User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is RV type toilet paper really necessary?

Hi all, I'm sure this has been asked before but the search didnt really bring up anything.
    Is the special RV toilet paper really necessary? Or just household toilet will suffice?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Regular TP will work, but use plenty of water. I precharge my tank with 5 gallons of water an 1 cup Dawn dis soap. I have also added a Tied Pod now and then . The combo helps break things up and keep the pile from forming. Also helps keeps tank sensors clean. You don't need any of the other fancy chemicals.

Now having said that regular TP can cause clogging problems if you don't watch it. Whatever you do, don't put wipes in the tank. - even if they say flushable.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Hi all, I'm sure this has been asked before but the search didnt really bring up anything.
    Is the special RV toilet paper really necessary? Or just household toilet will suffice?
    Thanks

No you don't have to use RV toilet paper. Whatever you do get though check to make sure that it is septic safe. That way it will break down and not cause problems.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We switched to Angel Soft years ago and have had no problems with it. We do use a lot of water. I think that if you boondock a lot you might want to use the special TP since you would not want to use lots of water.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best video about this, ever:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-twQoVcZTaw

Also check out his videos about black tanks......

We've been using good ol Costco Kirkland for many years now. No issues.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Best video about this, ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-twQoVcZTaw

Also check out his videos about black tanks...... We've been using good ol Costco Kirkland for many years now. No issues.
    Fun video, and interesting that the worst performer - the one most likely to cause problems in an RV tank - was the RV-specific toilet paper sold by the company that makes the toilets found in most of our GD trailers.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks you all.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Fun video, and interesting that the worst performer - the one most likely to cause problems in an RV tank - was the RV-specific toilet paper sold by the company that makes the toilets found in most of our GD trailers.
    Charmin was the best, Northern was the worst.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that toilet paper isn't necessarily a "static" product. Companies can and do change the makeup of their paper due to material availability, cost, and other factors. That video was also from 2013? Products have certainly changed since then.

The recent craziness has made finding the right stuff a little more difficult.

We have found the most consistency with the Scott Rapid-Dissolving for RV's and Boats. There was a time when buying it by the case (48 rolls) on Amazon using their monthly scheduled delivery was the lowest-cost, but WalMart began selling 8-packs that brought the price even lower. I'd normally stop and buy six of the 8 packs once a month, and never had any issues finding it at WalMarts both near and far from RV parks. When I started hearing about things selling out on the east coast, there weren't any issues where we were. I bought enough for 3 just in case - and the store still had it on the shelf after I did that.

Over the last three months, I've seen it three times on the shelf at WalMart, and never in any real quantity. It's always gone within 24 hours. Amazon is out of stock, and 3rd party sellers have been as much as $40 for 8 rolls.

I have also seen Thetford come in a few times. I bought a couple of packages of it on trips where I saw it, just in case. I understand that it has changed since the video referenced in the thread.

I also picked up a package of the Scott 1000 stuff. It's better than the commercial single-ply stuff that you often see in businesses, but only slightly better. It is septic-safe, so it will work, but it's not what my family wants to use long-term.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    Charmin was the best, Northern was the worst.
    Sorry you were offended by my post, but as the reviewer himself says at the end of the video,

"The surprise I guess... is that the one specifically marketed for RV use [the product marketed by the big RV toilet manufacturer Thetford and sold by Camping World] is not actually coming up on top of this test."

So it was second-last, thank you for the important correction.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast