User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cargo capacity advice

We are shopping for a Grand Design Fifth Wheel for full timing. I’m interested in the 310GK but am concerned that the cargo capacity my not be adequate. Is anyone full timing in this model and has it been an issue?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple of facts regarding almost all RVs, the GVWR is a maximum for safe towing, the specified weights including the hitch/pin weight and CCC are never what you think they should be.
    If you have a tow vehicle, the only way to find the true CCC would be to have full propane and battery load, maybe 1/3 of fresh tank full (water system pressurized to fill hot water tank) and at least a few gallons sloshing around in the black and grey tanks and get the dealer to let you hook up and weigh it. This will provide you with what you can safely add to the rig. In my area, there is only one dealer who will let you do this.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is now the option to add 8,000 lb axles. If I were thinking of full timing in a 310 (or any other regular Solitude) the axle upgrade is tops on the list.
    CCC has always been one of GDs biggest weaknesses.

Adding larger tires will buy a small bit of capacity but the sticker will never be changed to reflect the difference.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Bair View Post
    Is anyone full timing in this model and has it been an issue?
    We started full timing in our 310GK-R yesterday and we are under our GVWR - and that is with the MORryde IS suspension we had installed. That system alone adds around 400lbs to the total weight of the trailer. As long as you don't bring everything from your house with you on the road, you should be fine. When loading the RV, ask yourself if you really need the items you're bringing with you. Is there a lighter alternative? Do you need a 16 piece dinner ware set? Do you need 20 pairs of shoes and six coats, etc? I've seen people with their entire basement full of tools. You can't load 1,000lbs of tools in your RV and expect to stay under your GVWR rating.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you search the forum, you will find a number of us full-timing in the 310GK. It's a popular model because it offers the amenities of the Solitude line but is still small enough (it's about a foot shorter than our Reflection 337 was) to get into most parks and campgrounds. Like @bertschb, we had the MORryde independent suspension and disc brakes installed which added about 400 lbs. to the empty weight of the trailer - and as a result, reduced the CCC by the same amount... technically. Fully loaded with a full tank of fresh water, we are about 700 lbs. over the GVWR on the sticker. 400 lbs. of that is the added unsprung weight of the MORryde suspension system, so that weight is not on the frame. On the day I weighed, about 800 lbs. of that was water. We are well under the ratings on the suspension system, the tires, the pin box, etc., so I'm not worried about it. My advice is to find the floorplan that you can live with/in long-term and pack to make it work for you.

Now... there are many folks towing the 310 with single rear wheel (SRW) 1-ton trucks. Our 310 puts 3,280 lbs. on the pin. I like the reassurance of having an extra wheel and tire on each side of the truck's rear axle in case something unexpected happens (and I still have 1,880 lbs. rear axle capacity left over on the truck when the trailer is hitched up). I am an advocate of dual rear wheel trucks pulling anything over 14,000 lbs. or putting more than 3,000 lbs. on the pin.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you search the forum, you will find a number of us full-timing in the 310GK. It's a popular model because it offers the amenities of the Solitude line but is still small enough (it's about a foot shorter than our Reflection 337 was) to get into most parks and campgrounds. Like @bertschb, we had the MORryde independent suspension and disc brakes installed which added about 400 lbs. to the empty weight of the trailer - and as a result, reduced the CCC by the same amount... technically. Fully loaded with a full tank of fresh water, we are about 700 lbs. over the GVWR on the sticker. 400 lbs. of that is the added unsprung weight of the MORryde suspension system, so that weight is not on the frame. On the day I weighed, about 800 lbs. of that was water. We are well under the ratings on the suspension system, the tires, the pin box, etc., so I'm not worried about it. My advice is to find the floorplan that you can live with/in long-term and pack to make it work for you.

Now... there are many folks towing the 310 with single rear wheel (SRW) 1-ton trucks. Our 310 puts 3,280 lbs. on the pin. I like the reassurance of having an extra wheel and tire on each side of the truck's rear axle in case something unexpected happens (and I still have 1,880 lbs. rear axle capacity left over on the truck when the trailer is hitched up). I am an advocate of dual rear wheel trucks pulling anything over 14,000 lbs. or putting more than 3,000 lbs. on the pin.

Rob
    I couldn't agree more with the above bolded statement! Way too many people using SRW trucks when a Dually is the proper truck for their trailer.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, go with a dually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they are cutting corners and just using lower rated items, like axle and trailer frame, tires etc .

I am looking to upgrade my 2 year old tt because we have maxed the carrying capacity of it. And from experience, if you ride at the limit, the tires will wear prematurly.

I would get the most capacity you can afford and is matched to the trailer you want, as more heavy duty items are used.