User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake pad choice.

I have a 2005 Ford F250 diesel. My brakes seem weak, having to push harder than I remember in the past. Stock pads are semi metallic and thinking maybe they got glazed. Plenty of life left on them but considering just putting new ones on anyway. Question is: would ceramic pads be a better option?
    Brian and Lori
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideblue51 View Post
    I have a 2005 Ford F250 diesel. My brakes seem weak, having to push harder than I remember in the past. Stock pads are semi metallic and thinking maybe they got glazed. Plenty of life left on them but considering just putting new ones on anyway. Question is: would ceramic pads be a better option?
    I wouldn’t do ceramic. They make less dust and shed heat faster, but produce less stopping power than metallic pads. This has been reflected in my experience with both. Many places do not recommend ceramic for heavy towing.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I wouldn’t do ceramic. They make less dust and shed heat faster, but produce less stopping power than metallic pads. This has been reflected in my experience with both. Many places do not recommend ceramic for heavy towing.
    This. Ceramics are not recommended for heavy use or towing.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you gentlemen.
    Brian and Lori
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought of bleeding/flushing the brake system especially if it has been an extended period since last done. If you decide to try yourself Harbor Freight has a hand vacuum pump kit that works decently.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Have you thought of bleeding/flushing the brake system especially if it has been an extended period since last done. If you decide to try yourself Harbor Freight has a hand vacuum pump kit that works decently.
    You are right about flushing the brake fluid. If you read your manual it is in the maintenance job section. Fluid after so much use and time does brake down. If you were to ever open the master cylinder cap on an old car that hasn't had this done you would know it. It will stink. There are different brake fluid's. You should read your manual to see what they recommend. Myself I like running the high temperature fluid.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideblue51 View Post
    I went with Hawk LTS performance pads. I haven't towed with them yet but they seem a lot better at braking than the Advance Auto Wagner pads I had.

Tim

hhttps://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...!&gclsrc=aw.ds