User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info. Our current trip up I-70 resulted in a lot of swaying. The dealer installed by Equalizer, so I doubt it’s that, but I will look into the truck tires. Only other thing I can think of is loading the trailer deferent than before. Have a great 4th!
    2020 GD Imagine 2800BH
    Was pulled by 2016 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2l
    Now pulled by 2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travismd View Post
    Our current trip up I-70 resulted in a lot of swaying. The dealer installed by Equalizer, so I doubt it’s that,
    I wouldn't put a lot faith in that. When the dealer installed and adjusted your equalizer it was with an empty truck and trailer. Once loaded for camping the adjustment may no longer be optimal. You really should check the adjustment using the front fender measurements per the equalizer manual (truck and trailer loaded for camping) . Add washers if needed (you'll need a big torque wrench). Once that's correct adjust the "L" bracket to get the equalizer bars as close to parallel as possible to get the most anti sway.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    I wouldn't put a lot faith in that. When the dealer installed and adjusted your equalizer it was with an empty truck and trailer. Once loaded for camping the adjustment may no longer be optimal. You really should check the adjustment using the front fender measurements per the equalizer manual (truck and trailer loaded for camping) . Add washers if needed (you'll need a big torque wrench). Once that's correct adjust the "L" bracket to get the equalizer bars as close to parallel as possible to get the most anti sway.
    I agree! I had the dealer adjust mine shortly after delivery then I adjusted it a second time later in the year.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to camping in our new Imagine 2800BH

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    My Silverado does ok but a 2500 or 3500 would be a better choice for my situation. But I bought my 2018 Silverado and convinced my DW that it can tow our 2019 2800bh, on paper. So I have taken a few steps to improve my towing experience.

On my first long camping trip my truck was unmodified. I was completely satisfied on how the truck could pull and stop the camper (using tow/haul mode). The fuel mileage was not good, 6.5 to 11.5 mpg. Keep in mind that I keep my speed under 62 mph, as the speed rating on my Westlakes are 65 mph. I did notice that my truck was being pushed side to side when I was getting passed by semi trucks and other large vehicles. I also encountered some very high side winds on the interstate between Cheyenne and Denver that caused some severe white knuckling.

So I have replaced the passenger rated tires on my truck with some Michelin LT tires, this helped significantly with the side to side movement of the truck. I also installed some airbags on the rear of the truck, these helped minimize the bucking and it keeps the truck closer to level. Lastly I installed some factory tow mirrors, these made a huge impact on being able to see all around the camper.

I have used CAT scales to get my truck and camper weighed. Before I adjusted my weight distributing hitch the last time, I was overloaded on my trucks rear axle by 270 lbs. Keep in mind this was with the camper fully loaded, and full water tanks. My biggest limitation is that I am always right up to my trucks cargo capacity.
    I towed my 26 footer (5900lbs dry) with my 1/2 Silverado (9,600lbs) max towing with the 5.3L/3.42 gears and it towed ok. I was always over my Vehicle Capacity Weight but way under my GCWR. Think I was getting around 7-9MPG. I put a custom tune on the Silverado and when going up steep mountain passes I could only go 40-45mph max. Driving back from Eastern Oregon I almost ran out of fuel on the 3hr drive from before hitting the mountain passes (Multiple) to after getting down the other side. Since then, bought a new 2020 3500HD Diesel last year and now I can pass people in the fast lane going up mountain passes and sometimes don’t even know it’s behind me with my 2021 Imagine 2800BH. Loved the 1/2 ton a lot but towing between the 2 it’s way more relaxing with the 1-Ton.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12