User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Savage, I good information. I'm not sure mine is cutting off before temperature satisfies, but I'm not as cold yet as you. I'll keep an eye on it.

It definitely is bad ductwork design. With no dampers the bathroom is a 3 foot run. Bench is 7' and bedroom is 16' with only a two inch line that's not at all insulated.

I think the bedroom line needs to be replaced with a bigger line that's insulated. That would deliver more heat to bedroom but would also keep the burner deck from hitting its upper temp limit.

My worry is GD might not have the space throughout this run and that's why they did this.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW I closed my vent louvre in bathroom, cut it back under bench and now testing. But based on what you said this definitely ought to restrict airflow enough that the furnace shuts off due high temp

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a similar problem with the limit switch cutting off the furnace on another camper. Turned out the airflow was restricted to the vents. I added another vent and it cured the problem plus gave me better heating.
    2019 Grand Design 21BHE
    2012 GMC Yukon
    Other toys
    1929 Model A Ford Roadster
    1931 Model A Station Wagon

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I dropped the under belly on the passenger side to see for sure. As mentioned there is only a 2" line running to the master. My suspicion was that maybe there wasn't enough room for GD to put a 4". As I first peaked toward the front (master bedroom) I saw plenty of room and envisioned grabbing some 4" flex duct at Home Depot tomorrow to take care of this once and for all. But as I moved towards the back to trace it completely I could see between the frame and the grey and black tanks there isn't enough room. This is why they only ran a 2" duct. (Horrible design if I haven't moaned about it yet).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 inch line running between tank.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	30502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 inch line running to master.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	30503

I further took the panel to the furnace off. There are multiple 4" Duct's leaving it. The only 2 is the MB. It is on the opposite side (comes out towards the driver side) and has a hard turn as there is a support beam only 2-3" away from the furnace. So not only is it a small line, it has a very tight turn coming out. One 4" duct comes from the passenger side and loops back under the dinette seat. Another 4" duct comes out on the front Driver side. This goes under the shower to the bathroom. The last 4" duct comes out on the driver side towards the back and seems to follow the driver side frame channel. I am unsure where it goes. I would love to tap into it and maybe put another duct on the opposite MB wall. It could make all the difference.

Grand Design, poorly design-ed this (pun intended). I'm not sure about you all, but we should all pressure them to make this right. How can this be a 4 season model?

I tried last night with an electric heater to make it through. The temp was about 35-40. All night long I adjusted the electric portable heater, the MB Door position and the thermostat temp. Either the furnace ran constantly never shutting off. Or it wouldn't run at all. This is more than simply getting more heat to the MB. If an HVAC system isn't balanced the whole living space will never be the right temp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 inch line running between tank.jpg  
    2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 GMC Yukon Denali W/Duramax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you run a 4" line to the tanks, then split into two 2" to get by the tanks and either go back to a 4" or add a vent?
    2019 Grand Design 21BHE
    2012 GMC Yukon
    Other toys

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 29roadster View Post
    Can you run a 4" line to the tanks, then split into two 2" to get by the tanks and either go back to a 4" or add a vent?
    I was thinking that. Cause the 2" line's can probably be one over each other. It would be 4" from the furnace...btw there is another punch out facing the front of the trailer. So I can run 4" there to the tanks, the split to 2-2", then maybe back to 4".

I like the idea. Just wondering if I should be doing it. As much as I like the idea of a project, GD should be accountable for this issue.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 GMC Yukon Denali W/Duramax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design should fix it but - good luck. Talk to your dealer. I had multiple issues with my 2019 21BHE soon after I bought it including the bottom peeling off on the interstate. The Grand Design service people were not helpful but the dealer was great.
    Last edited by 29roadster; 10-31-2020 at 05:58 PM.
    2019 Grand Design 21BHE
    2012 GMC Yukon
    Other toys

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One reason they use 2 inch rather than 4 inch is the same as the duct at the far end of my house is smaller than near the heat pump. A smaller duct gives you higher pressure at a given distance than a larger duct. If you had a larger duct line, you would actually have less air moving in that vent, meaning less conditioned air (hot or cold in my home's case) than the restricted (smaller) duct produces. At least that's how they explained it to me.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You always want bigger diameter for longer runs. That gives you the CCM. This furnace can handle it

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 29roadster View Post
    I can't find 2" flex duct and splitters anywhere online

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast