User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Long Ride

Electrical System Set-Ups

Will anyone share information about the electrical system provided in the Reflections and what set-ups they are using to maintain battery banks? Are there any solar users out there, truck alternator sizing and set-ups, etc. We're thinking of some boondocking mixed in with the campground stays.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We are using two 6-volt AGM batteries and have two 100 Watt panels that we've attached to 50 foot cables. That way I can move the panels throughout the day to stay in the sun if needed. I also have a 3000 Watt Honda generator in case we need to run the AC, etc. So far, I've rarely used the generator. The solar bank provides all the power we need to keep the batteries charged.

Long Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    We are using two 6-volt AGM batteries and have two 100 Watt panels that we've attached to 50 foot cables. That way I can move the panels throughout the day to stay in the sun if needed. I also have a 3000 Watt Honda generator in case we need to run the AC, etc. So far, I've rarely used the generator. The solar bank provides all the power we need to keep the batteries charged.
    Are you charging the house batteries with the truck alternator while driving?

bc1iron
    We have 3 x 150watt roof mounted panels, a blue sky 50 amp controller, a 1750 watt inverter. Since I have a feed direct from the inverter to the coach breaker box, I made my own transfer switch that disables the on board converter (bat charger) when the unit 110v is sourced from the inverter. It makes no sense to power the onboard battery charger by way of an inverter that is pulling power from the batteries that are being charged.....never ending inefficient loop.
    I run 6, 6volt batteries that are in the very front compartment, I ordered a marine grade battery box that is vented thru the factory bat vent grill. I have a remote inverter switch located inside the unit.

Works excellent, push one button that activates the inverter, all interior 110 plugs and fixtures are useable. Microware can be run for short periods of time with no issues, not enough power to run A/C. We had this set up in our previous trailer. Over the course of 5 years I have only had to run may generator 3 times due in order to charge batteries. We dry camp approx. 40 nights per season. Watch Sat TV, use the coffee maker etc as per usual. We have camped for as long as two weeks without shore power with no issues. I carry a Honda 1000 watt gen, if I get in a pinch, I have a stand alone battery charger I run off the generator and hook directly to the battery bank.

Luv it, simple to use, with the exception of regular battery service, no maintenance required.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Randy,

You have described almost exactly the setup I have on my boat !
    On my Reflection 303 and "small truck", I just can't carry 6 golf cart batteries in the front compartment !!
    If Grand Design wanted to really get "ahead of the game" for dry camping, they would/could provide space for a large battery bank aft of the trailer axles.
    Then I could carry lots of batteries . . . and reduce my pin weight .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Ride View Post
    Are you charging the house batteries with the truck alternator while driving?
    Yes, I'm charging while driving.

Long Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Yes, I'm charging while driving.
    You seem to have perfected this set-up. I wonder if you would mind sharing a wiring diagram by posting it on the Forum? It would really help those of us that want the boondocking capabilities with out the learning curve.

Long Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bc1iron View Post
    We have 3 x 150watt roof mounted panels, a blue sky 50 amp controller, a 1750 watt inverter. Since I have a feed direct from the inverter to the coach breaker box, I made my own transfer switch that disables the on board converter (bat charger) when the unit 110v is sourced from the inverter. It makes no sense to power the onboard battery charger by way of an inverter that is pulling power from the batteries that are being charged.....never ending inefficient loop.
    I run 6, 6volt batteries that are in the very front compartment, I ordered a marine grade battery box that is vented thru the factory bat vent grill. I have a remote inverter switch located inside the unit.

Works excellent, push one button that activates the inverter, all interior 110 plugs and fixtures are useable. Microware can be run for short periods of time with no issues, not enough power to run A/C. We had this set up in our previous trailer. Over the course of 5 years I have only had to run may generator 3 times due in order to charge batteries. We dry camp approx. 40 nights per season. Watch Sat TV, use the coffee maker etc as per usual. We have camped for as long as two weeks without shore power with no issues. I carry a Honda 1000 watt gen, if I get in a pinch, I have a stand alone battery charger I run off the generator and hook directly to the battery bank.

Luv it, simple to use, with the exception of regular battery service, no maintenance required.
    bc1iron - you too seem to have perfected this set-up. Would you mind posting a diagram on the Forum? Many thanks.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Ride View Post
    You seem to have perfected this set-up. I wonder if you would mind sharing a wiring diagram by posting it on the Forum? It would really help those of us that want the boondocking capabilities with out the learning curve.
    I wouldn't mind at all. But I'll need to post some pictures to show How I installed the solar set up. Currently, my 337 is back at the factory in Indiana for some repairs. As soon as I get it back, I'll post my set up.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to it Jim. Even though we're looking at a different line (Momentum) the theory still applies. When we're out in the Dunes for a few days at a time, the solar will be very handy.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast