User Tag List

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How To: Power a 50a RV with a single inverter

Since AC wiring is tricky on a good day compared to DC, I made some AC only wiring diagrams for my Victron Quattro showing how you can wire it up to get safe and optimal use in your trailer. I ommitted all non-AC wiring as it makes the drawing noisier than it already is.

How to wire up an inverter with single AC input to power only 1 leg of the trailer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Inverter Design - Single Quattro Installed - AC Only.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	26776

How to wire up an inverter with dual AC inputs to power only 1 leg of the trailer

Name:	RV Inverter Design - Single Quattro Installed - Dual Inputs - AC Detail.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	26775

This is where things get interesting, with the use of a simple contactor, you can have your system "intelligently" select how to power L2 in your trailer, either from the inverter output OR passthrough the grid/generator L2. The beauty of this, is you are now powering your WHOLE trailer from a single inverter. I took things a step further and added a switch that you can use to manually control selector behavior so that if you are on a single phase input such as a 15/30a dogbone, you can "force" all power through the inverter. While I show the single AC input wiring here, this same approach can be employed with a dual AC inverter set up as well.

Name:	RV Inverter Design - Single Quattro Installed - Contactor - AC Only.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	26774

Of course, if you have dual inverters then it is a different game. Here is a dual AC input/dual inverter diagram for reference.

Name:	RV Inverter Design - Dual Quattro Installed - Dual Inputs - AC Detail.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	26773
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Of course, if you have dual inverters then it is a different game.
    Do you have dual inverters? And is that why you went with the Quattro and not the MultiPlus?

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning towards a second inverter. For now I will be the dual inputs and contactor approach. The Quattros are beneficial for the dual inputs, otherwise pretty much the same as a MultiPlus. You can do dual MultiPlus units as well. I want to be able to program the 2 inputs to behave differently (grid and generator). The Quattro allows you to do that.

In my case I will program my Quattro to Ignore AC Input 1 (grid) - meaning it will internally disconnect - unless either my state of charge goes below 25% OR my inverter load is at a sustained high level. This means that unless it is not really needed, solar will manage all battery charging. Goal is to maximize the solar use. I will then leave the generator always connected on AC Input 2 with it programmed to start under the same conditions only if there is no AC available at AC Input 1. I have a Color Control GX that has a relay and logic built in to trigger the generator start/stop and this little controller can take the start/stop signal from the CCGX and translate it into the needed commands directly to the generator.

http://atkinsonelectronics.com/gscm-...hz-usa-canada/
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AM Solar makes a device to hook up a single inverter to power the 50A power.

https://amsolar.com/rv-inverter-acce...=Smart%20phase
    2018 Ram 3500 Short Bed Diesel
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcason View Post
    AM Solar makes a device to hook up a single inverter to power the 50A power.

https://amsolar.com/rv-inverter-acce...=Smart%20phase
    For ONLY $600! I am not a fan of black boxes if I can avoid them. It is likely that their solution is little more than a box with this same contactor design and some bus bars in it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    For ONLY $600! I am not a fan of black boxes if I can avoid them. It is likely that their solution is little more than a box with this same contactor design and some bus bars in it.
    I do not currently have an inverter. In the past you could only get the smart phase box in a kit. I agree it is a little expensive and I am sure there is not much to the design. However buying two inverters would be more expensive than this solution. Just wanted to show another option.

My plan is to add an inverter and it maybe one of their kits. It may be awhile before I can even start this project.
    2018 Ram 3500 Short Bed Diesel
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcason View Post
    I do not currently have an inverter. In the past you could only get the smart phase box in a kit. I agree it is a little expensive and I am sure there is not much to the design. However buying two inverters would be more expensive than this solution. Just wanted to show another option.

My plan is to add an inverter and it maybe one of their kits. It may be awhile before I can even start this project.
    The more planning you do, the better you will understand what is going in, how it all works, and how to fix it if needed. By doing my install myself, I probably saved $10k in labor/expertise I would have had to pay someone. You know what they say, "measure twice and cut once"