User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 volt goes dead when pulling a few amps

I have over 300ah of 12 volt storage but I can't draw more than 5 amps with out the accessories shutting down.

The wiring and connections look good. I think I'm down to a failing component. Every thing works normal when plugged in to 120v so my problem is specifically with the 12 volt system. Any suggestions?

2016 Solitude

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by accessories? We need more information but first guess is one of the resettable circuit breakers off the battery.
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess would be a defective battery. If 12V things work when plugged into shorepower, the converter is working. Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and watch what happens when you turn on 12V loads (with shorepower unplugged). Voltage should drop only slightly if batteries are in good shape.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Battery or a bad connection are the most likely causes. A bad connection will probably cause voltage drop only when loaded so it fools a lot of people. A meter will show perfect voltages, but turn something on and it goes to heck. An easy way to check is to use a meter to measure the voltage from the positive battery terminal (the battery terminal itself, not the cable end) to the positive input of the load center. The reading should be very near zero when no power is being drawn, but will rise as you begin using power. Repeat on the negative side of the circuit. More than a few tenths drop would be cause for concern
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I experienced these same symptoms this last spring. Turns out I had hit the battery disconnect switch in the basement with a Zero Gravity chair. The converter can't handle the amps the battery can. I turned the battery disconnect switch back on and everything was hunky-dory.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In rough order of priority (assuming the battery has been given an adequate amount of time to be recharged by the converter AND as Second Chance noted, your switch is on!):

Battery is bad. Close to 98% of the time this is the issue.
    Loose or corroded terminals and/or wire connections.
    Converter is not recharging battery.

Get a voltmeter. See what the battery voltage is fresh off the charger. Then again after a couple of hours of non-use. Then again during and after your "5 amps of accessories". Let us know the results, what kind of battery, what accessories, and how long they were run.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the problem. It looks like a standard Power Distribution Block. I kind of by-passed it and every thing is functioning normal at the moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fullsizeoutput_4a3.jpg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picture of the "Rig" for attention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5871.jpg