User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased a Transcend 26RLS and are very happy with the build quality. When we were looking for a trailer (our first) we were between an Imagine 2600RB and the Transcend 26RLS. The Imagine line is lighter and has fiberglass walls and the Transcend is build more like a tradition aluminum sided trailer with wood framed walls. In spite of the fact that I liked the sleek look of the fiberglass walls, we decided that we like the floor plan much better on the 26RLS, so that's what we bought.

Now that we've got a year of camping experience I have noticed another other major difference between the our Transcend and my friends Imagine trailer. We never really thought about the waste plumbing "below the floor" other than tank sizes. On the Imagine line the valves (gray and black) all seem to be above the under side of the trailer and inside the heated space underneath where the tanks are. They have pipes below the trailer, but these should not have anything in them to freeze, because the valves are up inside the heated space. The Transcend on the other hand (see the pic below) has the waste pipes and gray and black valves below the trailer and they are exposed to the elements making it possible for them to freeze. Since we don't intend to do any cold weather camping right now, this isn't an issue for us..... right now, but it may be for you.

As for the Transcends build quality, we are very satisfied. We had a couple minor issues that I easily fixed and we had one issue that required a visit at a GD dealer in Syracuse NY (not where we purchased) while on a trip. A screw started to back its way out of the floor and was causing a bubble in the linoleum flooring. We called GD and found us a dealer that was nearby where we were and they fixed it the next day.

I hope this helps,

Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 260RB and we are very pleased with it. It has been across the states and currently working in the Grand Canyon for the summer. We tow it with a Tundra and so far it has been without any issues. A little near the top of the capacity, however I am happy with the combo.
    The trailer has seen temps as low as 18 and as high as 100 and it has been very comfortable across the spectrum and we have had no issues with the furnace and water heater.
    The only wish is that there is maybe an outdoor kitchen and a better seating. The theater seats are small for me 6’2” 225 and the booth is something I am going to change out this winter with a table and chairs. I’ll have to frame in the water pump and water heater but I’ll have more usable space.
    In conclusion, I am extremely happy with our purchase of the Xplor. We looked at the Imagines and they are great as well, but the price point was a little high for some of the same features you are getting With Explor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FA1A2CF7-74B3-40A3-B666-076012948ABC.jpeg  
    Last edited by Pat.mattson; 06-07-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grins88 View Post
    Hi all....we are newbies to the RV world, but we have focused our search for a new RV down to GD. We're just impressed with the overall quality of the build and the reports of excellent customer service. I'm curious to ask actual owners about their thoughts between 2 or 3 models that we've currently narrowed down to. About us...we are a family of 3 (mom, dad, almost 13-year old daughter, and a golden retriever who will travel with us). Our TV is a 2018 Silverado 5.3L V8 with towing capacity of 11,100 lbs (though I think our number we will have to watch more closely will be the payload). We are in NC, and we would travel for weekend trips fairly locally, but we also are a big road trip family, so we plan to use our TT for longer trips throughout the country.

As we have looked at the TTs, we've found that we prefer the BH models just so our daughter has some privacy (as much as you can get in a bunk) and a bed to call her own (rather than the dinette that has to be made every night). However, we have also loved some of the models that have larger living spaces rather than the bunks. As of right now, our biggest focus has been on the following models:

265bh - We absolutely love the floorplan of the Transcend XPlor 265bh. Overall, I think it's a good TT, and it fits our family well. My daughter especially loves the bunk style being a little more open (unfortunately, she has my bit of claustrophobia, so the corner bunks sometimes make her a little anxious) and the devoted closet with drawers in the steps. We would trade out the dinette for a tri-fold sofa in this plan. We also love the mid-bath, the windows in the living space (it seems a bit brighter than the Imagines that we've looked at) and the additional counter space for the kitchen. What we don't love is that there is no outdoor kitchen (although this is the ONE area that I think GD doesn't do well in these models but begins to improve upon in the Reflections) and just some of the build quality factors between this and the Imagine series.

2400bh - The Imagine 2400bh probably checks the most boxes for us, but it's a little more pricey than the 265 and the layout isn't quite as desirable to us. What it does have that we love (over the 265bh) are the upgraded steps, slightly better insulation, outdoor kitchen, and I think slightly more roomy master bedroom. We would also swap out the dinette in this one for the trip-fold sofa, but the seating in this one would be much more limited than in the 265, if we were to have friends come by, etc. Another big bonus for this one is that it's a bit smaller and lighter than the other 2, which we like for maneuverability and longer trips. Plus, I just like the outside look of the Imagine line (I know that shouldn't be a huge factor, but they're just sharp looking). I feel like, at least on the first run, our price quote we've been given for this model is a bit more competitive than the price we were quoted for the 265 (just based on percentage off MSRP), but we haven't even tried negotiating at this point, so that may not be a big issue in the long run.

2800bh - This one is probably our last pick just due to size, price, etc. The one thing that bumps this one up is that we do get the extra seating in the living area over the 2400. All other factors are similar to the 2400.

So, my questions.... is it worth trading out the floorplan that we love most (the 265) for the better build quality of the Imagine? I know the Transcend line is a bit newer, but does anyone have feedback on the true quality differences between those and the Imagines? The 2400 does check almost all of our boxes, but at the same time, each time we walk into a 265, we all 3 love that layout.

Any other input at all on models that you think we may have not thought about for our family? Right now, we aren't in a huge hurry, but if we zone in on the right model and get the right price (tough right now with the market being so saturated with buyers), we are prepared to jump on it.

Thanks in advance for your input. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through posts on this forum!
    Biggest advantage to the Imagine is the drop frame basement...huge amount of storage.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for your input! We've continued to do a ton of research, talking with friends who have campers, etc. We're actually on a little mini-trip now to check out the 2400BH, and I think that's going to be the one that will check all of the boxes for us. I still prefer the floor plan of the Transcend XPlor 265BH, but I just think it's too heavy, too long and not right for us overall. Obviously with things selling so heavily right now, we're going to be playing a waiting game, but a dealer about 6 hours from us got one in that was already sold but had the theater seating that we wanted. Since we had still yet to even walk in the 2400 (there are NONE near us), we decided to do a little road trip to Chattanooga and check it out. There's a little give and take on it, but I think it will be the right one in the end.

I can't remember who it was who mentioned having the 2250RK, but my hubby and I LOVE that model! We've already designated it as our fave when the daughter is all grown and not wanting to travel with us anymore (which will come sooner than we want). It just doesn't work as well with our daughter, unfortunately. The perfect couples camper, IMO, though!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We loved the 2250RK and the 22MLE, in the end it was the open concept of the 22MLE and all the storage that won. But its just DW and I. No more kids. Which is not your situation. What was another must for us is being able to use the bathroom and access the fridge while the slide is closed. We travel a lot and stop for lunch, and business and.... some places don't allow you to open your slide. If you think that that can be important for you, have them close the slide and see. By the floor plan I see an easy access to the bathroom but the might be a problem for the fridge and room.
    We all have different needs, which is why there's a million models and it took us 2 years to decide. I'm also new to GD but from what I gather from this forum and my experience at our dealer, Grand Design Imagine is a really solid choice. IMHO, the floor plan is as important as the build quality. It's the floor plan that you will be using unless its in the shop for repairs. But you have to be absolutely be certain that you can safely tow it. Cargo is also what you will be needing on your trips. The numbers provided by GD on the web site is really low and shy from reality. Do a search here for my name. I recently posted scale numbers after picking up the rig from the dealer.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grins88 View Post
    Hi all....we are newbies to the RV world, but we have focused our search for a new RV down to GD. We're just impressed with the overall quality of the build and the reports of excellent customer service. I'm curious to ask actual owners about their thoughts between 2 or 3 models that we've currently narrowed down to. About us...we are a family of 3 (mom, dad, almost 13-year old daughter, and a golden retriever who will travel with us). Our TV is a 2018 Silverado 5.3L V8 with towing capacity of 11,100 lbs (though I think our number we will have to watch more closely will be the payload). We are in NC, and we would travel for weekend trips fairly locally, but we also are a big road trip family, so we plan to use our TT for longer trips throughout the country.

As we have looked at the TTs, we've found that we prefer the BH models just so our daughter has some privacy (as much as you can get in a bunk) and a bed to call her own (rather than the dinette that has to be made every night). However, we have also loved some of the models that have larger living spaces rather than the bunks. As of right now, our biggest focus has been on the following models:

265bh - We absolutely love the floorplan of the Transcend XPlor 265bh. Overall, I think it's a good TT, and it fits our family well. My daughter especially loves the bunk style being a little more open (unfortunately, she has my bit of claustrophobia, so the corner bunks sometimes make her a little anxious) and the devoted closet with drawers in the steps. We would trade out the dinette for a tri-fold sofa in this plan. We also love the mid-bath, the windows in the living space (it seems a bit brighter than the Imagines that we've looked at) and the additional counter space for the kitchen. What we don't love is that there is no outdoor kitchen (although this is the ONE area that I think GD doesn't do well in these models but begins to improve upon in the Reflections) and just some of the build quality factors between this and the Imagine series.

2400bh - The Imagine 2400bh probably checks the most boxes for us, but it's a little more pricey than the 265 and the layout isn't quite as desirable to us. What it does have that we love (over the 265bh) are the upgraded steps, slightly better insulation, outdoor kitchen, and I think slightly more roomy master bedroom. We would also swap out the dinette in this one for the trip-fold sofa, but the seating in this one would be much more limited than in the 265, if we were to have friends come by, etc. Another big bonus for this one is that it's a bit smaller and lighter than the other 2, which we like for maneuverability and longer trips. Plus, I just like the outside look of the Imagine line (I know that shouldn't be a huge factor, but they're just sharp looking). I feel like, at least on the first run, our price quote we've been given for this model is a bit more competitive than the price we were quoted for the 265 (just based on percentage off MSRP), but we haven't even tried negotiating at this point, so that may not be a big issue in the long run.

2800bh - This one is probably our last pick just due to size, price, etc. The one thing that bumps this one up is that we do get the extra seating in the living area over the 2400. All other factors are similar to the 2400.

So, my questions.... is it worth trading out the floorplan that we love most (the 265) for the better build quality of the Imagine? I know the Transcend line is a bit newer, but does anyone have feedback on the true quality differences between those and the Imagines? The 2400 does check almost all of our boxes, but at the same time, each time we walk into a 265, we all 3 love that layout.

Any other input at all on models that you think we may have not thought about for our family? Right now, we aren't in a huge hurry, but if we zone in on the right model and get the right price (tough right now with the market being so saturated with buyers), we are prepared to jump on it.

Thanks in advance for your input. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through posts on this forum!
    Thank you so much for posting this thread! We are in a similar predicament, but deciding between the Transcend Xplor 247BH, Imagine 2400, and the Imagine XLS 23BHE. The Xplor wasn’t even on our radar until we decided to check it out on a whim today while looking for a different trailer (we also love the open bunks - we have a 6-year old). We drive a 2020 RAM 1500 5.7L V8 with a payload of 1855 and max tow of 8855. While I love the Xplor, I worry about the length. And after reading every comment on this thread, I’m starting to think the 23BHE might better suit us for both length and weight. And would limit us the least in accessing state and national parks. Not that I can find any near us right now, good thing we aren’t in a big hurry! 😂🤦🏻**♀️

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were looking at purchasing the transcend xplor 265BH because of the layout and price point were great for our family. We live in the NW and had trouble finding a 265 close enough to go look at. We wanted to be able to touch and feel how it would work for our family. We had planned a trip 4 hours away to finally walk through one and my whole house got sick. While we were sick we discovered the Imagine 2910BH. Pretty much the same layout, better insulation, better construction, higher price point. But our local dealer, less than 100 miles away, had two coming in the following weekend. Took a trip, just us two, negotiated a price that we were comfortable with and just signed yesterday on the Imagine. We couldn’t be happier. Got close to 25% off MSRP and we’re picking it up a couple weeks before Christmas! We’re pulling with a 2005 F350 diesel. It’s our first RV and we see us holding on to this one till our 2 and 6 year old boys grow out of the bunks! Hopefully we get a solid 10 years!
    We personally think the Imagine was worth the higher price because of our situation. We want 4 season camping and 50% of our camping will probably be dry. Maybe not the first year while we get used to the trailer. But we want to go from snow to desert.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny’n’Jason View Post
    We were looking at purchasing the transcend xplor 265BH because of the layout and price point were great for our family. We live in the NW and had trouble finding a 265 close enough to go look at. We wanted to be able to touch and feel how it would work for our family. We had planned a trip 4 hours away to finally walk through one and my whole house got sick. While we were sick we discovered the Imagine 2910BH. Pretty much the same layout, better insulation, better construction, higher price point. But our local dealer, less than 100 miles away, had two coming in the following weekend. Took a trip, just us two, negotiated a price that we were comfortable with and just signed yesterday on the Imagine. We couldn’t be happier. Got close to 25% off MSRP and we’re picking it up a couple weeks before Christmas! We’re pulling with a 2005 F350 diesel. It’s our first RV and we see us holding on to this one till our 2 and 6 year old boys grow out of the bunks! Hopefully we get a solid 10 years!
    We personally think the Imagine was worth the higher price because of our situation. We want 4 season camping and 50% of our camping will probably be dry. Maybe not the first year while we get used to the trailer. But we want to go from snow to desert.
    Congrats and welcome to the gang. I think you'll love the upgrades that the Imagine has over the other models.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Sheryl View Post
    Welcome Grins88

We travel alot. Or did anyway.

I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Mostly we stay in state/national parks, followed by boondocking, driveways, and RV parks in that order. I came across a statistic a while ago (back when we had a micro trailer) that heavily influenced our choice of the current trailer: "A 30 foot RV will fit in 70% of RV spaces in state and national parks, a 35 footer will fit in half." I don't know where I heard it, but it aligns with my experience. The shorter you are, the bigger your options.

Because we boondock frequently, we often travel with some water/waste in the tanks. That adds to the weight. My 2250RK has a UV weight around 5600 lbs. To my surprise, I weighed in at 6600 lbs a month into a two month trip. I think the posted UV weights are bogus and you need to get an actual loaded weight.

A couple of folks have made recommendations on weight calculations, they all look good. You'll see lots of other methods for calculations on the net. Don't be lured into a methodology that justifies your trailer choice being ok with your truck. I believe it was Ron that recommended a 7000 lb limit for a half ton truck. I wholly endorse him. With 6600 lbs the F150 got a little squirrely at times. That truck was rated at 8200 lbs. More advertising optimism. Your half ton will be fine at, just remember, slow prevents a lot of problems.

Lastly, and this is minor, I'm not a big fan of outdoor kitchens. I've seen l campers with discoloration from heat or smoke. I carry a coleman stove and a little gas grill. There's almost always a picnic table. There's your outdoor kitchen.

Steve
    I’m not too crazy about the outdoor kitchen either, which is why it wasn’t a factor in picking our Transcend bunkhouse. I still have my outdoor kitchen from Bass Pro Shops and that thing works just fine. The outdoor storage in the back of the 265bh has 120v plugs so we just got a mini fridge and stuck it in the back and we still have room for the games and other things we bring up for outside.

I’ve towed our 265 with my Ram 1500 and our Ram 2500 and while the 1500 CAN pull it, I strongly recommend the 3/4 ton if possible. Yes you can pull slow with the 1500, but those times when you need to slow down going downhill or because Little Johnny Jet in his little Honda suddenly needs to go zoom zoom right between you and the next lane on the freeway, you’ll appreciate the additional power.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123