User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaking Level Up Hydraulic Jack

Just completed a "shakedown" trip and noticed my left-front hydraulic jack leaking. It's not a gusher, but leaking nonetheless slowly onto the top of the footpad.

I contacted Lippert hoping to order a seal kit, but discovered they don't make one for these jacks (6-bolt pattern, silver/aluminum body, with "R" stamped on top = Part No. 2571254 from Lippert). The Lippert Tech said they are not serviceable & require R&R (removal & replacement) with a new one at the "low" cost of $511.95 + shipping. They are currently on backorder and ordering requires a minimum 10-day lead time.

Unfortunately, I was informed that this part is no longer under warranty, so I would have to repair it under my extended warranty. After a few phone calls to various RV repair shops/dealers, I had no luck finding one in stock anywhere. I also could not find this part on Amazon or Ebay, or anywhere else online.

The jack still functions, so I am keeping a wary eye on it, but it bugs me to have this thus far unresolved. I know I can pursue repair under my extended warranty, however, under the current circumstances, this will result in a lengthy wait as I wade through the protocol.

Question: Has anyone discovered a "workaround" for this problem? Such as assuming some risk management & dismantling the jack and trying to repair it themselves? The jack itself has numerous nuts & bolts that seem to suggest it could be torn down somehow. Or am I simply forced to buy a new one and R&R the leaky one? Any other resources that I'm not aware of that carry this part?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting wiping off the oil contamination and slapping on some silicone. Just wondering if anyone has tried to dismantle one & tried to R&R the seals themselves, or is the unit truly unserviceable as informed by Lippert?

I appreciate any feedback. In the meantime, I will just keep an eye on it until I can get it fixed. Thanks! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this problem last fall on my 375 on that same jack. I was a month out of the 1 year warranty and GD covered it, took about 3 days to get it in back then. GD and my dealer said it's not serviceable, replace only. Good luck with yours. I would be leery of taking that one apart, the landing gear hold a lot of weight when in use!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gran Casita View Post
    Just completed a "shakedown" trip and noticed my left-front hydraulic jack leaking. It's not a gusher, but leaking nonetheless slowly onto the top of the footpad.
    This isn't worth much but it's all I got!

One of our jacks failed - spraying fluid out the top. GD shipped a replacement (under warranty) and paid for a tech to install it.

They didn't ask for the old one back so I guess they're not interested in rebuilding them. However a grizzled older guy in the campground who owned trucking and construction companies for forty years was amazed that I was going to throw it out. He said it could be repaired and happily took it. He still owes me a beer.

Now knowing that they cost over $500 I wish I'd kept it!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    This isn't worth much but it's all I got!

One of our jacks failed - spraying fluid out the top. GD shipped a replacement (under warranty) and paid for a tech to install it.

They didn't ask for the old one back so I guess they're not interested in rebuilding them. However a grizzled older guy in the campground who owned trucking and construction companies for forty years was amazed that I was going to throw it out. He said it could be repaired and happily took it. He still owes me a beer.

Now knowing that they cost over $500 I wish I'd kept it!
    Yeah, I know the feeling! That's why I'm asking. Usually if a manufacturer doesn't want anyone servicing their parts, they will either weld it or rivet it closed. This jack has all those nuts & bolts to disassemble it, I'm hoping someone out there in the RV world has already tried to dismantle it already and can tell me if this unit is in fact "repairable." Thanks for the feedback! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't miss this tip from the manual!

Another point I seemed to have initially overlooked after re-reading the manual (https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...0001573-08.pdf) on page 101, under Mechanical Components, it says the following:

"Although the system is designed to be almost maintenance-free, actuate the landing gear once or twice a week to keep the seals and internal moving parts lubricated."

This will probably not be a big deal for those who are constantly "on-the-move." On the other hand, if you're planning on storing your rigs for longer than a week, then it may behoove you (and now me) to exercise your landing gear regularly.

Safe travels! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We noted that two of ours on one side are leaking as well.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. We got a new 344GK last November and took it down to our spot in Florida for the winter. No leaks until we got home, and I started seeing fluid collecting in the landing pad (front - left). There was some "popping" noises that started after a couple of months down there, and I had to raise the front a couple of times. It's now in my RV parking spot at home, and it's lost about a quart after a few cycles when moving it. I'm waiting on a return call from the Service department to get that, and a few other minor problems resolved while it's still under factory warranty. I didn't know they won't service the jacks, but will have to be replaced. Good info!
    Mike & Marta
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD CC standard bed Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride 184 hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gran Casita View Post
    Another point I seemed to have initially overlooked after re-reading the manual (https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...0001573-08.pdf) on page 101, under Mechanical Components, it says the following:

"Although the system is designed to be almost maintenance-free, actuate the landing gear once or twice a week to keep the seals and internal moving parts lubricated."

This will probably not be a big deal for those who are constantly "on-the-move." On the other hand, if you're planning on storing your rigs for longer than a week, then it may behoove you (and now me) to exercise your landing gear regularly.
    Thanks to Covid-19 our trailer has been sitting on the driveway for over two months, never moved the jacks. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m&mjones View Post
    Same here. We got a new 344GK last November and took it down to our spot in Florida for the winter. No leaks until we got home, and I started seeing fluid collecting in the landing pad (front - left). There was some "popping" noises that started after a couple of months down there, and I had to raise the front a couple of times. It's now in my RV parking spot at home, and it's lost about a quart after a few cycles when moving it. I'm waiting on a return call from the Service department to get that, and a few other minor problems resolved while it's still under factory warranty. I didn't know they won't service the jacks, but will have to be replaced. Good info!
    @m&mjones, Lippert said my particular jack was not serviceable. You may have one that is possibly serviceable. They will ask for the bolt pattern (how many attachment holes on one side of the jack), type of body (aluminum, black, etc.), and if there is a letter stamped on the top of the jack. Compare your jack to the description I noted for mine in post #1 . You may get lucky if your jack turns out to be serviceable. Good luck! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Thanks to Covid-19 our trailer has been sitting on the driveway for over two months, never moved the jacks. Thanks for the heads-up.
    @boyscout, Absolutely! My coach was sitting for almost 3-months which may have led to my leak. At some point, whenever I resolve my leaky jack, I plan to crack open the old one & see if I can somehow find a solution & keep it as a spare. I will report back as this evolves. Stay safe! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast