User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dual cartridge water filter

I installed a dual cartridge water filter with 50 psi settings on my regulator. It seems that the outlet psi is lower than not using the filters. Is this normal when using inline cartridge water filters?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general yes, the filter medium will cause a pressure drop. The more filtering ability (lower micron)the more apt to drop pressure. Are they inline cartridges or parallel? Is the regulator before or after the filters? I'm thinking before from what you describe.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My regulator is at the hose bib. I’m just going to bypass filters and wait till I get home Sunday so I can check the psi at the outlet side of the filters. Thanks

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skijobe View Post
    My regulator is at the hose bib. I’m just going to bypass filters and wait till I get home Sunday so I can check the psi at the outlet side of the filters. Thanks
    When you do get home think about placing the regulator after the filters. Full line pressure won't hurt them and you won't see any significant drop when you open a faucet. Also if using the Camco inline filters they are notorious for water restriction. They work exceedingly well but that's the price you pay. I haven't yet gotten more than half a season out of one. I also now use an inline cartridge filter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81Y0oNj2GGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	26696
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do most put a Pressure regulator before or after the water filter

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FR8TFLYER View Post
    Do most put a Pressure regulator before or after the water filter
    Why is that?

I use both an in line like the Camco filter and duel filters also. Then I use a regulator after that. I do see a drop in pressure sometimes , but so far it has not bothered anything.
    I have always adjust by what the camp site offers each time as to the use of a regulator or not. Some of the older campgrounds have low water pressure to start with. Some of the newer ones will blow a line out if your not careful. To me it just all depends on what is offered at the time.

If we ever go full time or close to full time and upgrade to a 5th wheel I'll through in full blown osmosis system.
    Last edited by ScopesNC; 05-23-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    Jim T.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reinstalled my water valve regulator at the outlet side of the filter system. Turn water on and set regulator to 52 psi. Seems to be working a bit better. Once again thanks for your help.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I had a watery explosion under the kitchen sink (worst possible place), possibly caused by dealer using PVC rather than PEX, and the filter filling up with resultant back pressure; long story short I have it bypassed for now, but I'd like to look at possible replacements.

My dealer said to check out whole house filtration systems. Anybody have pros/cons of deploying these? I need 1 micron filtration, which I believe rules out most hose-bib inline filters. Seems to me that the longer it sits in the fresh tank the more chance I'll have of tiny organisms such as cryptosporidia creeping in, so I guess I'm looking at replacing the under-sink cartridge (sigh). I agree pressure drop will be expected in anything <5 microns, and I saw it regularly later in the life of the cartridge.

The O-rings are a point of failure I'd like to eliminate, maybe it was my amateur plumbing job, but the leakage out of the mounting bracket/cartridge is something I don't want. I had a professionally-installed whole-house filter in a backwoods cabin, and it worked at full pressure even though it was 1 micron. Also had a plastic container with a screw on lid that I think would be essential for RV applications.

So, anybody have advice or recommendation on brands/mounting hardware? My goal of course is zero leaks, can tolerate lower pressure (understandable with a <30 PSI 12v dry camping pump and 1u filter), just slow filling those ice cube trays right?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    In general yes, the filter medium will cause a pressure drop. The more filtering ability (lower micron)the more apt to drop pressure. Are they inline cartridges or parallel? Is the regulator before or after the filters? I'm thinking before from what you describe.
    Does it really drop the pressure or just restrict the flow rate?. My guess is the latter unless there is a regulator built into the filter system.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015