User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GC2 Battery box for travel trailer?

I was able to pick up a couple of new, never used Crown 6v golf cart batteries from a friend that decided to go Lithium instead. Ordered a Camco dual battery box for the GC2s. Went to install this afternoon. I didn’t even think to measure, so of course, The new box at 7 5/8” is about 1/4” too wide to fit between the existing angle iron brackets. I searched online, but can’t find either a single or dual box that is narrow enough that can still accommodate the height of the GC2. The original G24 box is the perfect width, but height is too low for the 6v.

I really don’t want to cut/modify the existing brackets. I thought about adding a metal tray on top of brackets or a board between but then I have a clearance issue with the front cap and can’t get the battery box cover off easily for battery maintenance checks. Anyone know of a battery box that will accommodate a GC2 and the 7 3/8” bracket width on the tongue?

Alternatively, we could just upgrade to the Solitude.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I called etrailer, NOCO (manufactures battery boxes) and DB Electric (distributor or manufacturer?). No options available. The Camco box I ordered has listed width at 7.4". The bracket width is 7.375" I tried to shave off the .025" on the battery box with a sanding drum on a Dremel. No go. The plastic is too thin (less than a 1/16" thick).

Is it possible the brackets were only designed to accommodate a G24 battery box? I have a G27 box that is too wide for it, too. Just seems weird. I can't be the only one that has undertaken this conversion on a 312.

There is not enough space in the pass thru for the batteries unless I go behind the Nautilus panel, and install a vent tube. And then access for battery maintenance is really limited. I know, should have gone LiFePO4.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I do the metal plate thing on top of the existing angle brackets. You could buy some corner braces and drill the vertical part of the angles and the new plate and bolt it down pretty securely.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem with our 315RLTS. I ended up cutting a notch out of the back of the battery box. And to the last post, no you can't add a plate to the top of the brackets. The 6volt batteries are a tight fit even sitting down in the angles.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally had the time to complete the conversion to two 6v batteries. Since I could not find a double box that would fit between the brackets and/or clear the bottom of the cap, I ended up ordering another Group 24/GC2 battery box that was the same as the original - a Powerhouse Battery Box. I used a Dremel to remove a handle from one side of each box and placed the boxes with removed handles end to end on the brackets. I then used the lid from the Camco double GC2 battery box (with the base that was barely too wide for my brackets but not wide enough to cut a notch along the base for the bracket). Using two separate lids for the single battery boxes made connecting the two 6v in series difficult. Additionally, it was a challenge to connect the leads for my TPMS repeater and the Furrion solar charge wires. Of course, once I got everything in place, the existing battery cables were about 2-3" too short. I replaced the original 6awg cables with 2awg marine grade cables custom made and delivered in 2 days from Battery Cables USA. During replacement, I found the ring terminal on the battery terminal end of the negative cable was broken, and the positive cable nut was so loose, it only tooka turn or two by hand, and it was off. With the exception of trying to devise a solution, I probably spent more time trying to get those two dang battery straps tight than on the rest of the project. Those things are so frustrating I ordered two snap buckle straps. I'll probably cut the old ones off once the new ones arrive! Victron battery monitor ordered, too. Pics attached. Note the tight(!) clearance in the pic with lid installed. I can still see the water level, but will need a syringe to fill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batt box handle.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	27120 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batt box no handle.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	27121

Name:	batt connections.jpg 
Views:	32 
ID:	27122 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batt box complete.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	27125

Oh, one other note. Be sure to perform any under-carriage work BEFORE applying Mouse Free spray.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    I finally had the time to complete the conversion to two 6v batteries. Since I could not find a double box that would fit between the brackets and/or clear the bottom of the cap, I ended up ordering another Group 24/GC2 battery box that was the same as the original - a Powerhouse Battery Box. I used a Dremel to remove a handle from one side of each box and placed the boxes with removed handles end to end on the brackets. I then used the lid from the Camco double GC2 battery box (with the base that was barely too wide for my brackets but not wide enough to cut a notch along the base for the bracket). Using two separate lids for the single battery boxes made connecting the two 6v in series difficult. Additionally, it was a challenge to connect the leads for my TPMS repeater and the Furrion solar charge wires. Of course, once I got everything in place, the existing battery cables were about 2-3" too short. I replaced the original 6awg cables with 2awg marine grade cables custom made and delivered in 2 days from Battery Cables USA. During replacement, I found the ring terminal on the battery terminal end of the negative cable was broken, and the positive cable nut was so loose, it only tooka turn or two by hand, and it was off. With the exception of trying to devise a solution, I probably spent more time trying to get those two dang battery straps tight than on the rest of the project. Those things are so frustrating I ordered two snap buckle straps. I'll probably cut the old ones off once the new ones arrive! Victron battery monitor ordered, too. Pics attached. Note the tight(!) clearance in the pic with lid installed. I can still see the water level, but will need a syringe to fill.

Name:	batt box handle.jpg 
ID:	27120 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batt box no handle.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	27121

Name:	batt connections.jpg 
Views:	32 
ID:	27122 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batt box complete.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	27125

Oh, one other note. Be sure to perform any under-carriage work BEFORE applying Mouse Free spray.
    Great information Fsalmy! I'm in the middle of the exact same project on the same TT (312BHTS). The camco dual battery box is on back order so I'm looking around and trying to figure out a solution for the lid.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe my rails are a tad wider, but I was able to force fit dual GC2 battery boxes in the stock location.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    Maybe my rails are a tad wider, but I was able to force fit dual GC2 battery boxes in the stock location.
    I’m sure the tolerances for those brackets are “wide”, bad pun intended. I only needed an 1/8” in additional width to get the Camco dual box in place, but no matter what I tried, it was a no go. I even heated the base with a heat gun thinking I could make it flexible enough to wedge in there. If I had gotten it in place, not sure I had enough clearance to get the batteries in. Anyway, glad to hear it worked on yours.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pics with battery watering system installed. Sure makes it easier. And the snap buckle straps take 1 second to remove/install versus fumbling with the cinch buckles for what seemed like a half hour. Maybe it’s just my fat fingers.

Name:	4205F284-8491-43EA-A5E5-2CE407B40FFA.jpg 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	28174

Name:	CC1F0D21-9FC2-4528-B5BB-D8987847BACB.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	28175
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    Thanks for reply jmbopp - Would you mind sharing which box you purchased?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast