Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to get 30amp from 2 - 15amp circuits

I own a 2019 Imagine MK2670 with twin A/C units. Having 2 air conditioners changed things up, having that big ‘ole 50amp cable hanging out of the side... Being very prepared in my life on the road for hookin’ up, I have an array of pigtails, converting the Rig’s connector (or end of the 50amp cable) down to 30amp, then adapting to 15 if necessary to keep minimal lights on end the batteries warm. I also have one of those unique “y” adapters with 50amp on one end, then splits off to have both 30amp and 15amp connectors.

Here’s the question. I’ve stayed at friend’s homes and have attempted to string 2 - 12 gauge, 50’ extension cords to my rig, plugging them into this unique “y” adapter with the vision of combining 2 - 15amp circuits into 1 - 30amp, thus allowing one of the two A/C units to fire up. I know I can’t run both a/c units simultaneous unless I’m connected and receiving 50amps of 115 volt power. What happens is I end up with 15 amps down each of the 2 legs of the 50amp / 115volt line. So, half of the rig runs on one 15amp, the other half on the other 15amp. But, when turning on the central A/C unit, it doesn’t respond. I’m assuming the power converter located in the master bedroom is sensing missing 30amp “combined” available power, so it’s not engaging. I have hooked up to a 30amp before using my adapters and the main a/c unit does turn on.

Does anyone know how to combine 2 - 115volt circuits as described above into a 30amp that will power my rig, allowing 1 a/c unit to operate?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to start and run one AC on a single 15A circuit.

Your problem may be inadequate extension cords. It takes almost 30A to start a 15K AC, but for the very short time a 15A circuit can provide it. If your extension cord is too small, the voltage will drop badly and prevent the AC from starting.

Be very careful combining circuits. If they come from different sources you could easily end up shorting the 240V service that is split to create the 120V unless you check to see that they come from the same side of the box.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing Lanes has a Youtube video on how to get two 15amps circuits to one 50 amp plug. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ZucqclD80 It's all pretty good information, but what you need starts around 15:45 in.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As noted, one 15 amp will generally run an AC, if it is the only thing on the circuit (in the RV and in the house!). Power converters have no idea how many amps they are hooked up to. The only way a system knows there is not enough is a) the device won't start or (much more likely) b) a circuit breaker trips.
    If using an extension cord, use the heaviest, shortest one you can find. If too long or too light, you can get voltage drop in the cord, so the AC may not be getting enough volts to run. Light/long cords with heavy loads can also get very hot, and yet the circuit breaker doesn't trip because it is a long ways from the local heat. Your cord becomes the weak link, instead of the circuit breaker. Recipe for a fire.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    Changing Lanes has a Youtube video on how to get two 15amps circuits to one 50 amp plug. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ZucqclD80 It's all pretty good information, but what you need starts around 15:45 in.
    Nice. That was exactly what I needed. I have been trying to do the same concept with the wrong y-adapter. 50amp split to 2 - 30amp, then both down to 15amp going to separate breakers. So appreciate your input. Thanks!