Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding 2nd AC to 2020 3170BH

Hello everyone. We will be adding a second AC unit to our 3170BH within the next month. My question is about the type of unit and the thermostat wiring, if needed. I haven't dug into the roof where the vent is located, yet. I know it is setup for a second unit, but not sure of the exact setup. Do I need a self contained, non-ducted unit? Or do I need a ducted unit with its own thermostat mounted in the bedroom? Also, what unit is recommended? I see alot of talk about the Dometic Penguin II, just want to make sure we have the optimal setup for this to work best.

Thanks!!

Kevin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3170BH
    Pulled via 2010 Ram 2500 Laramie Megacab

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ended up ordering a Coleman Mach 15 to match the other factory unit. We also purchased the same grill and thermostat to tie the whole system together and look like it came from the factory. All of the parts should be here this next week and the install will begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Install was fairly simple and straightforward. I added a lot of insulation, foam board, and ducting tape to seal up the area inside the roof for better air flow and cooling. The wiring and t-stat install were simple as well. All in all, I’d say I could have completed the install from start to finish in about 4 hours if I had been a bit more prepared (lots of trips back and forth for tools and such).

The AC unit worked flawlessly on first start up. The air flow gain throughout the trailer is substantial, especially in the front where the new unit is installed, as well as in the bunkhouse area. The single unit from the factory did a well enough job of cooling the main living area, but lacked performance at either end of the trailer. This is no longer an issue with two units working together for the air flow.

Happy trails!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin, I just installed the unit but am confused how to connect the 12 volt wiring on the Mach 15. Can you describe it please? Here’s what I’m looking at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4EB8784B-A613-4382-ADA1-CAA374ACA01B.jpeg   B2AF0C4D-C0B3-4D83-8E17-B30065ED5C81.jpeg  
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Kevin, I just installed the unit but am confused how to connect the 12 volt wiring on the Mach 15. Can you describe it please? Here’s what I’m looking at.
    I've just a general idea of the wiring:

Yellow is the 120VAC back to the AC circuit breaker, it gets wired in thru the hole on the right side of the control box.

Orange/White, White wire pair is the +12V (OR/WH), 12V Return (WH) back to the DC Fuse Panel.
    Tap into it so the +12V gets jumpered to the T-stat via the thermostat wires, 12V Return gets connected to the control box and t-stat.

T-stat wires match each end to control box terminals and t-stat terminals.

Shut off the 120VAC and +12VDC before cutting, working on the wires.

edit: wires for the control box need female crimp connectors, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...-67K/202518592

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Box Front View DSCF5515.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	27723

My diagram attached, colors vary in the rigs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coleman-AirXcel HVAC.pdf  
    Last edited by gbkims; 07-03-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I've just a general idea of the wiring:

Yellow is the 120VAC back to the AC circuit breaker, it gets wired in thru the hole on the right side of the control box.

Orange/White, White wire pair is the +12V (OR/WH), 12V Return (WH) back to the DC Fuse Panel.
    Tap into it so the +12V gets jumpered to the T-stat via the thermostat wires, 12V Return gets connect to the control box.

T-stat wires match each end to control box terminals and t-stat terminals.

Shut off the 120VAC and +12VDC before cutting, working on the wires.

edit: wires for the control box need female crimp connectors, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...-67K/202518592

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Box Front View DSCF5515.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	27723

My diagram attached, colors vary in the rigs.
    Thanks for the reply. I did get it hooked up and the unit blows, I just can’t control it from the thermostat. I can’t turn it off, and a couple modes, such as low cool, only blows fan, no cool. I used the white/orange 12v as a positive line. Do you think it is negative?
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I did get it hooked up and the unit blows, I just can’t control it from the thermostat. I can’t turn it off, and a couple modes, such as low cool, only blows fan, no cool. I used the white/orange 12v as a positive line. Do you think it is negative?
    White should ground for 12V for the paired wire.
    You may have to use a multmeter to verify you've got +12 and -12 on t-stat R and B terminals.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it’s time to break out the multimeter and start verifying wires and voltages. Sounds like something got crossed between the t-stat and the control box.

The easiest way to verify if you have the 12 volt system hooked up correctly is to see if your thermostat is on. If you have the positive and negative hooked up incorrectly, your thermostat display will not be showing anything. My bet is on the control wires being crossed somewhere.

Post again if you need more help. Or call me on the number I sent you via PM.