User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Can I ask one more question, and I only ask because I have heard of this happening, but do you think the tire shop lifted your trailer buy the middle of the axle and ultimately bent it the other way? IE, they put a floor jack in the middle of the trailer and lifted one axle at a time? Makes me wonder if there is really two issues going on. IE, it started with the camber and then after the tire repair, a bent axle. Just a thought...
    Actually, I changed that tire myself
    - on the side of the interstate. Luckily, I had purchased one of those “tire buddy” ramp things that you pull the camper up onto, in order to lift the other tire. Swapped on the spare; took the blown tire to the tire store the next day and had it replaced. I then swapped the original wheel/new tire back onto the camper myself when we got back home from the trip. I used a floor jack, positioned under the u-bolts.

Thanks for the link. I’ll probably start with my dealership on Monday morning - they’ve always been great to work with. I looked at my paperwork - appears Lippert offers a 6 year manufacturer warranty on the axles. And the extended warranty also covers them. So hopefully this won’t be a major ordeal.

One word of caution to anyone reading this: the lug nuts on the wheels take a different socket than the lug nuts on the spare. I’m a “prepared” kind of person, so I had the tire buddy, and had put a breaker bar and socket in the camper in case I ever had a blowout. But I had only packed a 3/4” socket because that’s what fit the wheels. Imagine my surprise to discover that the lugs on the spare are 7/8”... Luckily, I had a good pair of Knipex pliars that would get a good bit on the spare tire lugs.
    I went out and bought a pack of 3/4” lugs and replaced the ones on the spare so they all match now. Kinda makes you scratch your head on who decided to use two different sizes... [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 53flattie1 View Post
    Yes - the level is touching the bottom of the tire in that picture, and passes over the center cap. I wanted to get a picture with the tape measure, but I didn’t have three hands. You’re almost dead-on - it was 1.25” out of plumb from bottom to top.

And good eye on the rim - that’s road rash from when the tire blew out on the previous trip. I now suspect that the excessive wear on the inside, due to the negative camber, caused that tire to blow.

How would I go about starting a conversation directly with GD about this? Just call the general number, or is there a specific number / department that I should call?

I dug out all my paperwork and I need to go through it to see if Dexter offers any kind of manufacturer warranty. The factory warranty is out because we took delivery of this unit in April of 2018 (even though it’s titled as a 2019). And I need to look over the extended warranty paperwork to see what it has to say about it...

The number for Grand Design Customer Service is 574-825-9679. Since you are out of warranty, though, you might want to start with a good trailer shop. They could replace the axles (and anything else that needs it) a lot cheaper than you could get the parts from Grand Design or your dealer would charge you for parts and labor.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 05-31-2020 at 09:11 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I changed that tire myself
    - on the side of the interstate. Luckily, I had purchased one of those “tire buddy” ramp things that you pull the camper up onto, in order to lift the other tire. Swapped on the spare; took the blown tire to the tire store the next day and had it replaced. I then swapped the original wheel/new tire back onto the camper myself when we got back home from the trip. I used a floor jack, positioned under the u-bolts.

Thanks for the link. I’ll probably start with my dealership on Monday morning - they’ve always been great to work with. I looked at my paperwork - appears Lippert offers a 6 year manufacturer warranty on the axles. And the extended warranty also covers them. So hopefully this won’t be a major ordeal.

One word of caution to anyone reading this: the lug nuts on the wheels take a different socket than the lug nuts on the spare. I’m a “prepared” kind of person, so I had the tire buddy, and had put a breaker bar and socket in the camper in case I ever had a blowout. But I had only packed a 3/4” socket because that’s what fit the wheels. Imagine my surprise to discover that the lugs on the spare are 7/8”... Luckily, I had a good pair of Knipex pliars that would get a good bit on the spare tire lugs.
    I went out and bought a pack of 3/4” lugs and replaced the ones on the spare so they all match now. Kinda makes you scratch your head on who decided to use two different sizes... [emoji849]

Yeah, I've read that about the different sizes of lugs on the tires, what a way to make a crappy situation even worse if you didn't know that and didn't have the right size socket.

Let us know how you make out in the end. If you do get new axles, maybe look at upgrading the rest of the system like the equalizer, bushings, shackles, bolts, etc. It's only money, which is easy to say when it's not your own

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your 2400BH have 3500lb axles?

I carry a four way, kinda old fashioned but it’s only like 6lbs and it means I can undue four different size lugs including 3/4 and 7/8.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    Does your 2400BH have 3500lb axles?

I carry a four way, kinda old fashioned but it’s only like 6lbs and it means I can undue four different size lugs including 3/4 and 7/8.
    Yes - it has the Dexter 3500lb axles.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming you have the axles with the 3" beam right, and not the ones with the 2-3/8" beam? Looking on the Grand Design parts lookup, it lists two, but the 2-3/8" says Do not use, so they must have switched at some point. I was watching some videos on the MORryde upgrade, and a video came up with someone having it installed on their Reflection (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_wyijN79Y) If you jump to the 1:18 spot, you can see them lifting just the unloaded axle with a floor jack, and you can see the crown curve on it...
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our last non-GD trailer had Lippert 3500# axles. I must have hit an island or curb and whacked the camber on one wheel. Fortunately we have a very good heavy truck frame shop near us that was able to bend and re-align both axles without replacing them.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming you have the axles with the 3" beam right, and not the ones with the 2-3/8" beam? Looking on the Grand Design parts lookup, it lists two, but the 2-3/8" says Do not use, so they must have switched at some point. I was watching some videos on the MORryde upgrade, and a video came up with someone having it installed on their Reflection (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_wyijN79Y) If you jump to the 1:18 spot, you can see them lifting just the unloaded axle with a floor jack, and you can see the crown curve on it...
    I was under the impression that the 3" beam axles were the weak, damage prone axles and were being replaced with the 3.5" beam axles. I measured my model year 2020 (built in June or July 2019) 2400BH when I first was looking at it and recall axles having 3.5" beams. I'll have to remeasure.... There were a couple XLS Imagines that had either the 2-3/8" or 3" axles and I could easily tell the difference.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    I was under the impression that the 3" beam axles were the weak, damage prone axles and were being replaced with the 3.5" beam axles. I measured my model year 2020 (built in June or July 2019) 2400BH when I first was looking at it and recall axles having 3.5" beams. I'll have to remeasure.... There were a couple XLS Imagines that had either the 2-3/8" or 3" axles and I could easily tell the difference.
    Let me know what you find out, I'm very curious. If I am reading the Dexter catalog correctly, all their axles up-to 7000lbs or 8000lbs are offered with 3" beams maximum, and then when you are at the heavy-duty axles is when they are above 3". Again, that's assuming I am reading the catalog correctly
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was watching some videos on the MORryde upgrade, and a video came up with someone having it installed on their Reflection (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_wyijN79Y) If you jump to the 1:18 spot, you can see them lifting just the unloaded axle with a floor jack, and you can see the crown curve on it...
    Thanks for the link. You’re right, the axle definitely has a crown. It had previously occurred to me that the crown in both axles is very uniform and that perhaps it is supposed to be that way. I think your video confirms that.

I’m not sure on the diameter of the beams. I’ll have to check it today. It certainly appears to be 3”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast