User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

electrical shock .

Hello everyone, We just purchased a 2017 Imagine and i decided to give the roof and canopy a good cleaning. afterwards i rinsed down the coach. i noticed one of the front storage latch's was not locked. i reached down to twist the tab and got a electrical shock from it. then i went back to the entrance door steps and touched the steps and got another good jolt. I checked the incoming power and had all green lights on my surge protector. Any Ideas??

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are you connected to power?

If it’s a long cord, it can be that the EGC and the actual earth are at different voltages. This is pretty common with “remote” power use. It could also be a sign that your grounding electrode at your service entrance is not doing it’s job.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Noland View Post
    Hello everyone, We just purchased a 2017 Imagine and i decided to give the roof and canopy a good cleaning. afterwards i rinsed down the coach. i noticed one of the front storage latch's was not locked. i reached down to twist the tab and got a electrical shock from it. then i went back to the entrance door steps and touched the steps and got another good jolt. I checked the incoming power and had all green lights on my surge protector. Any Ideas??
    Google “RV hot skin” and you will find lots of information. From what I have read this can be a dangerous situation. Unplug your trailer until you know more about the problem.
    Last edited by J&J___; 05-26-2020 at 07:55 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As noted above by the previous two posts, this is most likely an issue with your shore power. You need to immediately disconnect the power from your TT until you can get a licensed electrician to help you out, or you become more familiar with the issues in order to have it repaired. The route you choose for fixing the issue is up to you, but please make sure you are comfortable with working on electrical circuits before you attempt the fix.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3170BH
    Pulled via 2010 Ram 2500 Laramie Megacab

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I'm doing some research on hot skin conditions and have found some good tips. I suspect my existing power receptacle is the culprit!!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using a 25ft. cord plugged into my 30 amp rv receptacle that was in place when I bought the property. I suspect it could be wired improperly. Thank you for your response my friend!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, agree with others, this is potentially a dangerous situation, correct it immediately! You said you just purchased the 2017, I assume used, in this case you have no idea what repairs have been made by someone or the owner. If you are not familiar with AC electricity have a professional do the job.

Some examples of what can cause this type of problem, These RVs have a very specific AC plugin / outlet type where the wires crimp into the back of the fixture, it usually requires a special tool to crimp the wires in the outlet and seal it. If someone replaced one of these outlets for whatever reason (perhaps the outlet broke or cracked) and didn't do it correctly or used a standard household outlet to repair, they may have wired it wrong or wires came loose, no strain relief wires skinned on a metal frame etc. As suggested you could also have some kind of wiring problem between the RV and the source of power. Get it checked out immediately.

Someone with a Solitude not to long ago had a similar problem, it was traced back to a repair that was made to an AC outlet, shoving the wires and the outlet back into the wall caused a neutral wire to come loose and contacted a hot lead.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-26-2020 at 09:41 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm using a 25ft. cord plugged into my 30 amp rv receptacle that was in place when I bought the property. I suspect it could be wired improperly. Thank you for your response my friend!
    With the power off, pull the 30A receptacle and take a few pictures of the wiring to the plug. Also at your main power box (where utility power comes in) check that the grounding wire/grounding rod connection is secure (copper wire coming out of box (no need to open box) Otherwise as stated get a licensed electrician. You could call your power company customer service too - I have lived in areas where they send folks out to help.

Hope this helps
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far is this receptacle from the service entrance of your house? Is it fed from an outbuilding?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's about 30 yards from the house where it is powered from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast