User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Noland View Post
    It's about 30 yards from the house where it is powered from.
    My guess is that without a sub panel near the outlet, you don’t have a ground rod there and you are seeing a voltage difference in the soil. If you have a voltmeter, measure from ground to hot on the outlet and you should see about 120v. Plug the camper in and plug an extension cord into an outlet in the camper that will reach the steps. Measure from the steps to the hot lead on the cord. Again, should be 120v. If both of these work out, you confirmed the ground is intact at the receptacle and in the camper.

Now to check for ground voltage difference. Drive something like a tent stake into the soil near the steps. Measure AC voltage from the steps to the stake. Ideally you will see zero volts. My bet is you will get a higher voltage.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will check as you instructed. Thank You for the advise!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will check as you instructed. Thank You for the advise!!
    @jkwilson

John - your probably correct. Somewhere between the sub panel, the outlet plug there is a floating ground or neutral (white wire) tied to the ground bar. Could be in the sub panel or how the plug was wired. Some municipalities do not alloy separate ground rods at secondary sub panels - they want the ground to run back to the primary power panel - don't have a clue why. After my inspection I put the two grounding rods back - one at the garage sub panel and one at the barn - both are metal buildings. The building skin is also grounded through the rods.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Morning, Well as it turns out I had a bad ground in my receptacle on the incoming power. guess I should of investigated before I jumped on and asked for help. Thanks' to everyone who gave me some great advise yesterday. I can tell we are going to be proud grand design owners just by the amount of willingness to help a fellow camper. I hope I can assist someone down the line. Thanks' Again!!!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you found the cause. Really glad you or anyone else didn't get hurt!

You might consider a contact tester in your set-up kit. After you plug in just pass the tester agains any ground or grounded metal to check for no voltage.

Here is a link that you can reference: https://rvelectricity.com
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Morning, Well as it turns out I had a bad ground in my receptacle on the incoming power. guess I should of investigated before I jumped on and asked for help. Thanks' to everyone who gave me some great advise yesterday. I can tell we are going to be proud grand design owners just by the amount of willingness to help a fellow camper. I hope I can assist someone down the line. Thanks' Again!!!
    I’m curious what kind of surge protector you have that didn’t detect an open ground.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think to explain that when I used a meter to check between the hot leg and ground that I had 83 volts. I don't think the surge protector could see the lack of grounding .

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think to explain that when I used a meter to check between the hot leg and ground that I had 83 volts. I don't think the surge protector could see the lack of grounding .
    That’s a bit concerning. On unloaded circuits, you almost never see anything but 120V/240V or 0V. When you start seeing “in between” voltages, I worry about neutral problems, which can result in high voltages on the other leg.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An EMS would see it. Find one that would cut off issues. We use a Progressive Industries unit which cuts off high voltage, low voltage, bad ground/neutral, miswired electrical box, etc.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I corrected the ground issue, i had 125 volts between the ground and hot leg.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12