User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare

Setting Up Camp
    FL but 5 months here and 5 months there !
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nightmare

My 2019 367BHS was just trashed by a family that was renting it for the last 5 months. Long Story short what they did to the inside of our RV was total and awful in every way.
    From cat urine everywhere to scratches from same, to scratched cabinetry, etc. My nearly new rig is a nightmarish mess.

Legal issues aside, (and I will look into this), I need to start the process of documenting costs associated with replacement parts and now that we have the inside stripped of all carpet and couches/mattresses we are considering doing something unique to the rig as it relates to furniture etc.

I would appreciated any contacts anyone has for replacement parts, (I am calling my dealer soon), but if there are online sources, I would greatly appreciate the links.
    I would also love to hear ideas about mods done to valences, shades, couches, carpets, cabinets, pretty much everytrhing since I ahve to repair/replace/refinish pretty much everything.

The idea that humans can actually do this is the real sad part and the shocker.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH, forgot to say, we have mitgated the urine or at least started to, by throwing out all furniture and carpeting.
    We also need to clean AC ducting and filters/shrouds from nicotine/smoke
    same for the super fans etc.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Renters can act like animals regardless of the structure being rented. Sorry you went through this. Something else to consider, any wood may have absorbed urine and need to be sealed and/or replaced. Your best course of action is likely to sue them for the cost of a replacement. Do you have any sort of a rental contract that would be enforceable against them?
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Renters can act like animals regardless of the structure being rented. Sorry you went through this. Something else to consider, any wood may have absorbed urine and need to be sealed and/or replaced. Your best course of action is likely to sue them for the cost of a replacement. Do you have any sort of a rental contract that would be enforceable against them?
    yes I have a rental agreeemnt AND in it is the rent to purchase agreement, so in effect I have an enforceable docuemnt to recover a stated value.....but in the interim, here we are....not sure how long the legal process will take.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there done that....Your best course now is to issue a notice to retain any deposits or collected money due to damages in accordance with your local laws, just as a CYA measure. I doubt you'll hear much from them again maybe for some squawking, resist the urge to reply. At least you have them out of the trailer which can be it's own problem. Document all repairs / replacements and use them as a tax write off to the extent you can, they are the costs of doing business. Unless you are sure they have assets worth going after you are fighting an uphill battle. Fix what you can and move on. If you plan to be a rental property owner you need to be really thick skinned.
    If you can find it, Hillyard the commercial cleaning supply company, has an effective enzyme that works with pet urine but cats are especially tough. https://www.hillyard.com/Pages/default.aspx
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-25-2020 at 08:26 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For furniture, here are a few ideas:

1) In both our previous and current rig, we removed the sleeper sofa and put my Ekornes Stressless recliners (Scandinavian) in its place - MUCH better on my back!

2) If you don't want to go back with the Lippert Thomas Payne furniture, Recpro ( https://www.recpro.com/ ) carries a lot of furniture - much of it modular so you can make things work in whatever space you have. You may also be able to find some of your other parts there, too.

3) If money is not an issue and comfort and quality are at the top of your list, Lambright RV furniture is about the best you can get. It's made in Amish country (largely by Amish labor) and there several outlets for it around the country. Of course, you can always go to Shipshewana, Indiana, and find the source.

Rob

PS: There's a Facebook group for Grand Design owners who are selling stuff: Grand Design RV Owners - Items For Sale. It's a private group that you request to join.
    Last edited by Second Chance; 05-25-2020 at 07:35 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stein View Post
    My 2019 367BHS was just trashed by a family that was renting it for the last 5 months. Long Story short what they did to the inside of our RV was total and awful in every way.
    From cat urine everywhere to scratches from same, to scratched cabinetry, etc. My nearly new rig is a nightmarish mess.

Legal issues aside, (and I will look into this), I need to start the process of documenting costs associated with replacement parts and now that we have the inside stripped of all carpet and couches/mattresses we are considering doing something unique to the rig as it relates to furniture etc.

I would appreciated any contacts anyone has for replacement parts, (I am calling my dealer soon), but if there are online sources, I would greatly appreciate the links.
    I would also love to hear ideas about mods done to valences, shades, couches, carpets, cabinets, pretty much everytrhing since I ahve to repair/replace/refinish pretty much everything.

The idea that humans can actually do this is the real sad part and the shocker.
    I am a Real Estate Broker in NC. My family has been in real estate since I was a little kid, I am now 77. From experience I can tell you if you try to sue the lawyers will make out fine you will probably get nothing or very little. Of course my experience is with residential, where judges and mediators usually side with tenants.
    When you rent something, you have to think of it as a tool. Lets say you own a auto shop and supply tools to your employees, they use them, drop them throw them around, use your brand new torque for a hammer. Tools break wear out and disappear, its part of the game. That's why the Snap-On guy is there every week.
    If you didn't make enough money on the rental to do the cleanup and still have a profit perhaps the RV Renal business is not for you. Just chalk it up to experience and move on.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Been there done that....Your best course now is to issue a notice to retain any deposits or collected money due to damages in accordance with your local laws, just as a CYA measure. I doubt you'll hear much from them again maybe for some squawking, resist the urge to reply. At least you have them out of the trailer which can be it's own problem. Document all repairs / replacements and use them as a tax write off to the extent you can, they are the costs of doing business. Unless you are sure they have assets worth going after you are fighting an uphill battle. Fix what you can and move on. If you plan to be a rental property owner you need to be really thick skinned.
    If you can find it, Hillyard the commercial cleaning supply company, has an effective enzyme that works with pet urine but cats are especially tough. https://www.hillyard.com/Pages/default.aspx
    I guess I replied without reading to the bottom post.
    +1 for Wicked ace
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    I am a Real Estate Broker in NC. My family has been in real estate since I was a little kid, I am now 77. From experience I can tell you if you try to sue the lawyers will make out fine you will probably get nothing or very little. Of course my experience is with residential, where judges and mediators usually side with tenants.
    When you rent something, you have to think of it as a tool. Lets say you own a auto shop and supply tools to your employees, they use them, drop them throw them around, use your brand new torque for a hammer. Tools break wear out and disappear, its part of the game. That's why the Snap-On guy is there every week.
    If you didn't make enough money on the rental to do the cleanup and still have a profit perhaps the RV Renal business is not for you. Just chalk it up to experience and move on.
    Please understand that I was not renting this out traditionally, certainly not for a profit. I had a rig which I offered to a survivor of Hurrican Florence in NC....their info all checked out, so we penned a simple rent to buy agreement to be satisfied within 5 months. The rent was my bank note amount plus insurance, nothing big or cumbersome. So I did not do this with a bunch of cash lying around to restore it, I did not do it for proft, we truly saw the need and had an asset to put toward it, (though with debt), and got screwed. Simple as that.

But also understand I was not posting this to solicit advice on the rental though I appreciated any feedback. I was trying to get a clue as to restoration ideas, unique solutions and original costs. Thanks to all.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Followup, our rig has found a nice new home with a nice guy who has become a good friend. I am thankful. We have put a LOT of sweat into getting it in good working shape, but the furniture is a total loss as was the carpeting. There are number of small items I am looking for, refrigerator trays, door compartment holders, and some trim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast