User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Grand Design gone down in quality?

I know GD is known for their CS but has anyone noticed a decline in build quality?

As a Grand Design owner myself I've been pretty happy with my 2015 Reflection 317RST. I've had my share of leaks and repairs I've had to shake down over the course of time but the build quality has been pretty good. I've owned 4 RV's in the past from Forest River Salem's to a Keystone Cougar and none of those held up like my Reflection.

Our 4 daughters were growing up and more time was being spent in the living area. Bunkhouses seemed like a waste of space so we switched to a rear living in 2015. Fast forward and now we have grand children and a couple of our adult children still enjoy camping with us. On top of that we now go RV'ing with our friends and usually have another couple that stay with us. I really thought in 2020 it would be just my wife and I which is why we went with a rear living.

The floorplans available now are pretty sweet across all manufacturers compared to 2015 but we'd like to stay with Grand Design. We've been trying to find a 2020 reflection 367BHS in pebble for the last 2 months with no success. My wife and I decided to lower our expectations and settle for the cappuccino which are the earlier 2020 builds. We found 2 in stock at Colerain RV but where 2 hours away, one 2 hours north of us and the other 2 hours south of us. I convinced my wife we're going to have to do some traveling to find what we want. A two hour drive is no big deal except when you get there only to find issues.

The first one we looked at in Columbus, Oh had trim sagging and just looked dull and faded. It was when I climbed on the roof, I discovered the dicor on the rear corners to have 1" by 1/8" gap which means snow and rain has been leaking down the back corners of the roof. The second one is in Lexington, Ky which we thought was going to be the one! It was dirty but at least didn't have a dull look to it. No sagging trim, but the bedroom thermostat was just hanging by it's wires and missing bedroom door knob. Those small things are cosmetic and not a show stopper. I asked that the unit be plugged into shore power so I can inspect/operate everything before I decided to make the purchase. When I tried to operate the self leveling system it had a "Error LR Jack" on the display". My goal was to hook up my 2018 F350 SRW to check bed clearance, but I couldn't even get the jacks to raise enough to hook up. The front jacks would move a little and the display started dimming and the jacks quit moving up or down. Ok that can be fixed. I decided to move on and perform the roof inspection only to find the same thing! Not only is the rear corners of the roof been leaking but the TPO material on the driver side was separating from the roof. I don't know if water had penetrated and caused this separation or the TPO wasn't installed correctly.

I showed pictures of the roof to the local sales person at the dealership and he said he doesn't know what's going on with Grand Design lately, but they've been seeing quality issues lately. I called my local sales lady at Colerain RV and told her I'm getting frustrated driving around to look at these units just to find leaky roofs. Of course she said Colerain will probably send them back to GD, but I bet they just glob dicor over those corners and sell them to the next person.

I get it, roofs need attention and IMO these dealers need to spot seal these roofs. They don't expect buyers like me to climb up there and inspect the seams. On the other had is GD getting stingy with the materials they're using during the build process. When I purchased my GD in 2015, the dicor was applied very thick. If their really getting stingy on dicor what else are they scaling back? I've also been looking at Jayco Eagles that have been on the lot just as long and have not seen any sagging trim much less leaking roofs.

We were really hoping to have our new 367BHS by our Beach trip in June but it's not looking very promising .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1903.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	26663

Name:	IMG_1904.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	26664

Name:	IMG_1919.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	26665

Name:	IMG_1922.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	26666

Name:	IMG_1923.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	26667
    Last edited by hlozano; 05-21-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the same concern about the build quality when we got the bug to upgrade. Looked at a few that looked like they were falling apart sitting on the lot. Have to weigh the abuse people put floor models through and construction quality. But then also came to the conclusion that GD is still the best out there and at least they stand behind their product. Then they discontinued the model we were interestd in . Really prefer to order than buy one off the lot...unless they offer a smoking deal on the right rig
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hlozano View Post
    Now that I see what it is I had that same problem on my trailer but it happened over a short period after taking delivery. Even though Grand Design intervened and got me a date with a dealer to fix many other problems six weeks out. Because the scheduled service was after the 90 day warranty period for roof issues they declined to cover the repair.
    And to add, sadly in a negative way, there goes the Grand design claim to quality control and pre-delivery PDI at the factory. But I already knew that. Honestly what saving grace is great customer service when your new RV has spent 18 weeks cumulative on a dealer lot with 4 to 6 week wait times and 50 mile trips each way?
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-21-2020 at 07:56 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am definitely concerned about workmanship!! I bought our new 2020 Solitude 375RES in late August we used it for Labor Day and Halloween. I leave our camper outside during the winter months and we went to open it up in late April. I found a puddle of water in our basement floor under the living room!! So we wiped up water and noticed the mildew on the wall plus the bubbles starting under the vinyl flooring. We called the dealer where we purchased it from and they said to bring the unit in asap because they were slow (Covid 19). I sprayed the outside around window and side compartment door with water hose and found the window was leaking badly. Dealer called a week later and said it was fixed, they siliconed the window. But here is the best part!!!...... they were not authorized to remove the mildew or check under the unit for water damage or mold!!!! I was told to go to Lowes and they sell mildew remover that I can spray on walls!?!!??? I cant imagine how much water was leaking in from November to April. Also that water had to go somewhere after seeping thru the floor! I expect the insulation under the floor is saturated. I just picked up the unit and I may drop underbelly covering myself to see how bad it is then call Grand Design back?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be the "tree that stands in the forest," here. We felt the built quality and fit/finish on our 2016 Reflection 337 (built early summer of 2014) was pretty good. There weren't any major issues to address and, when a couple of things developed several years down the road, GD was quick to address them. When we picked up our new 2020 Solitude 310 in February, it was in as good shape - or better than - our Reflection had been. We love our dealership (CSRA Camperland in Augusta, GA) and feel that they have very good, experienced techs. A tech had already been on the roof of our unit to install the vent covers, so I'm confident he had looked things over while up there. I climbed up and looked during the PDI (and have been up a couple of times since then to trim some tree limbs and clear debris off the roof and solar panel) and I've seen no signs of patching. We discovered a cracked sewer line cap a week or two later (probably caught a rock from the road) and had a drip from the backflow regulator in the shower faucet. The dealer replaced both of these when we had the rig back in for the W/D installation. I've added the fork oil to the hydraulic fluid to decrease the popping sound in the leveler struts. Sitting here looking around the rig, I can't think of another thing that's needed to be done other than our own personal mods, etc. A series of two is certainly not statistically significant, but from my limited point of view, I don't see any change.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I'll be the "tree that stands in the forest," here. We felt the built quality and fit/finish on our 2016 Reflection 337 (built early summer of 2014) was pretty good. There weren't any major issues to address and, when a couple of things developed several years down the road, GD was quick to address them. When we picked up our new 2020 Solitude 310 in February, it was in as good shape - or better than - our Reflection had been. We love our dealership (CSRA Camperland in Augusta, GA) and feel that they have very good, experienced techs. A tech had already been on the roof of our unit to install the vent covers, so I'm confident he had looked things over while up there. I climbed up and looked during the PDI (and have been up a couple of times since then to trim some tree limbs and clear debris off the roof and solar panel) and I've seen no signs of patching. We discovered a cracked sewer line cap a week or two later (probably caught a rock from the road) and had a drip from the backflow regulator in the shower faucet. The dealer replaced both of these when we had the rig back in for the W/D installation. I've added the fork oil to the hydraulic fluid to decrease the popping sound in the leveler struts. Sitting here looking around the rig, I can't think of another thing that's needed to be done other than our own personal mods, etc. A series of two is certainly not statistically significant, but from my limited point of view, I don't see any change.

Rob
    Rob
    Not disputing your observations but maybe it's the fact you have moved up the line. You had an older Reflection. 2014 (a period when GD established their reputation) to 2019 (where it seems complaints start to become prevalent) could be a huge difference in build and with many mitigating factors I.E. executive leadership, personnel, cost constraints. I think if you notice most of the complaints you see are from folks that have Reflection 150s, Reflections both 5W and tag and Imagines. You say the Solitude was in your eyes better than the Reflection. Of course it could be too that the higher mark up on a Solitude motivates a dealer to go through and find problems before a customer does. I know for a fact there was no pre-delivery inspection done by the dealer I bought from.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-21-2020 at 08:16 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also don't understand why dealers don't do small repairs when the unit is sitting on there lot. Things like the attached pics are easy repairs and would make it a little more eye pleasing when customers are walking thru the units.

Name:	IMG_1916.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	26669

Name:	IMG_1917.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	26670

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had three Grand Design 5th wheels. A 2016, 2019 and now a 2020. I haven't noticed any changes in build quality over the model years. Our last two had full body paint. According to Grand Design and the folks I've talked to there, RV's with full body paint go through a second PDI after paint so that may explain why ours are in good shape. I've looked closely at the roofs on all three rigs and the sealing on the roof of our 2020 is the best yet. They definitely did NOT skimp on sealant up there.

We've only spent one night in the 2020 but so far, everything has worked as expected. We're hitting the road in a week so we'll have a better idea of build quality real soon.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    Rob - it would be interesting to hear from the many other folks who are on their 2nd, 3rd or more GDRVs particularly comparing a few years ago to current. Your feedback along with Brian @bertschb , Kim @Chiefblueman , Kay and Dave @2hams , and several others would be a value. I know you and others have shared feedback in other threads but hopefully we can receive comments from those who have actually bought their 2nd, 3rd, or more GDRVs. Maybe Chris @chris is still out there to share moving from a 2014 Solitude 369 to a Solitude 385 as I recall. As the original forum owner, Chris' feedback would be of value from several fronts.

It would also be interesting the hear from Steve @huntr70 as a long time GDRV dealer rep and GDRV Reflection owner.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to hear the Solitude owners seem to be having good luck for the most part. The sales rep told me he actually had a Solitude on the lot with a loose screw under the TPO. He said it's like a random screw was laying on the roof and it just got covered leaving a lump under the membrane.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast