Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgraded Shower Head Dribble Position

I am asking for thoughts and advice again as I have encountered another anomaly.

I have in my 2020 230RL great pump water pressure, flow and volume as well as the same for hot water. So far the water systems are working very well. In our past trailers we always added an upgraded shower head, the Oxygenics. Picture attached. We did this to our GD as well.

Now... in the other trailers we have owned in the past, you rinse, turn the head to drizzle mode, lather up, turn shower head back on, rinse, repeat. (Dry camping water conservation). The temperature of the water between off and coming back on was meant to be somewhat maintained by the drizzle from the shower head in its off or drizzle mode/position. At least that's what I have observed in the past. You wouldn't get scalded or frozen when turning the shower head back on while trying to conserve water using the on/off-drizzle mode of the head.

In our GD trailer, the Oxygenics shower head works and drizzles just fine, but after about half a minute when you turn the head back on you get blasted with cold water! Then of course the nice warm water comes back. Ahhh!! LOL

I never had this scenario with the same make/model of shower head in our other non GD trailers. So I am somehow thinking that something is somehow different in the GD. Back pressure of the cold water keeping the inlet of the hot water heater check valve closed or.. what? A puzzlement!

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on? It's just not working like I have experienced in the past.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200528_174025.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	26809
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cold water is overpowering the hot side and pushes cold back in to the hot line. You can try putting a check valve on the hot water line at the shower valve and see if that helps.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a function of your unit's plumbing and your personal mix of hot to cold. So, not a GD thing, really, and as indicated above maybe a check will solve it alone or in combination with an adjustment to your blending.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJCES View Post
    In our GD trailer, the Oxygenics shower head works and drizzles just fine, but after about half a minute when you turn the head back on you get blasted with cold water! Then of course the nice warm water comes back. Ahhh!! LOL
    Cold comfort - literally! - but we have exactly the same experience.

We've become adept at turning the faucets off and back on instead, made easier because one of them (hot or cold, I don't remember) is used full-on anyway and we maintain temperature by quickly returning the other one to the desired position.

If you do the check-valve mod suggested please post about it here with pictures.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts! It is helpful and I sort of thought that maybe there is a bit more cold water pressure than hot pushing the hot back. There already is a check valve in the cold side of the hot water heater. But there's a volume of water ahead of that check valve! If I added another check valve closer to the shower controls, might it restrict the hot a little too much? But, cold water heading back down the hot would surely be stopped! I'll have to look closer at this idea. It makes sense!!

Thanks again!

John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJCES View Post
    I am asking for thoughts and advice again as I have encountered another anomaly.

I have in my 2020 230RL great pump water pressure, flow and volume as well as the same for hot water. So far the water systems are working very well. In our past trailers we always added an upgraded shower head, the Oxygenics. Picture attached. We did this to our GD as well.

Now... in the other trailers we have owned in the past, you rinse, turn the head to drizzle mode, lather up, turn shower head back on, rinse, repeat. (Dry camping water conservation). The temperature of the water between off and coming back on was meant to be somewhat maintained by the drizzle from the shower head in its off or drizzle mode/position. At least that's what I have observed in the past. You wouldn't get scalded or frozen when turning the shower head back on while trying to conserve water using the on/off-drizzle mode of the head.

I never had this scenario with the same make/model of shower head in our other non GD trailers. So I am somehow thinking that something is somehow different in the GD. Back pressure of the cold water keeping the inlet of the hot water heater check valve closed or.. what? A puzzlement!

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on? It's just not working like I have experienced in the past.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200528_174025.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	26809
    I had the same issue in my Imagine 2150RB. The cold side had higher pressure than the hot side just as offtohavasu described. I installed this check valve on the hot water line directly behind the shower knobs https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. There was room in the wall to add it in line without an issue. I also added this no drip shut off valve at the base of the hose https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. With the check valve there is no need for drip mode and this shuts off the water completely. It works perfectly, no more cold water blasts and the flow wasn't noticeably reduced.

I did not take any pics but it was a very easy install in my trailer. YMMV.
    Last edited by Michael2150; 05-31-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael2150, thank-you! I have no access panel, (yet), to the plumbing of the shower valves. So I just need to weigh the amount of work required vs comfort. I know that should a valve or pipe failure ever occur this will be added!!

John

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the exact same mods as Michael2150 in our Keystone Bullet travel trailer and they worked perfect. So perfect in fact that I bought the parts before we took delivery of our GD Reflection 150 series 240RL. In the Bullet the shower controls were in the corner of the shower stall leaving plenty of room to install the check valve. On the GDRV however the controls are on the side wall of the shower stall and there is no where near enough room to install there. I will be looking in the basement for a place to install it inline as close as I can get to the shower faucet. Good luck!
    Last edited by bivijrjax2; 06-03-2020 at 06:15 AM. Reason: typo
    Jeff and Tanya
    Roxy (spoiled k9)
    2017 Ford F 250 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 240RL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bivijrjax2 View Post
    I did the exact same mods as Michael2150 in our Keystone Bullet travel trailer and they worked perfect. So perfect in fact that I bought the parts before we took delivery of our GD Reflection 150 series 240RL. In the Bullet the shower controls were in the corner of the shower stall leaving plenty of room to install the check valve. On the GDRV however the controls are on the side wall of the shower stall and there is no where near enough room to install there. I will be looking in the basement for a place to install it inline as close as I can get to the shower faucet. Good luck!
    In my 2016 Imagine there is a housing that protrudes from the shower wall. I removed the 4 screws and pulled it free. There is room behind the housing in the wall to fit the backflow preventer. It was a tight fit but worked. I resealed it with silicone caulk of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shower.JPG  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that same protrusion that the valves sit or for on! Knowing that there is room but tight pleased me. So... that will be coming off, check valve installed and the valves rotated 180 degrees so the other is down.
    Thanks so much everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast