User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    We were a very similar situation with almost the same decisions to be made. We’re towing with a 2017 Tundra double cab, have 2 kids (13 and 9) and a small dog. We’re using a 4-point Equalizer hitch. We’re new to RV’ing but not to towing or camping in general. We went with the 2400BH in the end and I’ll try to explain why we did.

The Xplor 265 has one of the best, if not the best floor plan in a travel trailer out there. We loved the layout online and in person. I was dead set on buying one but when I went to look at it I was a little disappointed. Maybe the one I looked at was built and inspected on a Friday afternoon but it really seemed thrown together and there were a lot of issues both inside and outside. Very disappointing because we loved the layout so much. I also didn’t like the rollover couch in the 265, just wasn’t comfortable to me. The other thing I didn’t like was that the drain piping was hanging way down and I also realized that the drain valves were exposed making this more of a 3 season trailer or even shorter for me because I love camping a live in the mountains of NM (we still had a couple nights below freezing last week). Another thing was the way the frame, particularly the A-frame welds at the front of the trailer looked rushed and cold. Maybe it was just this one but still a lot of stuff that stood out to me.

The other floor plan we liked on line was the 243BH but I couldn’t find one near me to look at.

That same visit at the RV dealership, I then looked at the Imagine 2800BH. The build quality and fit and finish seemed so much better than the Transcend line and we both like the colors better. The axles are beefier and I like the design of the frame and the welds looked better. I also like the smooth sides and the drains are tucked up higher and the drain valves are enclosed making this closer to a 4 season trailer. I also like the outdoor kitchen. The entire trailer and floor just seemed better built and flexed less when I was checking it out. The roof is a little taller and has more of a barrel curve to it which makes it seem roomier.

The 2400BH has the same qualities but is shorter so you lose the couch. It also has lighter duty axles but I don’t see this as a problem because it is lighter than the 2800. We discussed our situation with each other and decided the couch wasn’t that big of a deal to us and we wanted to stay a little shorter on overall trailer length and of course stay a little lighter. I’m changing jobs this year and could possibly end up living out of this trailer, at least for a little while, until we settle on a new house and the family joins me.

Having towed and camped this combo a few times, once off-road boondocking, we’re happy with the decision we’ve made. Like the OP, we’re limited by payload first and foremost. I haven’t weighed my setup yet but it tows nice. I know it’s back there but I have no trouble pulling, stopping, controlling or maneuvering it. In fact, the day we brought it home (80 miles on I-40) there were some strong crosswinds but the trailer never swayed and I never felt like it was pushing me around. My truck doesn’t squat much with the tongue weight and levels out straight with the Equalizer hitch, with just 5 psi in the airbags (I added those for other loads/trailers I have). I don’t think the 2800 or the 265 would’ve gave my truck or myself much hassle but we would’ve been close, if not over our payload limit. We also went with a somewhat shorter trailer because of the length restrictions on some parks and campgrounds we are more likely to visit. On our first couple outings, we had plenty of room for us.

I really wish Grand Design would make the Transcend 265 floor plan in the Imagine line. I do know GD makes this floor plan in a 5th wheel platform (One of the reflection plans I believe) but that would’ve definitely pushed us over our payload limit (even though I see Tundras all the time pulling similar 5th wheel trailers). Maybe if/when I upgrade trucks in the future.....

Attachment 26860

Attachment 26861
    Ron...thanks so much for your input! We really are in similar shoes. I agree with you...the layout of the 265BH is the best we've seen. Our daughter in particular loved it, but we had a lot of the same concerns that you mentioned (build quality, outdoor kitchen, etc.). We loved the mid bath because of all the extra elbow room, and the open bunks are amazing. The 2 models that we looked at seemed pretty structurally sound with no major issues, but I was concerned about that. Our big swing was the extra length and weight. We're still not 100% decided, but we're getting closer.

Do you mind my asking what your Tundra's payload is?

Your photo looks amazing! I do super love that extra big awning on the 2400! Happy trails!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really wish Grand Design would make the Transcend 265 floor plan in the Imagine line. I do know GD makes this floor plan in a 5th wheel platform (One of the reflection plans I believe) but that would’ve definitely pushed us over our payload limit (even though I see Tundras all the time pulling similar 5th wheel trailers). Maybe if/when I upgrade trucks in the future.....
    We said this same thing. I actually talked with one salesperson who said he really thinks it's coming. Maybe not within the next year but soon since that floor plan has been so well received, it will probably be used in the Imagine line. Now...time will tell if that's true or not, but I do hope so.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grins88 View Post
    ...I do super love that extra big awning on the 2400! Happy trails!
    If you're new to RVing, you may not want to hear that a larger awning is just more sail area to catch the wind and fly to the other side of your RV. Old-timers' rule: the awnings aren't out unless we're under them.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grins88 View Post
    Ron...thanks so much for your input! We really are in similar shoes. I agree with you...the layout of the 265BH is the best we've seen. Our daughter in particular loved it, but we had a lot of the same concerns that you mentioned (build quality, outdoor kitchen, etc.). We loved the mid bath because of all the extra elbow room, and the open bunks are amazing. The 2 models that we looked at seemed pretty structurally sound with no major issues, but I was concerned about that. Our big swing was the extra length and weight. We're still not 100% decided, but we're getting closer.

Do you mind my asking what your Tundra's payload is?

Your photo looks amazing! I do super love that extra big awning on the 2400! Happy trails!
    Thanks for the compliments! We're loving it!

As for the payload on the Tundra, I forget the exact number but it's a little under 1400 lbs. With all of us in the truck, trailer connected, we're probably real close to that, if not over. I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet. That being said, it pulls, stops, and maneuvers easily.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the compliments! We're loving it!

As for the payload on the Tundra, I forget the exact number but it's a little under 1400 lbs. With all of us in the truck, trailer connected, we're probably real close to that, if not over. I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet. That being said, it pulls, stops, and maneuvers easily.
    Awesome! That helps so much! We just got our negotiation offer back from the dealer (they're not really being overly generous right now since we would be special ordering and things are so hot but we do feel like it's a decent price), so we're weighing it all out (no pun intended).

So glad you're enjoying it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were shopping those same models and my wife fell in love with the floor plan of the 265BH. Our dealer had all of the models on the lot, the Transcend 265 and 24BH, and the Imagine 2400 and 2800BH. We were in and out of all of them ALL day. The 265 was the one that won out for us. We have 2 daughters, a 2 year old and 4 year old, and they love the bunks. I really like the steps going to the bunks to make it easier for them, and just the overall layout. The tow vehicle is a Ram 1500 with the tow package and payload on the door sticker of 1660. I haven't weighed everything yet, but with an estimated max tongue weight of 960 lbs (12% of the GVWR of 7,995), that would leave us 700 lbs which should give us some wiggle room. Towing it home on I-75 I kept it at 65mph and below and everything went very smooth. I liked the upgraded construction of the Imagine 2800BH but the floor plan didn't compare to the 265BH for us. Then factoring in the added cost of the 2800BH it was a pretty easy decision for us.

The 265 we looked at on the lot had been sold already and they had 2 in transit that were already sold. We found out you could special order the theater seating over the U-shaped dinette so we went that route. The order was placed just before covid shut everything down and were told middle of April for delivery. When everything shut down we were told probably June or July for delivery. The dealer called us in the middle of April though and someone's financing had fallen through on a 2021 265BH, with the theater seating, so we picked that one up the next week and brought it home. Looking at the dealer's site now they have 5 of the 2021 265BH models that are pending but haven't even arrived yet. It's a very popular model with an awesome layout. We haven't been able to take it out yet, but have been using the down time to do our part to stimulate the economy and buy all the accessories for it. Just a warning, this site will cost you lots of money. We decided to upgrade the steps for the rear entry and added the Morryde steps and added the TV to the bedroom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200424_173831.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	26953

Name:	20200502_180246.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	26954

Name:	20200523_195100 copy.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	26955

Name:	20200524_162705 copy.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	26956

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and glad you're asking questions sooner than later. Personally, any combo on TT of 30'+ and 7k+ GVWR is 3/4 ton territory. Based on your choices the 2400BH is doable, but your limiting factor is the payload rating on your LTZ. I pull with a '12 GMC Sierra SLT with 6.2l and payload of 1440. It's just the two of us and we're maxed out if we bring our kayaks with us. My Imagine XLS 22 MLE is a few hundred pounds lighter than the 2400BH and you may struggle with 6% grades. I think you would be ok on flat lands, but mountains will be a challenge. Just my .02, and take it for what it is worth. Stay safe.
    2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l aka "Luci"
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE aka "Desi"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Grins88

We travel alot. Or did anyway.

I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Mostly we stay in state/national parks, followed by boondocking, driveways, and RV parks in that order. I came across a statistic a while ago (back when we had a micro trailer) that heavily influenced our choice of the current trailer: "A 30 foot RV will fit in 70% of RV spaces in state and national parks, a 35 footer will fit in half." I don't know where I heard it, but it aligns with my experience. The shorter you are, the bigger your options.

Because we boondock frequently, we often travel with some water/waste in the tanks. That adds to the weight. My 2250RK has a UV weight around 5600 lbs. To my surprise, I weighed in at 6600 lbs a month into a two month trip. I think the posted UV weights are bogus and you need to get an actual loaded weight.

A couple of folks have made recommendations on weight calculations, they all look good. You'll see lots of other methods for calculations on the net. Don't be lured into a methodology that justifies your trailer choice being ok with your truck. I believe it was Ron that recommended a 7000 lb limit for a half ton truck. I wholly endorse him. With 6600 lbs the F150 got a little squirrely at times. That truck was rated at 8200 lbs. More advertising optimism. Your half ton will be fine at, just remember, slow prevents a lot of problems.

Lastly, and this is minor, I'm not a big fan of outdoor kitchens. I've seen l campers with discoloration from heat or smoke. I carry a coleman stove and a little gas grill. There's almost always a picnic table. There's your outdoor kitchen.

Steve
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We chose the Transcend 247BH after looking at the Imagine 2400 BH and other Transcends noted above. We wanted the open bunks for kiddos and ended up preferring no slide-outs. We wanted the Imagine 2400BH but the Transcend met our needs and budget perfectly.

The Transcend seems very well built and has fared well on first trips. The first trip had a leak in the bathroom but it was just due to plumbing not being tightened fully. That is now a pre-trip check item.

The only issue so far is that the heating ducts reduce too much going to mid and rear cabin. 80% of the air comes out in the master bedroom, which may leave the rest colder on brisk nights. We checked duct attachments as much as possible but the reduction in from around 4” to 2” just seems to limit airflow.

Good luck and safe travels to you all.

The Bunkhausers

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure where you came up with your tow capacity number but based on my experience with Ford you have to dig pretty deep to find the true number. They advertise a maximum tow capacity of 13,200 lbs but that is for a very specific vehicle very specifically equipped. After a lot of searching I found my specific truck has a max tow capacity of around 11,500 lbs. That's 1700 lbs less than the number they like to promote. Then you dig a little deeper factoring in Combined Gross Weight Rating and now my truck can only tow around 10,500 lbs. Hopefully the number you have is accurate for your truck if you have really dug deep into the numbers.

There's a guy with a Youtube channel and I think it's called Big Truck Big RV. Anyway I've watched several of his videos and he recommends not towing a TT over 6000 lbs with a half ton truck.

I just bought a Imagine XLS 17MKE which is the smallest lightest trailer GD makes which is fine for just me and my wife. We decided on the trailer before we bought our truck which is a 2020 Ford F150 Ecoboost with max trailer tow package. With 375HP, 470 FtLbs torque, and the trailer GVWR 4500 lbs less than the trucks tow capacity I'm confident I can pull it comfortably and safely. BTW - I traded in a 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 with a max tow capacity of 6400 lbs which on paper verified by Youtubers doing it would tow the 17MKE but NOT comfortably or safely in my opinion. I bit the bullet and bought a new tow vehicle. You have a tough decision to make.

One more thing. In my humble opinion buy the trailer you really like being in. Otherwise you may end up forever regretting your decision. Take it from a senior citizen who once made a similar mistake.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast