Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slider Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slider Hitch

I’m trying to purchase a 2019 RAM with an 8’ box. But to get everything I want is becoming very difficult. So Im now considering the 6’ 4” box. I’m just learning about the slider hitch design.
    If anyone has an opinion about this type of design I’m all ears!
    Opinions on whether it’s a good idea to go this route, brand anything at all!
    I’ll be pulling a 2018 Reflection 13,995 lbs

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutJoe View Post
    I’m trying to purchase a 2019 RAM with an 8’ box. But to get everything I want is becoming very difficult. So Im now considering the 6’ 4” box. I’m just learning about the slider hitch design.
    I have the Pullrite 2900 ISR, works great, a little heavy but it stays in the truck permanently.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went back and forth and went with the reese goosebox. Just to add more confusion while you are looking for a set up!! Not many numbers out there on SB, but over 2k miles and no problem with the short bed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2017 F350 SRW CCSB
    2020 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go with a slider get a manual one
    check out my post at the end of this thread
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...e-bedrug/page2
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the Demco 18K Autoslide in an F350CCSB and loved it. It was built like a tank, did exactly what it was supposed to do. The jaws have a great locking system with a positive safety bar that comes across the face. No chucking or bucking. Their customer service was great as well. The biggest difference between the Demco and the Pullrite is that the Demco is height adjustable. Both are well built with little complaints against them. The downside of both autoslides is they are heavy - generally takes two people to get in or out - I got around that with a $175 folding cherry picker from Harbor Freight and could move it myself when needed (but generally just lived under my tonneau).
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    I had the Demco 18K Autoslide in an F350CCSB and loved it. It was built like a tank, did exactly what it was supposed to do. The jaws have a great locking system with a positive safety bar that comes across the face. No chucking or bucking. Their customer service was great as well. The biggest difference between the Demco and the Pullrite is that the Demco is height adjustable. Both are well built with little complaints against them. The downside of both autoslides is they are heavy - generally takes two people to get in or out - I got around that with a $175 folding cherry picker from Harbor Freight and could move it myself when needed (but generally just lived under my tonneau).
    I think the Demco may be a better choice. I don't believe it uses a special plate that attaches to the hitch box. That was the weak spot in the Pullrite.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at one of my previous posts related to a Sidewinder hitch box.

Tim

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...356#post292356

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Demco HitchHiker. I had a Pullrite before. This time I decided on the Demco; I like the jaws better and it had a Ford puck system which Pullrite did not have when I made a decision.

I looked around the site as I thought I had made a list of pluses and minuses for slider vs. manual, but I didn't find anything.

I really wanted a manual because of weight. But I chose an automatic slider again because I never wanted to get out of the truck to backup or when making a u-turn. I make those too often when I miss where I am suppose to turn. And I didn't want to get out of the truck to switch over to slider mode in the rain.

When I back up or make a u-turn I am always watching the RV to cab clearance anyway - just in case. I did have it adjusted wrong the first time I put it in and had it too close to the cab. A close inspection making a sloooow sever turn backing up (almost 90 degrees helped me figure that out without damage).

It IS heavy. But I have a hoist in the garage to help me get it out (which is seldom). I lower it onto a wheeled dolly I made and can move it out of my way if I do take it out. Mostly I would take it out when I am done camping for the season and need the full bed of the truck for something (not often).

There are alternatives - Sidewinders & Goosenecks. I'm not sure - do Goosenecks keep the RV away from the cab in very tight turns (80 degrees or more?)? If so, maybe I need to re-consider sliders.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also purchased a '19 2500 with 6.5 bed. I purchased an Andersen Ultimate first, but after reading some reviews on cracked king pins, chicken'd out on using it, so never even towed with it yet. I went with the BW Companion Slider on the recommendation of my friend. It's been excellent, though it's a u-know-what to get in an out of the truck bed. Super smooth when towing. Not keen on the way the slider latch mechanism works - it feels spongy when trying to engage. Having said that, it's super easy to hook up and release, and when slid back it adds about a foot to the clearance.
    CJ & Jo
    RIP: Rocky & Rya
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through this a few months ago when I bought my 2020 311 BHS. I have a F-350 short bed with factory pucks and ended up going with the Airborne sidewinder and a Curt A-16. Love the set up and it rides great. I can get up to 90 degree turns (though I only have had to do that once, but it gives me piece of mind). Also, if you plan to remove the hitch a lot, the Curt A-16 comes apart and can easily be lifted out by one person. After a lot of research, the payload factor and the ease of removal made this the best setup choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 311BHS / 16K Airborne Sidewinder
    TV: 2012 Ford F-350 King Ranch / Airlifter Ultimate 5000 air bags / 16K Curt Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast