User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingLife View Post
    THANKS for the input. I am nervous to try that because I've heard never to run power to an RV without EMS because of the damage that can be caused. Everything seemed to work when I did my PDI at the dealers lot. At first my generator was throwing 135 volts at 69 Hertz so I adjusted it down. Now throwing 118-122 at 57 Hertz. If I didn't have the EMS would the 135 volts have fried anything? That's the sort of thing that gets me nervous.
    Progressive EMS units shut off the power if above 132 volts or below 104 volts. I'm not sure what the tolerance is for frequency, but I'm pretty sure 69 hertz is out of range and 57 is getting pretty close to out of range. I would be suspect of any generator that produced those kind of voltages and frequency.....maybe time for a more solid generator.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The items you listed are high demand amperage.

Your generator is not putting out enough to handle the demand quickly enough, and your EMS is shutting it down.

Is your generator an inverter type generator? Contractor grade generators don't throw very clean electric and can cause damage to sensitive electronics.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Progressive EMS units shut off the power if above 132 volts or below 104 volts. I'm not sure what the tolerance is for frequency, but I'm pretty sure 69 hertz is out of range and 57 is getting pretty close to out of range. I would be suspect of any generator that produced those kind of voltages and frequency.....maybe time for a more solid generator.
    I would agree. Is the Yamaha FZ09 your generator and wold you recommend it? Mine was purchased for emergency hurricane power outage and used with a house transfer switch. I used it during Superstorm Sandy.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    The items you listed are high demand amperage.

Your generator is not putting out enough to handle the demand quickly enough, and your EMS is shutting it down.

Is your generator an inverter type generator? Contractor grade generators don't throw very clean electric and can cause damage to sensitive electronics.
    I think your right again. What are some of the brand/model generators you would recommend?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High voltage is extremely rare and causes high amperage.

Do you have a multimeter of some sort? If not this is the perfect time to get one! Check the power every way you can, then call PI

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My neighbor just bought one of these. Designed for RV use, works great and not too loud.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3100...s%2C203&sr=8-3
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree. Is the Yamaha FZ09 your generator and wold you recommend it? Mine was purchased for emergency hurricane power outage and used with a house transfer switch. I used it during Superstorm Sandy.
    The Yamaha FZ09 is a Motorcycle.....and I had one until just recently....and with the mods I did to mine (full exhaust system, flashed ECU with different mapping for the fuel/air) it did throw out some power...122 HP and almost 80 ft. lbs of torque, all on a bike that only weighed about 410 lbs......didn't work very well as a generator though! I have the Cummins/Onan in my Toy Hauler, but at home, I have a Yamaha Inverter EF6300iSDE. It would be way too heavy for most folks to haul around, although I did build a cart for it and loaded it in the back of my enclosed trailer everytime I went to the racetrack. Very quiet, just like the bigger Honda gennys, reliable and $$$$
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your right again. What are some of the brand/model generators you would recommend?
    This one is dual-fuel (runs on either propane or gasoline), fairly quiet, inverter, and can be inexpensively bridged with a second one for run-anything-you-like-plus-the-neighbor's-too power. The Champions are popular and offer a lot for their price.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3400...0858593&sr=8-4
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That generator should be fine for running everything in your RV except electronics....more later. That generator is more suited to a construction site. Voltage and frequency aren't well regulated, pretty course actually. take a volt meter and read A/C voltage to see what it is. Your EMS by it's nature is there to protect from voltage surges and dips. The fireplace is a restive load with a lot of inrush current until it begins to heat up. The generator will dip on turn-on and probably overshoot when the governor tries to catch up. That's why the EMS is tripping. Go ahead and try the fireplace without it in line. If you are considering a generator full time you should be looking at a good quality inverter generator. It will supply a steady line voltage and frequency. Electronics are sensitive to frequency so that why it's a consideration. An inverter would eliminate the need of an EMS when used as well.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-30-2020 at 12:44 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    This one is dual-fuel (runs on either propane or gasoline), fairly quiet, inverter, and can be inexpensively bridged with a second one for run-anything-you-like-plus-the-neighbor's-too power. The Champions are popular and offer a lot for their price.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3400...0858593&sr=8-4
    I have that one myself, got it last fall, Black Friday sale. It's a good one. I keep it in my PU bed with a 20# propane bottle. It will run the A/C no problem but I installed a soft start just in case. Now I can confidently run anything whenever. You won't have a need to parallel it unless your lighting up a small city.
    Save a few bucks, I got mine here: https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...or/p67309.html Tell them I sent you too.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-30-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast