Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Option - Microwave

So I FINALLY had the first shake down trip of our new rig (picked up right after Christmas).

Very pleased with almost everything.

Is it true that with the factory solar option it will NOT run the microwave? Don’t I remember this was stated as a feature on the GD video of their solar option (which now appears to be taken down)? Has anyone asked their dealer/GD to upgrade the inverter and/or wiring to make this possible?

Thanks
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2017 F350 Diesel CC SRW

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on shaky ground - don't have the solar option, it came out after we bought.

The solar option comes with a 2000-watt inverter, and that should be enough to power the microwave as long as little else is drawing AC power.

The limiting factor leading to the advice you've got/seen is likely battery capacity. The microwave will be asking the inverter to draw roughly 125 amps from your batteries - a huge draw - and to support that you'd need at least two good 12V batteries or a heavy-duty pair of 6V and heavy-duty wiring sufficient to carry that current. Do you have those?

Hopefully others with more experience will jump in with advice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our 2020 Momentum, the microwave is NOT powered through the inverter, but the propane refrigerator is.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. My dealer reached out to GD who said it should be working - I’m still not convinced as everything else seems to be working.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 344GK with the solar option and our microwave is also not working (but I also expected it should). Did Grand Design confirm it should work with the solar option?
    (Putting my warranty list of repairs together....)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kim_e83 View Post
    We have a 2021 344GK with the solar option and our microwave is also not working (but I also expected it should). Did Grand Design confirm it should work with the solar option?
    (Putting my warranty list of repairs together....)
    Yes. My dealer called and confirmed it should be working on the converter. I believed he was going to talk with the GD employee who did the Solar video (which is now down). From what I can tell, the rig is not wired to make this happen. But as Curtis noted, the refrigerator does work on the converter (for our style, we’d rather have the microwave vs refrigerator).

We are headed out boon-docking so I will simply take a short extension cord from the microwave outlet to another spot under the cabinet. I don’t want to do anything material until it goes in for its first dealer visit. I do expect the GD should make this work as they advertised.
    Last edited by Tall Paul; 05-30-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2017 F350 Diesel CC SRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    Yes. My dealer called and confirmed it should be working on the converter. I believed he was going to talk with the GD employee who did the Solar video (which is now down). From what I can tell, the rig is not wired to make this happen.

We are headed out boon-docking so I will simply take a short extension cord from the microwave outlet to another spot under the cabinet. I don’t want to do anything material until it goes in for its first dealer visit. I do expect the GD should make this work as they advertised.
    Agreed! I see you purchased the battle born batteries as well? Curious how well the solar set up serves you boondocking? We are also looking at these batteries for the future. Thanks!

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    ... it should be working on the converter.
    That would be "inverter." The converter/charger supplies 12 volts for lighting, charging the batteries, etc.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kim_e83 View Post
    Agreed! I see you purchased the battle born batteries as well? Curious how well the solar set up serves you boondocking? We are also looking at these batteries for the future. Thanks!
    I’m curious as well - looking forward to our first trip.

Except for cost, hard to find any bad words about battle born. BTW - ask if they have any factory seconds. I got mine for $125 / each off the list price (Black Friday sale) because of slight cosmetic blemishes (That we couldn’t see) but come with full warranty.
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2017 F350 Diesel CC SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    That would be "inverter." The converter/charger supplies 12 volts for lighting, charging the batteries, etc.

Rob
    Duh! I know better. Thanks for the correction. I’m going to blame it on the codeine from some teeth work but could well have misstated if I was in my “normal” state of mind.
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2017 F350 Diesel CC SRW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast