User Tag List

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oildriller View Post
    I am looking at a GD Reflection or Solitude S-Class. I have heard nothing but good about GD but since GD got bought out by Winnebago I have a HUGE question mark on their business plan forward. In addition to COVID and lack of qualified workers and qualified workers jumping ship for more money I am struggling with what I am hearing on the NEW models of GD. I use to own a Country Coach diesel pusher back in the 2000's. CC was like GD and it was a private held company. Like GD, It was the best you could buy with attention to quality control and detail. Then CC got bought out by National and long story it went down hill. Eventually going bankrupt. So whenever a private RV manufacture gets bought out by a big boy it makes me wonder how long before it turns to crap.
    Winnebago's acquisition of Grand Design happened in 2016. Winnebago is not involved in the daily operations of Grand Design. Any changes observed in the past few years are likely the result of other causes.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Minnow101 you really think that I should have caught all of that on a pre delivery inspection? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. I didn't think any of you guys worked for Grand Design. You seem to miss my whole point, which is GD talks ad nauseum about their quality and inspections and they missed a ridiculous number of items on our camper. As I said, they may have had high standards and execution at some point but that is not the case on what they are building now. Just like in the stock market, past performance is no indicator of the future. GD is now part of big conglomerate and it's beginning to show. I'm just sharing my experience so that others can make an informed decision.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Grand Design gone down in quality?

Quote Originally Posted by OUR17MKE View Post
    Wow Minnow101 you really think that I should have caught all of that on a pre delivery inspection? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. I didn't think any of you guys worked for Grand Design. You seem to miss my whole point, which is GD talks ad nauseum about their quality and inspections and they missed a ridiculous number of items on our camper. As I said, they may have had high standards and execution at some point but that is not the case on what they are building now. Just like in the stock market, past performance is no indicator of the future. GD is now part of big conglomerate and it's beginning to show. I'm just sharing my experience so that others can make an informed decision.
    While I agree that GD absolutely uses a reputation of quality as a form of marketing, we do need to keep in mind the business model. This business is walking a line of its own and taking elements of other models. Let’s be fair, everyone has had to make adjustments due to Covid-19 and it’s related effects. This is a specialty business with very high elasticity, meaning this industry is based on (at least historically) disposable income. In 2008 this industry was on life support and we witnessed a huge consolidation among companies. The rv industry was doing well when covid hit and that drove enormous demand. So, disposable income, specialty market, human dependency, increased demand, supply chain issues, worker issues. Lots of problems. I am by no means giving GD or any other mfgr out the a free pass, but these all lead to qualify issues.

Now when you look at the sales end, many dealer just want to move product out the door and post sales support sucks eggs. So they push as fast as possible so that many errors (to your very valid point) that should have never made it out of the factory are missed a second time during the dealer Pre-Sales inspection(yes they do one) and then the again prior to delivery (conventional PDI). So, in reality several issues have taken an industry not well known for high quality and made it harder, then a lack of dealer participation prior to the sale pretty much leaves it up to us. Many people who may be new to this market take things at face value and don’t do as complete of a PDI as they should (not saying that is the case with you) and walk away with a time bomb.

To your case, in my honest opinion some of those issues you are experiencing may not have been visible (water leak for example) until bad enough to become visible. I feel for you this is a tough situation. With all that said, GD excels at customer service. Of all the companies out there they are toward the top, so, if you work with them, I believe they will make it right.

Ok, my finger is tired and I need a drink. I wish you the best of luck with your challenges.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OUR17MKE View Post
    I don’t understand the “GD talks ad nauseum about their quality and inspections”
    Where are you seeing this?

Before I bought mine I never saw any advertising by GD
    Maybe the stuff on their website but as Judge Judy would say “ that is puffing”

They are no better or worse than anyone

Btw I spent 15 minutes on my pdi
    Drove 13 hours there and had no patience to sit there. Just wanted to get back on the road

GD and my dealer must have did a fantastic job because there was no issues
    Everything worked as it should in my driveway

First trip out after a week on a site developed a leak at outside spray port
    Must have loosened due to road vibration
    It happens

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2021 GD solitude has had minor issues.

That said....every manufactured RVs have issues. Some bug some small.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff. 108 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything manufactured will have a percentage of defects in their products. Everything. Most, if not all, companies have it built into their business model. That being said, it really sucks being one who gets the bad products, in this case RV. I, like most others, have had very few and mostly minor issues. Some, like you have many issues, some major. I have found, in talking to people who own different brands (as I did once), and people who own Grand Design, that Grand Design stands behind their product better and more than most. The few times I have called them they have been very responsive, and gone overboard to help. I have gotten excess parts to fix things that I didn't even ask for. It was something I could fix and did not really need the replacement parts. It really does suck to have the "bad" unit. I wish I could help, but I can't, other than to say, Call Grand Design.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fwiw..... RVDA has come out with their "Best Of The Worst" list... oops.... sorry... That should be the RVDA's "...Quality Circle Awards for achieving the highest scores in the association’s 27th Annual Dealer Satisfaction Index (DSI) survey..."

[LIST][*]Airstream[*]Alliance RV (Paradigm, Valor)[*]CrossRoads RV (Zinger/Volante)[*]Cruiser RV (Shadow Cruiser, MPG, Radiance, Embrace, Stryker)[*]East to West (Alta, Della Terra)[*]Forest River (Flagstaff travel trailers, fifth wheels, and Shamrock expandables)[*]Grand Design RV (Imagine, Momentum, Reflection, Solitude, Transcend)[*]Gulf Stream Coach (Innsbruck, Amerilite, Conquest, Kingsport)[*]Heartland RV (Milestone, Elk Ridge, Big Country)[*]Highland Ridge RV[*]intech RV (Flyer, Luna, Sol, Terra)[*]Keystone RV (Alpine, Avalanche, Cougar, Montana, High Country, Raptor, Carbon)[*]KZ RV (Durango, Durango Gold, Venom, V-Series, Sportsmen, Sportsmen Sportster, Sportsmen Classic)[*]Lance Camper (truck campers)[*]Venture RV (SportTrek, Sonic, Status)[*]Winnebago

I thought that last year (or the year before??) GD was at the top of the list. Maybe it was a different list.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    fwiw..... RVDA has come out with their "Best Of The Worst" list... oops.... sorry... That should be the RVDA's "...Quality Circle Awards for achieving the highest scores in the association’s 27th Annual Dealer Satisfaction Index (DSI) survey..."

[LIST][*]Airstream[*]Alliance RV (Paradigm, Valor)[*]CrossRoads RV (Zinger/Volante)[*]Cruiser RV (Shadow Cruiser, MPG, Radiance, Embrace, Stryker)[*]East to West (Alta, Della Terra)[*]Forest River (Flagstaff travel trailers, fifth wheels, and Shamrock expandables)[*]Grand Design RV (Imagine, Momentum, Reflection, Solitude, Transcend)[*]Gulf Stream Coach (Innsbruck, Amerilite, Conquest, Kingsport)[*]Heartland RV (Milestone, Elk Ridge, Big Country)[*]Highland Ridge RV[*]intech RV (Flyer, Luna, Sol, Terra)[*]Keystone RV (Alpine, Avalanche, Cougar, Montana, High Country, Raptor, Carbon)[*]KZ RV (Durango, Durango Gold, Venom, V-Series, Sportsmen, Sportsmen Sportster, Sportsmen Classic)[*]Lance Camper (truck campers)[*]Venture RV (SportTrek, Sonic, Status)[*]Winnebago

I thought that last year (or the year before??) GD was at the top of the list. Maybe it was a different list.
    What's even funnier, is that several of the top of the list are horrible builds. You couldn't give me a Crossroads RV for free....

Cruiser has several models that share an assembly line with Heartland, (same trailer, different graphics) and no mention of Heartland.

It really is who pads whose pockets for that rating.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    What's even funnier, is that several of the top of the list are horrible builds. You couldn't give me a Crossroads RV for free....

Cruiser has several models that share an assembly line with Heartland, (same trailer, different graphics) and no mention of Heartland.

I agree. Forest River has more recalls than most, along with Keystone. Apparently more money goes to padding pockets that build quality...
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post

Hmmm, good point, me thinks we could do our own RV manufacturing, I'm good with drills, who's in?
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast