User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing 337RLS HELP

I really like the 337RLS and I am close to pulling the trigger on one. My only concern is my tow vehicle. I have a 2019 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country with 6.6 Turbo Diesel. I am willing to go over GVWR but worried about exceeding the rear GAWR. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. And any rear world pin weights, not guesses would be greatly appreciated

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluepigs View Post
    I really like the 337RLS and I am close to pulling the trigger on one. My only concern is my tow vehicle. I have a 2019 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country with 6.6 Turbo Diesel. I am willing to go over GVWR but worried about exceeding the rear GAWR. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. And any rear world pin weights, not guesses would be greatly appreciated
    I have a 2020 337RLS and had a 2012 F250 diesel with air bags. It pulled it just fine but I was way over weight. I now have a F350 dually. The trailer wanted to push the F250 around on rough roads.

Weights, we are full time
    Pin weight 3,000 pounds
    Total trailer weight 13,100
    Truck weight with trailer attached 11,300. GVWR of truck was 10,000 pounds
    Rear axel weight was about 50 pounds over rating
    Last edited by J&J___; 05-26-2020 at 11:17 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your response

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 337 and a GMC 3500 SRW. I don’t think I would do this with anything less than a one ton truck. That is what I have and I’m only 70 pounds under cargo capacity. My GVWR is 11,500 pounds and I’m at 11,430 pounds. Anything less and you will be over your weight ratings period. You need a minimum of 3500lbs of cargo capacity for that RV. Sorry to say. I see people towing the 337 all the time with a 3/4 ton and they all say “it’s not a problem.” And they are right, it isn’t, until it is! You will be way over your trucks weight ratings with a 3/4 ton unless you buy a new 2020 vehicle with higher cargo capacity.
    If you really like the 337 you should probably be looking at a one ton truck as well.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. my Real world pin weight was 2820 last time I checked but I think I’m over that now by a little. Honestly, I’m afraid to check because I know I’m probably over my cargo capacity. Maybe I should have bought a dually or something with around 4,000 lbs of cargo capacity in the bed. Maybe I just need to get rid of some unnecessary things. One thing for sure, if you plan on filling the RV to it’s maximum capacity of 14,000 pounds, go big or go home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gainestr

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yeah, these are heavier units than they appear. My 2015 337 pin weighs 3,280 lbs but I have an Onan generator in the front compartment which weighs about 175 lbs.

I started with a 3/4 ton and quickly moved up to a 1 ton.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your GAWR is limited by your tire load ratings. You should look at them first. If, for example, they are 123 rated, that would be 3417lbs a tire at 80psi. That would give a little over 6800lbs.

I won't give any advice on pull it or not but since you asked about GAWR, tires are usually the limiting factor on single axle trucks. This can be seen by looking at the white sticker that is on the driver's door. It gives the factory installed tire sizes and the axle ratings. The rear rating reflects the factory installed tire load rating. The axles themselves are rated much higher and on your particular truck, the same axle as a 1 ton, springs being the difference.

My own opinion is not to exceed 85% of the tire ratings. With my 303RLS, I have a pin weight of 2450lbs and that puts my axle at 5600lbs with tires rated at 6830lbs.

I hope this answered your question about GAWR.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your question is a dangerous one. Depending on the particular options on your 2500, it may be nearly identical to the same truck in the 3500 version. On my specific truck, there are only two differences; one less leaf spring and the rear tires come inflated to 65 psi instead of 80 psi as they would be on an F350. In a perfect world, I would have ordered the F350 but I needed to avoid some DOT issues so I special ordered a very specifically optioned F250. You will have to do an honest analysis of the mechanical components of your truck and then decide what you are comfortable with. I'm pretty sure that you won't be willing to sell your nearly new 2500 and take the depreciation hit. Making the move to a SRW 3500 would gain you very little other than paper capacities...which is very meaningful for a lot of folks. To really make it worth your while, you would probably have to jump up to DRW.

I really like the 337 layout but at the end of the day, I went with the 303 and have no regrets whatsoever. The fact that it is lighter weight and significantly shorter tipped the scales for me. A little more space in the bedroom would be nice, but not at the weight/length penalty.

Good luck with your decision!
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were full-time in a 2016 337 for a little over 4-1/2 years. It had the second AC in the bedroom, but no washer/dryer. I don't carry a lot of tools or heavy stuff and only had one wet battery in it. We started out with a 2013 Sierra 2500HD D/A RWD that had a stickered 3,060 lb. payload. On the scales, the trailer consistently put 3,000 - 3,100 lbs. on the pin. We moved up to the F350 DRW in my signature and were so glad we did. It may be a Reflection, but the 337 is a beast.

Rob

PS - forum hint: when you want to reply to someone in particular, use the "Reply With Quote" (as I have done here). Everyone will know to whom you are replying.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast