lbs, with 13% on the tongue, that’s 650lb already. If you live by a scale great, if not consider buying or borrowing a Sherline tongue scale.

In researching this I was curious as to what your gross combined rating was, or GCW or GCWR. That’s the weight of the Jeep and trailer. Many midsize SUV’s can be snagged by this, like max tow is 6200lbs and a 150lb driver. Now FCA doesn’t publish a US spec which is concerning but I found one in an Australian brochure of 12080lbs. When you surpass the GCW is when you start to have transmission problems usually. 12,000 is a pretty generous number, you may still want to consider more frequent transmission fluid changes since you’ll be around 90% capacity while towing.
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Flip94ta. Check GCWR on your Jeep door sticker. The main thing is to know the combined weights and make sure they are in line.

I have the MKE17 and pull it with a Chevy Colorado 4wd 6 cylinder. Vehicle towing capacity is 7500 lbs 17MKE max weight is around 5600 lbs. I use sway control hitch. My truck will pull it ok through the Arkansas Ozarks. I can confirm for me 65 mph is about the top cruising speed I want to go. Yesterday driving home with the 17MKE my wife actually asked why I kept my speed at 63 mph (I didn't realize I was), It was because I could feel the trailer back there and that was comfortable.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janemu View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I am want to purchase the 17MKE TT - it's so nice compared to other trailers that size. I have a 2019 Jeep GC to tow with (the 6 cylinder). Factory tow package. Towing capacity is 6200#, max tongue weight 625# - payload 1050 It's just me and two dogs so I think I'll be okay with the payload after adding the hitch weight and tongue weight. The trailer is 4700# dry with a max gross of 6000#. I have almost a 115" wheelbase, so I think I'm okay with the 22' length. Anyone tow with a similar setup? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
    my opinion; you are not giving yourself much wiggle room regarding the numbers. I prefer to have a TV that is significantly more than needed rather than being so close to the max. my .02 only
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They must have derated the tow capacities for the Grand Cherokee. I have a 2014 Hemi Summit that is rated at 7200# tow capacity and 725# tongue weight with 1250# payload, the 3.5L V-6 was rated similarly. I used it to pull a Flagstaff 26wkfs up and down the east coast for two years. It handled just fine with the WDH dialed in correctly, I had an 10,000# Equal-I-Zer hitch. I found early that the gearing is the Achilles Heel. It didn't like running up and down mountains as the engine would downshift on a decent incline and be screaming at 4000 rpm. Temperatures shot up if I tried to sustain that for too long a period of time so I had to slow down and let engine and transmission cool. At 3.09/1 the axle ratio just isn't up to that kind of pulling. If you plan to tow regularly I would recommend a transmission cooler to help out. As long as you check your weights and plan your route carefully you'll be OK.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 09-13-2020 at 02:25 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you end up purchasing the 17MKE? If so, how is it working with the Jeep GC? I ask because we would seriously love to have this TT, but our TV is a Jeep GC. It is the V8 5.7L Hemi with factory tow package with engine-cooling, etc., rated for up to 7400#. We will mostly be pulling in flat areas (FL), with an occasional trip to some southern states that might have a few more hills (AL, WV, GA, TN, etc.). We really want a Grand Design, but this is one of the lightest I can find. The only one lighter doesn’t have a “real” bed, you must convert a dinette, which isn’t going to work for our old bodies. LOL.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webdesigngirl it's just my wife and I. We don't carry a ton of stuff and I use a Chevy Colorado 6 cylinder with 7500# towing capacity to haul the 17MKE. I have gone up some pretty decent hills. You'll want a weight distribution hitch. My only issue has been that since it's a smaller (lighter weight) vehicle you are pushed around more by the wind and passing semis.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loaded, the tongue weight of the 17MKE will be around 760 lbs. (the advertised tongue weights are dry/empty). You will be over the payload capacity of the Jeep - especially with passengers and gear.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, it’s looking more and more like my dream of a grand design is going to be squashed. a new vehicle is not an option and they don’t make much lighter. we thought a v8 hemi with a higher tow capacity for a jeep would give us more options. starting to feel like not. even the lighter weight tt from other manufacturers that weight the same as this are advertised as suv towable. guess not.
    Last edited by webdesigngirl; 03-02-2021 at 08:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast