User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same thing and it worked great until it didn't work when I had a blowout heading east on I20. I didn't even know the tire was blown out until I stopped the rest stop on the Louisiana side heading east on I20. Most TPMS now come with the extender and now I always use the extender.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190607_115435218.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	27118

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up mounting the extender inside the front pass through, tucked in the corner beside the driver side hatch near/under the little bump out where the solar plug enters the trailer. Two screws mounted the extender to the carpeted front panel. Ran the wire out the upper side of the cargo tray (drilled a 5/16 hole put wires through, zip tie on outside, caulked hole on the inside (though I doubt it would get any water where it is located)).

I ended up tapping DC power on the hot side of the scissor jack switch. Downside it is powered all the time but I keep the trailer on a Microprocessor controlled battery charger when not traveling or plugged in, so it is not a big issue. I considered tapping into a trailer light, but I do not always travel with lights on.

The extender antenna has a little red light that lets you know its on and I tried out the TPMS yesterday. It all worked fine (measured temp and air pressure). I put a velcro mount on the steering column to place the monitor when towing. Between this and my new Goodyear Endurance, I am ready to tow/go!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Problem is you don’t know for sure if you are occasionally dropping signal.
    I am fairly sure that the system I use warns of loss of signal. Tire Minder. I had to wire my extender on our previous trailer ( it would beep warning of loss of contact) but havent needed it on the GD as its a fair bit smaller and shorter.

mike

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramafic View Post
    I am fairly sure that the system I use warns of loss of signal. Tire Minder. I had to wire my extender on our previous trailer ( it would beep warning of loss of contact) but havent needed it on the GD as its a fair bit smaller and shorter.

mike
    It very well might. I have no experience with that brand. Other brands can go an hour or more without indicating a connection loss to avoid nuisance notifications Connection monitoring has a downside of false alerts when near other devices on the same band or high power devices on any band.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It very well might. I have no experience with that brand. Other brands can go an hour or more without indicating a connection loss to avoid nuisance notifications Connection monitoring has a downside of false alerts when near other devices on the same band or high power devices on any band.
    Not knowing exactly all the parameters of the system, I do know the only time I have had issues with the tire minder has been when: one of the sensors went bad (notified right away), loss of signal and had to install the booster (also notified right away) and got a flat on one of the tires which it notified right away with loss of pressure. I have seen the last one twice now and both times has saved the tire from coming apart possibly doing damage.

I know the system monitors temp as well but cannot speak to that as I have not experienced a warning for temp yet.

I suspect an overtemp alarm is basically warning that your tire is at risk of overpressuring and exploding causing damage. I would also expect notifications of overpressure at the same time.

Mike

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramafic View Post
    Not knowing exactly all the parameters of the system, I do know the only time I have had issues with the tire minder has been when: one of the sensors went bad (notified right away), loss of signal and had to install the booster (also notified right away) and got a flat on one of the tires which it notified right away with loss of pressure. I have seen the last one twice now and both times has saved the tire from coming apart possibly doing damage.

I know the system monitors temp as well but cannot speak to that as I have not experienced a warning for temp yet.

I suspect an overtemp alarm is basically warning that your tire is at risk of overpressuring and exploding causing damage. I would also expect notifications of overpressure at the same time.

Mike
    I kind of expect the temperature function to give you heads up on a brake dragging or maybe even a wheel problem too.

Good way to see what your system does when signal is lost is to pull up close to the trailer and wait until the readings update, then drive away until you are well out of the system range. See how long it takes to alert you to a problem.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of expect the temperature function to give you heads up on a brake dragging or maybe even a wheel problem too.

Good way to see what your system does when signal is lost is to pull up close to the trailer and wait until the readings update, then drive away until you are well out of the system range. See how long it takes to alert you to a problem.
    Yes the temp could totally let you know of a bearing or brake issue for sure. As for the pull away and test the alerts I am fairly sure that the tire minder has a "disconnect" feature so it doesnt go off when it loses contact with all the aen5sors at the same time.

Prob not good for a catastrophic disconnect but I would guess there wouod be other indicators that might get your attention.

All in all I wont tow the RV without the monitor system be it whatever brand one was to choose.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We connected 12V power for the TPMS signal booster from the battery disconnect switch at the universal docking station in the front pass-through compartment:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...838#post213838
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ckreef,

I would like to do the same, but am unsure of how to connect the wiring, and how to access it from that front trailer marker light. Can you provide me with some specifics, please? Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12