Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Headed Out On The Road

Okay I got to ask.....

Are folks starting to hit the road and go across state lines yet? I hear stories about the campgrounds taking your money on the phone and the offices are closed etc. etc..... but no problem getting reservations and places are starting to fill up.

Feedback from anyone now traveling is appreciated.....really contemplating headed to Colorado from Florida in a few days.....

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Tech View Post
    Okay I got to ask.....

Are folks starting to hit the road and go across state lines yet? I hear stories about the campgrounds taking your money on the phone and the offices are closed etc. etc..... but no problem getting reservations and places are starting to fill up.

Feedback from anyone now traveling is appreciated.....really contemplating headed to Colorado from Florida in a few days.....

Mark
    Hi! Thanks for bringing this up. We're in the planning stages of a trip we're hoping to take to Idaho, Yellowstone, and South Dakota in August. We made reservations for Grizzly RV Park and Rafter J Bar Ranch but just in case we did ask about their cancellation policies. We are interested in what others are experiencing so we will be monitoring this post.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjndsa View Post
    Hi! Thanks for bringing this up. We're in the planning stages of a trip we're hoping to take to Idaho, Yellowstone, and South Dakota in August. We made reservations for Grizzly RV Park and Rafter J Bar Ranch but just in case we did ask about their cancellation policies. We are interested in what others are experiencing so we will be monitoring this post.
    If you don't mind sharing their policies, It would help get a general feel for where things stand. In places like those it could be they expect persons are timid to commit. Or anticipation of a sudden demand will encourage them to enforce or strengthen current policy.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been traveling a few times since this hit. Honestly, it's nothing I've been to outside of the NE has been all that different. Check in is online, I got an e-mail with my spot on it and never saw/talked to anyone checking in (honestly, IMHO, a nice change, I'm not in the mood to make small talk after driving all day). The public areas are closed most places I've been, but I never use them anyway, so it doesn't have much impact (restrooms/pool/etc). Honestly, with the exception of check in, I'm not sure I'd notice there was a crisis going on, it's pretty much "the same".

That said, next week I'm relocating my mother from FL to her summer home in NY, following her with the RV so she has a place to sleep when we're on the road and a bathroom/food without being exposed to others. So for this trip, I had to make a reservation at an RV park in NY, and that's a different ballgame. 2 week stay min, not sure if they are going to be open or not, all kinds of uncertainty. Much different than any of the travel I've done in SE since this hit. So I think a lot of this depends on where you are/where your going. Want to go to a popular beach? That could be hard/interesting. Want to go to a boondock location in MT? I suspect you wouldn't even know there's something going on in MT, let alone find difficulty in locating spots to camp.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just reserved a spot for 1 night in Forsyth GA for an over night stay then a spot in North Western SC at a private park. They were fairly relaxed and did not even take a deposit. We at first reserved at a SC State park with no issue but decided on full HU for the 10 or more days. Due to Covid we did not get hit with any cancellation penalties from SC state Parks.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just considering a trip to Idaho to see my family. The two campgrounds I wanted to stay at were both open, including the one in Mesa Verde NP, CO. It definitely looks like travel in the west is possible right now.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are moving from an "urban" park in Augusta, GA, to the Army resort at Lake Strom Thurmond this coming Wednesday (confirmed, deposit paid, only local RV traffic allowed - which we are since we're just coming from town). All facilities are still closed, no tent camping allowed, and RVs must be completely self-contained. After a week there, we will leave for Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland to arrive 6 June (strict rules for getting on and off post, shopping at the commissary and using facilities). We have reservations at a private campground in NC for two nights on the way to MD - a place we have stayed several times before en route and the KOA just north of Richmond, VA. Both places are open and allowed to take overnight reservations.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oregon St. Parks are still closed to camping. Some private/county parks are open. But I've heard a lot of the locals don't want out of state travelers in their towns just yet. I guess it would be OK if you didn't leave the CG. Some Forest Service CG are open here in CA., but most wont open till later in the month. Eagle Lake CGs (FS) is open as the fish opener is today. Will probably go there in a week or two when the crowds thin out, as OS Parks canceled my reservations for May & June.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Tech View Post
    Okay I got to ask.....

Feedback from anyone now traveling is appreciated.....really contemplating headed to Colorado from Florida in a few days.....a

Mark
    As of May 23. State of New Mexico is starting to open slowly. A few state parks are open for day use, no over night camping. Private RV parks in NM are limited to 25% occupancy for short term/over night stays. Gallup NM area is a hot spot and at this time has more restrictions than the rest of the state.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J___ View Post
    As of May 23. State of New Mexico is starting to open slowly. A few state parks are open for day use, no over night camping. Private RV parks in NM are limited to 25% occupancy for short term/over night stays. Gallup NM area is a hot spot and at this time has more restrictions than the rest of the state.
    Gallup is nearby the Navajo Nation If I'm not mistaken. I was doing a lot of looking and plotting, planning on being out there about now until things flared up.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast