User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 150 series payload/weight distribution question

New to fifth wheeling and looking at a purchase of a Reflection 150 295RL. I was curious if anyone has determined how much of the weight they added to the trailer was transferred to the pin weight? Example: if 1000 lbs of additional gear was loaded onto the trailer what percentage of that actually added to the pin weight? It seems there is a lot of weight up front with this 5th wheel (propane, battery, storage, clothes, etc.) I am trying to anticipate if the payload of my vehicle will be acceptable and am getting different information from different sources.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this tool out

https://www.engineersedge.com/calcul...ht-balance.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 150 rig all that front stuff is balanced by a lots of food and kitchen gear. My cast iron set sits in back too! All told it's only added about 200 pounds.

The only real way to know is to load up and get it weighed. And it can change every day! (water is heavy stuff)
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A general rule of thumb on a standard fifth wheel (not toy haulers or front living rooms) is between 20 and 25% of the loaded weight will go on the pin. On both our fifth wheels, 23% has turned out to be pretty accurate. So, with a GVWR of 10,195 lbs., if you load your 295RL to capacity, it will put approximately 2,340 lbs. on the pin. They may engineer the 150 series a but differently, so the axles may be a bit farther forward and the pin weight a bit less - but figure on at least 20% of what you load going to pin weight.

BTW, what vehicle do you have?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNevs View Post
    Try this tool out

https://www.engineersedge.com/calcul...ht-balance.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for everyone who replied. All good feedback. I will review the engineersedge calculator---looks interesting.
    I am looking at a RAM 2500 Diesel 2WD. It has a payload of 2683. Based upon the 20-25% rule it may be close---Looks like I need to limit what's added and/or keep lighter weight stuff up front.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VWendling6100 View Post
    Thanks for everyone who replied. All good feedback. I will review the engineersedge calculator---looks interesting.
    I am looking at a RAM 2500 Diesel 2WD. It has a payload of 2683. Based upon the 20-25% rule it may be close---Looks like I need to limit what's added and/or keep lighter weight stuff up front.
    You can gain 700 lbs. or more payload by considering the same truck with one of the big-block gas V8s instead of a diesel.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from 1100 empty to a around 1500 loaded. That is close to 18% for us. We have a 220RK. The rear kitchen has helped keep the weight off the front half. All the food and cooking gear is behind the axles. I think the layout of your rig dictates a lot of your ending percentage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VWendling6100 View Post

Consider a gaser over the diesel. That will give you more capacity in the Ram 2500. Actually, when I did my research, the Ram gaser at the most payload capacity. The RAM only fell out of contention for us because the front middle seat did not have a shoulder strap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    Consider a gaser over the diesel. That will give you more capacity in the Ram 2500. Actually, when I did my research, the Ram gaser at the most payload capacity. The RAM only fell out of contention for us because the front middle seat did not have a shoulder strap.
    What was the RAM 2500 gasser payload?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRizRV View Post
    What was the RAM 2500 gasser payload?
    I thought it was like 4100 lbs or something like that for the tradesmen. https://www.ramtrucks.com/2020/ram-2500/capability.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast