User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Step replacement storage Box

I changed out our fold down steps for Lippert Solidstep and it does make a huge difference . I took out the old fold down steps and it left a big gap. Instead of spending money to fill in the gap with a box, I made one. It came out looking good and holds more than I thought it would. I'm very happy with the results of this mod.
    Last edited by ScopesNC; 05-24-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo
    Jim T.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that looks good. I was thinking of doing the same thing to hold wheel chocks. What did you make that out of?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    that looks good. I was thinking of doing the same thing to hold wheel chocks. What did you make that out of?
    I made it out of OAK wood. Painted up with 3 coats of black flat out door paint and the front side has a shield of 1/4 inch foam rubber to help keep water off from rain when going down the road. Didn't need that I guess . but did it anyway. Used steel brackets to brace it all and wood screws also. I used the same bolts that came with the fold down steps to mount it in the same holes that the steps were in.. Had to make a bracket to support around the wood for that . It's not going to fall apart for sure. Will have to keep it painted . A coat every other year or so should do just fine, keeping an eye on it. Not like I'm putting anything of great weight in it anyway. I'm sure someone can do better if they want
    I did spend some money I guess , but not near what it would have cost to buy one made to do this. Call it the cheap mans version I guess. It did come out looking good though. Better than I had hoped. Heading to Wyoming next week for a long while. See how it holds up on that run. NC to Wyoming should be a good test eh?
    Jim T.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oak is a good strong wood. That box will last a long time. I see no reason to spend $100+ dollars when what you did will work just fine. Perfect for holding what you have in it. Probably 100X stronger than it needs to be. If you keep it painted, that Oak will last a long, long time. Thanks for letting me know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed my solid steps last night, will look to pull the old steps off and will design my version of this box. I checked last night and I have step lights that will need to be rewired to pull forward because the box will interfere with it. I think I enjoy working on my RV almost as much as using it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    I think I enjoy working on my RV almost as much as using it.
    Yes I like doing work on ours as well. The Solid steps are great. We really like that big wide first step/ Almost like a porch. LOL

Can't wait to see your finished box. I bet it will be great.
    Jim T.