User Tag List

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @halozano - you don't say if these were new or used units. If new, how long have they been on the lot? If more than 3 months, did the Dealer do the required roof inspections and correct any problems? That is the recommended service interval. If used, all bets are off.

I purchased a 2020 2670mk in the fall and have been happy with the build qualify. I did inspect the roof before winter and found a small imperfection in the dicor on the front right corner. There was material underneath - it was more of a bubble. I don't think much if any water intrusion was occurring at that point. I also found a point around the ladder mount that I thought looked a little thin. Fixed both of those.

There is a reason the mfr tells you to check the roof so frequently and I can "imagine" that after construction, there is initial movement and settling in the unit that might cause small gaps in the dicor to form. It is normal for houses to settle after being constructed resulting in cracks and they aren't bouncing down the highway. If I was a Dealer, I would be doing an initial inspection upon receipt including the roof. Don't know if that is standard but I would think a well run operation would do so. Then, if it sits there, they need to do the required inspections every 3 months. I think things are backed up with the recent Covid 19 shutdown as folks have been furloughed and, to be frank, a lot of these dealerships are not well run, particularly the service areas.
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 05-21-2020 at 09:51 AM.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,
    I hope you are all well. We have been enjoying our 385GK, and camping quite a bit. We just got it back from the factory. Our unit was originally delivered with 4 bubbles in the step side slide out. We didn’t want the dealer to handle the replacement, since we have full body paint. I wanted the factory paint shop to do it. They did a great job, put it all back together, and sent it back.

With that said, that has been the only real major issue with it. Everything else has been trim related, for the most part. We thought we had an issue with the stove, but that resolved itself. I had a propane regulator go bad, and that’s been pretty much it. We’re really pleased with it. If you have any questions, let me know. BTW, when we first looked at the floor plan, we didn’t really like it. But we sat in one at our dealer enough times, that it really grew on us. We couldn’t imagine having a different camper. The windows make it truly wonderful. We love the big window on the street side in the hallway. The kitchen window and the window behind the TV are perfect. It’s got great airflow when we’re up in the mountains. Even the bedroom is good from that standpoint. I’m waiting for my RV Airflow products to become available so that we can get that taken care of.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone familiar with manufacturing control processes understands that even six sigma controls produce complex products with issues. Increase the number of components and you increase the chance of issues in a single unit e.g. automobiles. The question is if the audit processes like a PDI catch and fix or remove those units appropriately.

Anecdotally, my new 2020 trailer looks to be good quality considering the materials. But nothing replaces a quality PDI to figure out the extent of errors with the specific unit you are purchasing.

Keep in mind that minor changes in QC (e.g. six down to five sigma) can result in a drastic change in number of out of spec components. It's a constant fight. But trailers being hand constructed in many ways are I'm sure more prone to variation. I'm not sure if GD is good or bad, but just pointing out that if an automobile produced in multi billion dollar computerized factories can produce units that have a few faults and variations, it seems unlikely you're going to find perfection instead in a manual production line. Just my 2c.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I hope you are all well. We have been enjoying our 385GK, and camping quite a bit. We just got it back from the factory. Our unit was originally delivered with 4 bubbles in the step side slide out. We didn’t want the dealer to handle the replacement, since we have full body paint. I wanted the factory paint shop to do it. They did a great job, put it all back together, and sent it back.

With that said, that has been the only real major issue with it. Everything else has been trim related, for the most part. We thought we had an issue with the stove, but that resolved itself. I had a propane regulator go bad, and that’s been pretty much it. We’re really pleased with it. If you have any questions, let me know. BTW, when we first looked at the floor plan, we didn’t really like it. But we sat in one at our dealer enough times, that it really grew on us. We couldn’t imagine having a different camper. The windows make it truly wonderful. We love the big window on the street side in the hallway. The kitchen window and the window behind the TV are perfect. It’s got great airflow when we’re up in the mountains. Even the bedroom is good from that standpoint. I’m waiting for my RV Airflow products to become available so that we can get that taken care of.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Hey Chris,really good to hear from you ! Thank you, much for sharing your feedback. The factory service center and particularly the team Jerry has built are truly wonderful ! So great to hear that you enjoy your 385. Stay well !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up our Momentum 351M on May 5. I don't see any issue where quality is diminishing. There are a couple of minor blemishes, one with small section of the wallpaper and one exterior decal. Other than than, fit and finish is great. Granted, I haven't had time to peak behind the basement walls (yes I know what to expect), but on the surface level, no complaints.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakKnight View Post
    Anyone familiar with manufacturing control processes understands that even six sigma controls produce complex products with issues. Increase the number of components and you increase the chance of issues in a single unit e.g. automobiles. The question is if the audit processes like a PDI catch and fix or remove those units appropriately.

Anecdotally, my new 2020 trailer looks to be good quality considering the materials. But nothing replaces a quality PDI to figure out the extent of errors with the specific unit you are purchasing.

Keep in mind that minor changes in QC (e.g. six down to five sigma) can result in a drastic change in number of out of spec components. It's a constant fight. But trailers being hand constructed in many ways are I'm sure more prone to variation. I'm not sure if GD is good or bad, but just pointing out that if an automobile produced in multi billion dollar computerized factories can produce units that have a few faults and variations, it seems unlikely you're going to find perfection instead in a manual production line. Just my 2c.
    Very well said.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    @halozano - you don't say if these were new or used units. If new, how long have they been on the lot? If more than 3 months, did the Dealer do the required roof inspections and correct any problems? That is the recommended service interval. If used, all bets are off.
    These are new units. They are both early 2020 models since they're cappuccino in color so I'd imagine they've been sitting on the lot for at least a year.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I'll gladly weigh in on it. There is a reason I own a Grand Design, and it isn't anything like "kickback from the manufacturer" or "nothing else on our lot".

If anything , I think the actual builds are every bit as good as they were, arguably better. The whole process hasn't changed. The lamination building is much larger and climate controlled, but the process is the same.

I would highly recommend anyone to go visit several different manufacturers in the Elkhart, Indiana area and then make a decision. That did it for me. The GD shops are by far the cleanest and most organized RV plants I've ever seen, and I've been through a bunch of them. The exception would be Winnebago Motorized in Iowa, and I even made a comment to Jerry McCarthy (head of Service for GD) who took us through our tour, that there plants looked like Winnebago plants. This was all before Winnebago was in the GD picture. Funny how that worked out.

The units come in to me are just as good as they were first year. Components seem to be much better, as you, the owners, have given them input as to what worked and what doesn't work.

If there is one thing that may contribute to issues people have, is that they are now building them faster than they were the first 2 years. Going from 8-10 trailers a day to 15-20 has to make a difference. But again, the processes are all still the same.

One thing any owner has to remember is that their PDI building is within several hundred yards of any of their plants. The move from plant to PDI is barely a move at all. They then complete the PDI, and they go to shipping. Now....send that rig on it's first "on road" trip, and things are going to happen. It is roughly 600 some odd miles from there to our dealership. Things shake, rattle and roll. We as a dealer need to now do a thorough PDI on that rig to make sure things didn't happen, and catch the things to do happen.

I can tell you many stories about other manufacturers that hook up cold water lines to hot fixtures, and all kind of things....doesn't happen on these.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my 0.02, and it may not mean much since we have only upgraded once, and don't intend to upgrade again, from a 2017 Imagine 2950RL to our 2019 Solitude 3350RL. Now i realize there is a big difference between our two units, their standard systems and price point. I know they are built at different plants, we toured the Solitude plant.
    As far as the build quality on trim, screws, vinyl floor, carpet, door knobs, slide mechanics, cabinet/door alignments, lamination, windows, fans, seals, roofs etc, they are the same build quality, very minor issues. Neither of our units have had any major problems or failures yet. All of the appliances, furnace, ACs, refrigerator, stove, water heater and such on either unit, of course are all out sourced, but not a failure yet.

Now if your talking sloppy workmanship in the plumbing and wiring, they are still the same, just as sloppy, but no problems with either system on our two units. Relating to frames and suspensions, both had clean frames, no corrosion to speak of, and well attached / sealed cloroplast. Suspension on the Imagine was cheaply done, but on our Solitude I expected a better greasable leaf spring suspension and didn't get it totally, they still got cheap on the leaf spring hangers, no greasable bushings.

So on balance, we have scene no difference in the quality build, no degradation but no improvement either.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hlozano View Post
    These are new units. They are both early 2020 models since they're cappuccino in color so I'd imagine they've been sitting on the lot for at least a year.
    So the Dealership should have done the initial inspection and subsequent roof inspections as many as 3 times. That doesn't appear to have been done, at least not with a detailed orientation and any follow-up. Recommend you do not let the Sales Lady put this off on GD.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast