Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluepigs View Post
    Thanks Gainestr
    Your question made me decide to hit the scales today. Pin weight is at 3100 lbs. RV weight is 13,460.
    GVWR = 11,700
    Trucks actual GVWR = 11,500.

So I’m 200 pounds over. Even though the RV is under its maximum weight and my axle weights are all good, even with a one ton truck, I’m over weight.
    Thankfully, I’m currently at my home base so I now get to decide what I need to get rid of. Time for a diet!

However, to be fair, I was carrying water at 2/3 capacity because I had been boon-docking for four days. So I had both grey tanks at 1/3 full, about 8 gallons left in the fresh water tank and the rest in the black tank when I rolled on the scale. I don’t normally drive with that much water but I didn’t have a choice and it is a perfect real world example. I drove 770 miles with that added weight. No problems but I’m certainly not comfortable with it and I’ll be more cautious next time. Found a deal on 4 boxes of DEF so I had an extra 80 lbs in the front of the RV of that. It certainly all adds up. I’m thinking of adding a small rack to the back of the 337 and putting heavier stuff back there.
    Last edited by Gainestr; 05-27-2020 at 11:37 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gainestr View Post
    Your question made me decide to hit the scales today. Pin weight is at 3100 lbs. RV weight is 13,460.
    GVWR = 11,700

So I’m 200 pounds over. Even though the RV is under its maximum weight and my axle weights are all good, even with a one ton truck, I’m over weight.
    Thankfully, I’m currently at my home base so I now get to decide what I need to get rid of. Time for a diet!

However, to be fair, I was carrying water at 2/3 capacity because I had been boon-docking for four days. So I had both grey tanks at 1/3 full, about 8 gallons left in the fresh water tank and the rest in the black tank when I rolled on the scale. I don’t normally drive with that much water but I didn’t have a choice and it is a perfect real world example. I drove 770 miles with that added weight. No problems but I’m certainly not comfortable with it and I’ll be more cautious next time. Found a deal on 4 boxes of DEF so I had an extra 80 lbs in the front of the RV of that. It certainly all adds up. I’m thinking of adding a small rack to the back of the 337 and putting heavier stuff back there.
    I've been towing a 337 with a 2018 F250 diesel for over 2 years. 300 lbs Demco auto slider and 60 gallon auxiliary tank. I am overweight for sure. I've been out west, south, and going east in a few weeks. My 250 does an excellent job. No problems at all. I wouldn't worry about being a few hundred pounds over wight. If you are going to worry about it on every trip, then you should upgrade your vehicle. The way i look at it, if this was a major safety issue and rvers were killing themselves all the time by being a few hundred pounds over their pin weight, then you would see a lot more enforcement by state and federal agencies. I also believe that the manufacturers are conservative with the numbers too. Your 2019 won't have a problem. I wouldn't upgrade my vehicle first before pulling the trigger. Give it a try. My two cents worth.
    Last edited by Maximus216; 05-28-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Maximus216. I pull my 337RLS with my 2010 F250 6.4. No problems. Have added air bags to help the suspension because springs are about the only difference between a 250 and 350. I pulled a toy hauler before the 337rls and the pin weight on it was greater. My bigger concern is stopping. You need to drive defensively.
    David & Kyrenda
    2010 Ford F-250 Diesel
    2019 Reflection 337rls
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I crank up my rancho shocks to max and 60 lbs of air in my bags and its an awesome ride.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gainestr View Post
    GVWR = 11,700

Here is what i did to the rear of my 337. The two containers i bought at tractor supply and the basket i got on cleareance at Lowes. Its just a cheap wire storage basket. I used 2x6 to raise the containers so that they would be level since they won't fit inside the basket. Then i just bolted them down through the 2x6 and the wire basket. I bought the brake lights off of Amazon and wired them to a 4 pin plug in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200529_082646.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	26810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200529_082714.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	26811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200529_082707.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	26812

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna need a one ton. Or else you will exceed payload and potentially rear weight rating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good discussions, agree with the tires being the weak link. I have a 2018 2500HD. I have done considerable research on the difference between that and 3500HD SRW. The only items are a bigger jounce ball and additional spring, both discounted with airbags. I did see a link stating the 2500 didn't have the gusset on the rear axle/diff (mine does), just FYI. I got LT265/60R20 tires with the vehicle. They are 121 rated at 3197#, my drive axle with a 2820# pin weight came in at 6700#, 300# overweight. The tire started shredding on the road, luckily caught before the imminent blowout. I have since upgraded to LT285/60R20's with a 125 rating of 3650#, now safely under. There was never an issue with towing ability, but clearly safety an issue. I will also be putting a Banks Derringer Tuner on as well. Good luck

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post
    Your GAWR is limited by your tire load ratings. You should look at them first. If, for example, they are 123 rated, that would be 3417lbs a tire at 80psi. That would give a little over 6800lbs.

I won't give any advice on pull it or not but since you asked about GAWR, tires are usually the limiting factor on single axle trucks. This can be seen by looking at the white sticker that is on the driver's door. It gives the factory installed tire sizes and the axle ratings. The rear rating reflects the factory installed tire load rating. The axles themselves are rated much higher and on your particular truck, the same axle as a 1 ton, springs being the difference.

My own opinion is not to exceed 85% of the tire ratings. With my 303RLS, I have a pin weight of 2450lbs and that puts my axle at 5600lbs with tires rated at 6830lbs.

I hope this answered your question about GAWR.
    Rapid1. ? When towing, do you run with 80 psi in the rear truck tires? I've been running at the door label recommendation of 72 psi. Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluepigs View Post
    I really like the 337RLS and I am close to pulling the trigger on one. My only concern is my tow vehicle. I have a 2019 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country with 6.6 Turbo Diesel. I am willing to go over GVWR but worried about exceeding the rear GAWR. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. And any rear world pin weights, not guesses would be greatly appreciated
    That is why I went for the 303RLS. I have a 2019 Ford F250 that I bought around 8 months ago, so I an not going to buy a new truck anytime soon.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pin weight ready for glamping is 2950 with a tanks empty. I'm under all rated capacities of my 350 SRW in this mode but I'm running a gasser with 4000+ of payload capacity. We are living in ours now and we are way overloaded (wife has to have EVERYTHING) but I'm not going anywhere so no big deal. If I were going to full time travel I'd get a dually again as much as I don't want one.
    2022 F350 DRW - Lariat, LBCC, 4x4, 7.3L, 4.30 gears
    2018 Imagine 2150RB (SOLD)
    2005 Four Wheel Camper, Grandby (Slide-in Popup)
    2020 Reflection 337RLS (SOLD)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast