User Tag List

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatt View Post
    Ok guys, I've been researching this, and you all are right.
    I am over weight by a good bit.
    Right now, we aren't in a position to up grade to a newer, drw truck.
    We aren't planning on going very far yet with this unit, it's our retirement "house".
    We're getting our ducks together, to get all the proper things in place.
    All the years driving trucks, moving rigs, etc, i was conscious of those weights.
    It never occurred to me, that F350's, weren't created equal, and a 1 ton, isn't a 1 ton.
    Thank you for having me see this.
    I did put alot of time, and money in my truck, and couldn't belive it wasn't up to the task.
    I am getting a Demco, 21k for it, and even tho my tires are 6830 pounds, I'm going to get higher rated ones.
    I have what I have, live in a rural area, and am only going under 50 miles, on camping trips.
    Not justifying anything, but got things backwards, and will make do til we can correct.
    Forgive my ignorance, and bullheadedness.
    Now to go back to enjoying our 376th, and learning about problems, fixes, and upgrades.
    Thank you for your follow up on this. Not everyone can admit when they were wrong and you did....kudos to you for that. If it's any consolation, there are many, many of us that have been where you were/are and in my case, it was very painful to realize that the fairly new truck I had was not up to the task of towing the trailer I had at the time......painful AND costly to upgrade. When I did discovery that what I had was inadequate, I decided to dig in my heals and just prove to myself that I would be OK and that there should/would be exceptions so that I could keep my then present truck. The more I dug in with research, asking questions, and learning everything I could about towing dynamics, the more I came to realize that I was wrong in my thoughts. I checked, double checked, and checked some more....and it all led to the reality that I was going to be overloaded and there wasn't any exceptions to hard and fast rules pertaining to towing dynamics.....kind of like gravity....there are no exceptions and it treats all of us the same way. There is no embarrassment in being wrong, just hope that in realizing it, you can learn from it. I'm glad, in a weird kind of way that I went through what I went through, as it has made me feel much better about being able to help others and them not have to go through that same school of hard knocks. It also makes be very happy and secure that when I purchased my next truck and trailer that i was 100% confident that the union of those vehicles would be safe and fall within all the numbers/capacities that relate to towing a heavy trailer. Good luck in your future endeavors and happy camping.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Splatt, I'm right there with you buddy. I have a knockout 2008 F350 with only 75,000 miles. I bought the truck new, did a lift, Toyos and nice rims...lots of extras to make it more worthy for towing. Then I bought my 394M. I ran it over the CAT scales last year and found it overweight (RAWR) by about 140 lbs. Not bad, but this was without water and firewood in the bed, etc. I tried everything to make it right, but like everyone here has said, the trucks rating is what it is. My truck is near perfect, it's been a garage queen it's whole life and been babied. I struggle with getting rid of it, but now have an F450 on order. That element of safety in my head, especially when hauling my family around, but also with the general public around me in mind (nobody should be in danger because of me), is a good peace of mind. It's good that you have a capable truck in mind and in your future. You have a great trailer...make sure you have a bunch of years to safely enjoy it with your wonderful spouse. Best wishes to you and everyone here always!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1431.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	27001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0336.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	27002

Compliments to everyone here for great advice and respectful dialog!!

-Brad Mower
    Last edited by Brad777; 06-05-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only 140 pounds !
    There had to be somewhere to lose 200 pounds ?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only 140 pounds !
    There had to be somewhere to lose 200 pounds ?
    Yes, I believe I could have shed a couple hundred pounds. This surely wouldn't have helped me any when I added 157 gallons of water and a truck bed full of firewood though. I've really enjoyed my truck and kept it really nice...it's hard to get rid of. However, all my weight problems go away with the F450. To boot, I'm expecting better fuel economy since it has much more power than my truck and also a 10 speed transmission. The 450s are really good looking trucks also. It's on order now with a build date of June 18. I should get it in early July.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new truck has less than 50 hp more than me, and maybe 200 pounds of torque.
    The tranny sounds interesting tho.
    I'll most likely end up with a F450, maybe a semi, registered as an rv.
    A big cat motor, and a 13 speed sounds like a win, win, and a sleeper.
    Parking may be a pain tho !
    Last edited by Splatt; 06-06-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy the wife a cheap car for her and dog. You’ll be at weight and save $$ on the 450. never mind, divorce lawyers will cost more.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we go for time at the lake, she pulls the boat with her grocery getter.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, parking. That's another bonus with the F450, over even the F250 and F350. The F450 has a wide track front end that allows for very sharp turning. Read up on it. Ford did a great job with this truck.

A new truck has less than 50 hp more than me, and maybe 200 pounds of torque.
    The tranny sounds interesting tho.
    I'll most likely end up with a F450, maybe a semi, registered as an rv.
    A big cat motor, and a 13 speed sounds like a win, win, and a sleeper.
    Parking may be a pain tho !

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up our 376th today.
    Its chunky !
    The Banks powered 7.3l did a great job pulling, and the Banks brakes worked like a charm to slow us down.
    Do I need a new truck ?
    Yep.
    Will this do to get us to the lake ?
    Yep.
    But,,,,,
    It's a wise choice to haul with a bigger rig.
    I can see an F 350 or better yet, an F450, in our future.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I like the Demco 21k.
    Locked up solid.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast