User Tag List

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got rid of the Westlakes!

Yesterday I finally got around to replacing my four (not the spare) Westlake tires with Goodyear Endurance. Since the tire place did not have room for my truck and trailer I removed the tires (one side at a time) and brought them into the tire place two at a time. Initially the mechanic thought that I was nuts changing out the Westlakes with so little wear (4000 miles) until he got one of them off the rim. Compared to the Goodyear Endurance the Westlakes were flimsy with mushy soft sidewalls and they weighed noticeably less. I now can see why it is so critical to keep the Westlakes fully inflated. It cost me just about $550, but i feel it was money well spent. I hope I don't regret not changing out the spare.

Lastly, the one odd thing that I noticed when swapping out the tires is that Grand Design used a different bolt size for the trailer than they did for the bolts holding the spare on. The bolt size on the trailer tires was 3/4" and the bolts holding the spare tire on were 13/16. Seems rather stupid to use two different bolt sizes. I carry both sizes, but I can see someone having an issue stuck on the side of the road with a flat if they didn't know that.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the Westlakes exactly prompted the change out?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you read on this forum you will find out Westlake’s E rated tires come apart. Count me in the $4500 repair club after a Westlake tread separation. Get them off the trailer or you likely pay extra for your insolence.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was just too many stories on this and other web sites about Westlake blowouts and all the potential damage that can occur, caused me to worry. Last year we put over 4000 miles on the trailer and all I did was worry about those Westlake tires when driving. The final straw occured last winter while we were in the car headed south on I95 just into New Hampshire when the travel trailer just ahead of us blew a tire. The driver maintained control and safely pulled over to the side of the road, but it did cause some damage to his trailer. So I decided to replace ours before our next trip.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m about two weeks from our first trip in our 2979RL. Trip will only be about 900 miles round trip. Haven’t had a chance to change out the Westlakes not will certainly do so before our September trip to Colorado. Have been looking at the GY endurance E rated tires. Do you know if our Aluminum rims can take the 80 psi rating of the E rated you tires? 225/75/15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Reflection 285BHTS that came with Westlake E rated and now has Goodyear Endurance E rated tires. The Lionshead aluminum rims will handle 80 psi cold, both sets of tires had that cold pressure rating, and the tires are 225/75/15.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just changed my Westlakes to GY Endurance a few weeks back with only about 1500 miles. No issues with them but like others have mentioned the stories of tread separation and damage. I did this on my previous trailer as well with Castle Rocks. In both cases the GY Endurance is heavier with a more firm sidewall. I paid about $500 or so also and took them off myself one side at a time to my mechanic to balance and mount. I had him install Xtra seal 17-428. metal valve stems.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I to have now joined the club and changed the WL for the GY after reading about all the issues. Also installed the X-tra valve stems and TPMS. Peace of mind.

Great site with great folks here.
    Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Lastly, the one odd thing that I noticed when swapping out the tires is that Grand Design used a different bolt size for the trailer than they did for the bolts holding the spare on. The bolt size on the trailer tires was 3/4" and the bolts holding the spare tire on were 13/16. Seems rather stupid to use two different bolt sizes. I carry both sizes, but I can see someone having an issue stuck on the side of the road with a flat if they didn't know that.
    Yes, that's quite the head-scratcher . I have a breaker bar with a two way 13/16 one way and 3/4 the other way, but I don't understand why they wouldn't just pick one.

I also replaced the WLs D-rated tires for GY Endurance after 2500 miles from all the horror stories. After pulling them off I can see why, the WLs are garbage! Seems like they would need an inner tube. I don't know why GD uses them, but likely the same reason for the disparate bolt lug sizes!
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to be part of this forum and to have so many folks sharing advice. Our new trailer is back and forth from campground to storage until be buy the truck, so you can bet when we hit the road we'll be riding on replaced tires. Thanks everybody for the words of wisdom.