User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azink007 View Post
    I had this same issue and have (I think) resolved it. In addition to blocking off some heat to the bedroom, I noticed the problem was with the single duct running from the furnace, behind the electrical panel, to both a 2” vent under the shoe compartment by the door (2” does nothing), then continues on under the floor to the bathroom. By the time the heat reaches the bathroom it’s cold and almost no flow.

I believe I resolved it by running a brand new duct from the furnace (there is one cutout remaining) to the vent in the shoe area, and widening that vent to 4”. I then also directly connected the existing duct to the duct running to the bathroom. The new duct required cutting out an extra hole between the area under the oven and the electrical panel, which was also already pretty tight. Otherwise, it was straightforward.

The end result is much more warm air being forced to the rear of the RV where it’s much colder anyway due to the door and the windows.

I haven’t field-tested this yet, but it passes the driveway test!
    Good to hear! I’m planning on doing the same thing in the spring. I can’t believe GD didn’t do it that way at the factory.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    23BHE Owners

Did GD fix your issues? Just purchased today. Pick up in 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

did anyone had further success with improving the heat flow to the bedroom in their 23bhe? We didn't use our 2020 model in colder climate until a few weeks ago and were struggling to get the bedroom to a nice temperature (outside temp was 30F during the night). Bathroom was a sauna, of course...

I've pulled the panel under the bunk and closed the gaps around where the ducts connect to the furnace, which helped a little bit. Air temperature at the bedroom outlet went up from ~92 to ~96, not as much as I hoped for.... I also opened the underside panels on the passenger sight, and there seems to be no tears or squeezed areas in the 2" duct.... but when touching it, it's basically less than lukewarm latest when it reaches the axles.

Anyone tried other mods, before I'm considering running a whole new duct? I'm not even sure if another 2" line (a 4" is a problem due to space, I understand?) would actually help that much...

Thanks & all the best from the Pacific Northwest
    Matt

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXDale View Post
    Hi,

did anyone had further success with improving the heat flow to the bedroom in their 23bhe? We didn't use our 2020 model in colder climate until a few weeks ago and were struggling to get the bedroom to a nice temperature (outside temp was 30F during the night). Bathroom was a sauna, of course...

I've pulled the panel under the bunk and closed the gaps around where the ducts connect to the furnace, which helped a little bit. Air temperature at the bedroom outlet went up from ~92 to ~96, not as much as I hoped for.... I also opened the underside panels on the passenger sight, and there seems to be no tears or squeezed areas in the 2" duct.... but when touching it, it's basically less than lukewarm latest when it reaches the axles.

Anyone tried other mods, before I'm considering running a whole new duct? I'm not even sure if another 2" line (a 4" is a problem due to space, I understand?) would actually help that much...

Thanks & all the best from the Pacific Northwest
    Matt
    Hi Matt

I spoke to Grand Design and the rep came to the dealer. They installed a another 2” line above the existing one (yes only 2” between tank and frame but vertically more). Instead of replacing louver to a 4” they used a drill and squashed the two 4” lines in the same hole. With that not much improvement.

I called grand design again and wouldn’t let them dismiss me. They rep actually became rude. I suggested another idea which is to split the 4” line under sink side and run that 4” to the other side of bedroom floor. They approved to pay for it but I need to find a different dealer or do it myself. Existing dealer too slow and not competent.

I don’t know what else to do. I bought this unit because it had a separate bedroom (next size up). The rep on the phone told me this is not like the reflection or solitude models. The bedroom insulation is lower grade. Still I cannot get the image of the 4 seasons sticker mounted on my coach out of my head.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 GMC Yukon Denali W/Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy on the Imagine FB group installed another duct from the furnace directly under the dinette seating. Won’t help the master bedroom, but the coach would certainly be warmer! I’m planning on doing this before the fall. I’ll make the final product look more factory by tucking the ducting to the upper corner and box it in with wood and trim it out.

2021 Grand Design Imagine 23BHE
    2008 Tundra TRD Double Cab Tow Rig

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by looknow12 View Post
    Hi Matt

I spoke to Grand Design and the rep came to the dealer. They installed a another 2” line above the existing one (yes only 2” between tank and frame but vertically more). Instead of replacing louver to a 4” they used a drill and squashed the two 4” lines in the same hole. With that not much improvement.

I called grand design again and wouldn’t let them dismiss me. They rep actually became rude. I suggested another idea which is to split the 4” line under sink side and run that 4” to the other side of bedroom floor. They approved to pay for it but I need to find a different dealer or do it myself. Existing dealer too slow and not competent.

I don’t know what else to do. I bought this unit because it had a separate bedroom (next size up). The rep on the phone told me this is not like the reflection or solitude models. The bedroom insulation is lower grade. Still I cannot get the image of the 4 seasons sticker mounted on my coach out of my head.

Thanks everyone for their quick replies. We also bought the 23bhe as we wanted to stay below 30' and still have a closed bedroom. I already expected that adding a second 2" line won't do much, as it wouldn't provide warmer air due to the length involved.
    You mentioned a 4" line on the sink side. Is that the one going to the dinette? I only pulled the underbelly insulation on the passenger side up to now and saw the 2" to the bedroom and what I think is a 4" just ending in the basement area to keep the tanks heated. When I look at the furnace under the bunk, I see two 4" lines leading to the area under the bathroom. One mus be the short one to the shower, and the other then goes along the driver side frame reails and crosses over between the tanks to the dinette?

I might look into adding the additional line from the Facebook post to somewhere in the dinette area. Not really for additional heat in the main area, that seemed to be fine. But I'm thinking about blocking part of the 4" line to the bathroom/sauna, but of course I don't want to go below the required cross section from the furnace.

I agree with all of you that the "4-season-statement" is questionable with the current setup... We don't have any other main topics that we dislike on the 23bhe, but this one is kinda annoying...

Matthias
    Last edited by PDXDale; 05-18-2021 at 11:34 AM.
    2020 Imagine XLS 23bhe with a cold bedroom
    2018 F150 STX 5.0

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was referring to a 4" line that goes to the underbelly. It comes off the furnace goes to the driver side and then seems to dart in at or around the kitchen sink.. I didn't pull any more of the underbelly down, but where it turns (heads in) is not too far from the bedroom. Either use a Tee and bring a second 4" into the floor, or put a 4x2x4" tee, replace the 4" to the underbelly, make it a 2" and send the 4" to the bedroom. That would make a big difference, IF we can get there (nothing obstructing).
    Last edited by looknow12; 05-18-2021 at 12:41 PM.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 GMC Yukon Denali W/Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those that have been underneath the 23BHE what are your thoughts on using a rectangular duct with 4 inch from the furnace and to the bedroom. Something like these.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duct1.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	34690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duct2.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	34691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duct 3.PNG 
Views:	69 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	34692

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. That would be a nice solution. What's the weight of a 20' section

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We experienced the same issue with our 23 BHE. I had to take the trailer to the dealer for recalls, so I asked them to call GD to have them review their file for this thread and to provide them with data that would indicate that there is a design issue which causes the heat to not sufficiently reach the master bedroom. The dealer wanted to charge me $300 to collect the data and talk to GD. Seeing this as a warranty issue, and not wanting to reward the dealer with money I might not get back if they didn't sufficiently plead my case, I declined. Instead, I started communication with GD directly who suggested I take it to the dealer.
    As I told GD, all that did was put be between a rock and a hard place because the dealer wanted to charge to just look at it, and if GD denied the problem, which this thread indicates they have a habit of doing, I'd just be out the money. GD was less than sympathetic and refused to even acknowledge the number of owners that have experienced this same problem.
    I guess Grand Desing talks a good talk, but when it comes to actually supporting their product, they are not interested. Disappointing, to say the least.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345