Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2002 Ford F350 lb, cc, towing a 376th ?

Hi all,
    1st post.
    I have a 2002 Ford F350 crew cab, long bed, SRW, with a full Banks towing level upgrade. Drilled, and slotted rotors, with ceramic brakes.
    We are upgrading from a 2017 Montana 374fl to 2017 GD Momentum 376th.
    The dealer is throwing in an Anderson hitch to upgrade us from the Reese 15k.
    Correct hitch for my truck ?
    Reading lots, and seeing a creased bed, and some other issues.
    If ok, which way to put everything together ?
    Offset forward or back ?
    Converter forward or back ?
    The 374fl leveled me with about 2500 pin weight.
    376th, says to have 3250, a gain of 750 pounds.
    We'll see if I squat, and if I do, then air bags.
    Hoping I'm not over rating my truck with a 20,000 pound loaded trailer !!
    Pulled the 374fl with no problems. The Banks brake was great on down hills !
    I am a truck driver with over 30 years on the road, so the size doesn't bother me.
    This Anderson hitch has me twitching...
    I'm old school, 5th wheel plate.

Thanks for any replys.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have GMC 3500 SWR standard bed, Reflection 337 and the Anderson hitch. No issues with it at all and love that it can be taken out easily. No noises when going down the road and over bums (chucking, bumping, etc). Watch your rails on uneven ground. There is no plate to help prevent tilt. Remember, your on a ball and your rig will lean as much as it needs to and will hit those rails if your not careful. I have 6 inches of clearance and have had zero issues with the rails. But I have come close!! No crease in the bed and no twisting/turning of the hitch in the bed either. Recommend a spray in bed liner or rubber pad under the hitch though. Overall, I’m very pleased with the hitch and I appreciate it more and more. Especially when I see fellow RVrs struggle with their hitches and accidentally drop their rigs on their rails.
    If you have a long bed, you probably can get by installing it as per instructions. No need to reverse it like I needed to with the shorter bed.
    Last edited by Gainestr; 05-27-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does the sticker inside your driver's door say?

It should give a weight that your truck is rated to handle in the bed.

It should look like this...

I doubt a 2002 F350 will be anywhere close to what you need to handle the loaded pin weight of a 376.

I've seen loaded pin weights of over 4000lbs on that model. The 3250 you quoted is empty, no battery, no LP, no nothin'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sticker.jpg  
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, a quick look in the Trailer Life towing guides, there is no Ford truck configuration in 2002 that can carry 20,000lbs.

14,000lbs max even on a dually at that age.

Start looking for a new truck. The dealer you are buying from should be ashamed for either not asking or telling you you're fine with what you have.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with huntr70, no way that truck will safely pull a 376! Your screen name is kind of ominous because that is what will happen if you try to tow that trailer!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,
    I gotta ask.
    What makes a modern 1 ton ok, but my older one, not ?
    Both 1 tons ?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatt View Post
    Well,
    I gotta ask.
    Both 1 tons ?
    Sounds like a good question for Ford.

The ratings are what they spec'd, not anyone on this or any other forum.

I would imagine it comes from more efficient braking, exhaust braking, stronger materials, more HP, more torque, etc, etc.

Look up the rating on Trailer Life tow guides. Even a 2002 dually is not rated for 20,000lbs.

I would love to see what your door sticker has on it.

In all honesty, I wouldn't put that trailer on a brand new 1 ton SRW. Still not enough carrying capacity.
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatt View Post
    Well,
    I gotta ask.
    Both 1 tons ?
    There are many factors that go into truck capability. Frame strength, brakes, suspension components, tires, axle ratings...both front and rear, GVWR, Payload, Engine/Transmission, rear end ratio,....you get the picture. Even the most modern trucks sometimes have an issue with the heavier 5th wheel camping trailers. Mostly, the newer one have all the components I mentioned above, but in almost every single case, when you are towing a 5th wheel CAMPING trailer, you will run out of payload capacity long before you reach the listed towing capacity of that truck. The reason? 5th wheel camping trailer will traditionally put down at least 20% of the trailer's weight as pin weight. In many cases, the number will be even higher....think 22, 23,24, 25% of the trailer weight. The Momentum 376TH has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs. If that trailer is loaded to that weight or close to it, you are looking at around 4000+ lbs of pin weight.....and that's just the start of the weight that will go on the truck. Next is the 5th Wheel hitch that goes in the truck....roughly 200 lbs if you are using a traditional 5ver hitch. Then you have to look at all the other stuff that MIGHT be in the truck.....truckbed toolbox with tools, aux. fuel tank, firewood, etc. Then you have to look at inside the truck....passenger(s), a family pet, etc. ALL of those things count against the payload capacity of the truck. So if you start off with close to 4000 lbs of pin weight, add the hitch, toolbox with tools, a couple of passengers, and whatever else you load in the truck, it's pretty easy to see that you could possibly be in the 5000 lb range of weight being put in/on the truck. That is definitely Dually territory....even with a modern day 2020 truck....much less for a 2002 SRW truck. There is no possible way that the 2002 isn't going to be extremely overloaded with that trailer.

Sorry, but that is the facts and the dynamics of towing, and it applies to every single truck made....old new, and everything in between.
    Last edited by xrated; 05-28-2020 at 07:21 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Sounds like a good question for Ford.

The ratings are what they spec'd, not anyone on this or any other forum.

I would imagine it comes from more efficient braking, exhaust braking, stronger materials, more HP, more torque, etc, etc.

Look up the rating on Trailer Life tow guides. Even a 2002 dually is not rated for 20,000lbs.

I would love to see what your door sticker has on it.

In all honesty, I wouldn't put that trailer on a brand new 1 ton SRW. Still not enough carrying capacity.
    The federally required door safety sticker was not widely used until around 2006/2007 model years. I'd be very surprised if he finds one on his truck.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only sticker I found says a front GAWR at 5200 lbs, and a rear GAWR at 6830 ?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast